Dunlop RoadSmart II - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 137 Old 05-03-2012, 08:25 AM

Garage
I didn't really care for the Bridgestones, they lacked the wet traction that I need. The PR3's just stick in the rain. They all will wiggle a little on paint, but 99.9% great, avoid paint though. I will try the Dunlops next, I have always liked the confidence they have given me in wet weather as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 137 Old 05-03-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevel-man View Post
What model of bridgestone bt021 or bt020 ?
BT021 190/55 rear and BT022 120/70 front. These are strictly OE tires and are available at relatively low prices compared to other brands. I guess that reflects low demand for them.

2012 K 1600 GT (original US pre-order #901, from 8/6/2011)
post #13 of 137 Old 05-03-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitts View Post
I may just have to try both the PR3s and the RSIIs and see what I like best.

I feel the same way. I just put the PR3's on. So far, they're really nice. I do hear a little more road noise than I would expect. Perhaps the RSII's after this will help me decide which is best for my riding style.

K1600GT Lt. Grey Metallic
Pre-Order #177
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 137 Old 05-03-2012, 02:30 PM

Does anyone know if these will be a RE-INFORCED TIRE? How about a "B" rating to boot?

I know the PR2 and PR3 tires and the Battlax tires are not.

Rich

The answer is always "NO" unless you ask.
post #15 of 137 Old 05-08-2012, 02:56 PM

I just got a set of of the new Bridgestone BT023 GT's, because I can't wait for the Dunlops either. What little I've read on these tires is all good, but I'm really a Dunlop man. It's funny, but any rear tire on any bike that I've owned always only lasts about 3,500 miles. The Metzelers on the K1600 were no different.
post #16 of 137 Old 05-08-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K16GT View Post
I feel the same way. I just put the PR3's on. So far, they're really nice. I do hear a little more road noise than I would expect. Perhaps the RSII's after this will help me decide which is best for my riding style.
Has anyone else worn out a set of PR3's? My OEM Metzlers lasted about 11,000 km. I got about 12,000 out of the PR3's. I had hoped for better. The PR3's are higher priced here, so I'm going to try another set of Metzlers.
post #17 of 137 Old 05-08-2012, 03:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to GKgloc Send a message via Skype™ to GKgloc
After around 5,200 miles on my OEM K8's, I swapped them out for a set of Dunlop Q2's. I now have a thousand miles on the Q2's, they stick like glue, ride smooth, and are quiet (no tire humming when leaned over). No worries about the rain, I do ride agressive, but not in the rain, with DTC and ABS, I'm covered. Would I get another set of Q2's.....yes, but I'm hoping tire wear will be at least 7K+miles on this set.
post #18 of 137 Old 05-09-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHB2 View Post
Does anyone know if these will be a RE-INFORCED TIRE? How about a "B" rating to boot?

I know the PR2 and PR3 tires and the Battlax tires are not.

Rich

The answer is always "NO" unless you ask.
Turns out that the BT-023 Battlax is apparently available as a "reinforced" GT version, though the 190/55 rear doesn't appear on the Bridgestone Web site.

2012 K 1600 GT (original US pre-order #901, from 8/6/2011)

Last edited by realworld51; 05-09-2012 at 08:27 PM.
post #19 of 137 Old 07-07-2012, 01:21 PM

I just had a set of Roadsmart II's installed on my GTL, last Wednesday 6/27/2012 and I am very pleased with the results. I had 7600 miles on the Metzeler, Z8's at that time of this change. The Z8's were, possibly, good for another 1000 miles but handling was non-existant by that time. The Z8's performance, for the duration, was less than I had expected from Metzeler. Traction limitations being the primary concern and reduced longevity, from wear, being the secondary concern. I decided that I needed to try a different brand of tire.
I chose the Dunlop Roadsmart II tire as a result of a review, which appeared in Rider Magazine. The purchase was not an easy task, as these tires are just being introduced into the USA, in sizes the are suitable for the BMW/K1600GT/GTL. Before going to the Americade rally in June, I called Dunlop customer service to ask if Dunlop would have a booth at that rally. I was told that Dunlop would be at Americade and that they would have a 120/70-ZR17 for the front and a 190/50-ZR17 for the rear. Obviously, the rear tire was the wrong size, so, I asked about the availability of the 190/55-ZR17. I was told to contact a Dunlop dealer to check for availabilty. I did but to no avail. No one had these tires for sale, to me.
Three weeks later, after many conversations with Dunlop customer service, I was told that the 190/55-ZR17 was shipped to 2 distributors, Tucker Rocky and Parts Unlimited. I contacted the Parts Unlimited distributorship and they confirmed that they had this tire and explained what I had to do in order to make a purchase. I contacted one of their dealers and ordered the tires. I got them a week later and had them installed just before I left on a trip to Vermont.
I, now, have a shade over 1500 miles on the new Roadsmart II tires. Most of those miles have beem on roads through the Berkshires in Massachusetts, the Green Mountains of Vermont and New Hampshire's White Mountains. While these roads are not comparible to the Dragon or Deals Gap, they still represent a reasonable challenge for many of us riders and, certainly, can be considered an adequate test surface to guage tire performance.
The initial impression, when the tires were first installed, was that the GTL felt lighter and more agile. I didn't try any agressive riding until I had, over, 200 miles on the tires. My plan was to progress slowly into a more challenging ride so that I could get a feel for the tire's capability. The K16 wouldn't wait! I found myself riding this motorcycle as I hadn't ridden in many years. These Roadsmart 2 tires make this BMW flickable and stickable. Smooth transitions and impressive traction gave me confidence to ride the Beemer as, I'm sure, the BMW engineers envisioned it to be ridden. Noise levels are higher than those I experienced, at initial mileage, with the Z8's. I'll try to keep you posted on tire quality and wear duration as things progress.
The bottom line is that the Dunlop Roadsmart 2 tires are such an improvement that the K100GTL seems to be a different motorcycle than the one I purchased in January. It's lots more fun to ride.

Last edited by lawretj; 07-07-2012 at 01:26 PM.
post #20 of 137 Old 07-07-2012, 11:38 PM

Wes,
Since this thread is resurrected, I will respond your question about the PR3. Have not tracked the PR3 on my K1600GT yet (doctor spoiled my plans for this weekend). However, have tracked them with my R1200S. The front sticks very well, but the rear will spin up under full lean and lots of throttle in a slightly off-camber turn. However, they are very predictable and at no time did I feel uneasy. Suggest you will only notice some traction control nanny action with them if you give WFO on exit with the K1600GT.

Wear is really very good on that same motorcycle. With nearly 5k mile of slabbing type commuting, only see a slight wear to the center. Turn in is quick, but mid-corner stability does not suffer at all.

In the wet, they are truly in another dimension. In Houston city streets in the wet, I have traversed manhole covers with only a slight slip and grip as soon as pavement is contacted. With other tires, a slide could be expected even after clearing the slippery steel.

If you ride only in the dry, there may be better tires; but when it comes to tread wear, wet and dry traction on the street, I just don't know of a better tire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page