Carbon fibre rims - Page 11 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 106 Old 04-16-2014, 04:17 PM

Garage
I am intrigued by these, but the price would have to be $2000 for a pair with ceramic bearings before I could seriously consider it.

Primary: 2016 BMW K1600 GTL (blue matte)
Secondary: 2011 Yamaha Stryker (red)
Past bikes: 2012 BMW K1600 GTL (blue), 2002 Honda VTX 1800C (blue), 1997 Suzuki Intruder 800 (red)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 106 Old 04-16-2014, 07:40 PM

Group buy was BS from BST. I tried to order a set directly and they did not respond to several emails. I opted to have my stock wheels powder coated...

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
post #103 of 106 Old 04-16-2014, 09:57 PM

Yes I have BST carbon fibre rims on a 2013 K1600GT . They look great. Angled valves on them very pretty. I guess to some degree there is a noticeable difference in unsprung weight whatever that means and acceleration, cornering although for $5300 Cnd that I paid for them I wonder if the difference that I do not notice is worth it ? Here in Alberta we have in the northern region, potholes in our roads that destroy cars and bikes. One friend just bought an HP4 and his second day hit a pot hole and destroyed his front rim...$1600 cost. I am real careful as to where I ride with carbon fibre rims as some here have already switched back due to the enormous pot holes we have. They do reduce a significant amount of weight from the bike and are a novelty that few have thus bragging rights but performance wise if that is what one seeks a set of Marchisini alloy rims would be the better way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 106 Old 04-16-2014, 10:06 PM

Carboon fiberr

I have this set on my 2013 GT ! Looks pretty but not a huge difference in performance. Weight savings but if you have pot holes in the roads like we here in alberta, canada do then you might consider leaving them stock. They are very attractive on the bike, i have had no problems in a year with them but the cost versus performance I cannot justify. I have them simply for bragging rights as few riders on any bike up here have them if any. A wealthy persons wish is what they are . But isnt everything ?
post #105 of 106 Old 04-17-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge9421 View Post
I am intrigued by these, but the price would have to be $2000 for a pair with ceramic bearings before I could seriously consider it.

That will never happen. You can only bring costs down so much... The ceramic bearings alone are $3-400.

Some things aren't for everyone. After riding a VMax equipped with BSTs, I won't own a street bike with out them!
post #106 of 106 Old 04-19-2014, 08:01 PM

A good article on wheels.

I installed Marchesini forged magnesium wheels on my 2001 Ducati ST4 and saved 5.46 lbs in front, 5.24 lbs out back. I also replaced the stock stainless steel rotors with ductile iron rotors, saving 3 lbs up front and 1.5 lbs out back. And I went with a 180/55 profile rear tire vs a 170/60 thereby saving some weight in the sidewalls. If I remember, the rear tire saved about 1.5 pounds and that's rotating weight far from the hub which is a very good thing.

Front OEM wheel: 11.5 lbs. Marchesini forged magnesium wheel: 6.04 lbs
Rear OEM wheel: 13 lbs. Marchesini forged magnesium wheel: 7.76 lbs

The difference was dramatic! On the first ride, in the first corner I almost ran the bike off the road on the inside of the turn. The steering was that much quicker. I rode for a few more minutes and then returned to the garage to lower the rear ride height and slow down the steering.

Over the next few days I adjusted to the light/quick steering and realized that this new "feeling" was not only dramatically differnt from the OEM wheels, it was pure pleasure and I said to myself "I want this feeling on all motorcycles I own from now on". It is that nice. In a way it's like power steering. The bike feels much lighter and much smaller. It reacts instantly to your inputs. It feels the way I would imagine a race bike feels. Very pleasureable.

Over the next few weeks I raised the rear ride height back up and that Ducati is an amazing thing to ride.

The Marchesini forged magnesium wheels were $2400 a pair, new, back in 2005 (if I remember).

Would I do it again?

Carbon fiber wheels have a better moment of inertia but the Marchesini forged magnesium wheels are a very close second. Some forged aluminum wheels have a poor MOI and I wouldn't waste my money on them. You have to do your homework.

Without knowing the weight of the stock K1600 wheels it's impossible to know how much of an effect lighter wheels would have but lighter is better as long as the MOI is improved. Lighter at the edges, the furthest from the hub is where it matters most. CF wheels are best there - forged magnesium are very close.

I see wheels have become VERY expensive since 2005 so I personally wouldn't do it again. And it is possible our K1600 stock wheels are greatly improved and lighter compared to the anchors from yesteryear.

Find out how much the stock K1600 wheels weigh and their MOI. A good article on wheels.

2013 K1600GT and 2001 Ducati ST4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page