Wilbers ESA II Replacement Shocks - Info & Group Buy - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 134 Old 01-06-2013, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Wilbers ESA II Replacement Shocks - Info & Group Buy

From my experience shock absorbers wear out well before they fail. Without a seal failing, the slow progression of the wearing of shocks allows most to think that their shocks have always been that way. When in reality, their worn shocks are just crap.

In the past upgrades to Ohlins has resulted in much better performance with the GS and GSA. Ohlins has made it clear to their US employee that there are no plans for the K1600 ESA II.

From earlier threads I offered to explore whether there might an opportunity to get a deal for forum members from a US Wilbers importer.

Here is the standard pricing for the Wilbers ESA II replacement package:

The Wilbers WESAII units are build to customer specs and if lowering is not required we still adjust the damper characteristics to customer
request.

You can expect a tailor-made shock build to your request, serviceable / rebuildable and 5 year warranty !
Wilbers uses the OEM BMW-ESAII actuators which I will convert on the Wilbers shock bodies.

You have to send your OEM shocks to me in Edgewater once your units arrive at my shop from Germany,
this lead time is 3-4 weeks, for the conversion my turn around time is 2 days.

The complete price for a set of WESAII shocks is $ 1399,- + return shipping.
You are also getting your OEM shock bodies and springs back.

Here is the group buy deal from Herman Eshuis at Wheels and Wings USA importer for Wilbers Shocks - SteadyStand - Superformance - Export service.

If I can get 10 bikes minimum I offer a discount of 12 %
When we have more than 15 sets I will up the discount to 15 %
By 25 sets or more I will do 18%

We need to set a 2 weeks ordering window and I would prefer payments in cash or check.

PayPal is accepted though, but I need to charge 3 % costs for that.

Shipping will be at UPS published rates

Everybody has to supply a properly filled out order form.

Ride-In-Ride-Out Installation in Edgewater Florida can be done for between $ 225,- to $ 295,- Owners are welcome to help to cut down the time and cost, but I do not accept any liability if something goes wrong.

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282

Last edited by RL Lemke; 01-06-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 134 Old 01-06-2013, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Here is a review from webBikeWorld: Wilbers Shocks Electronic Suspension - webBikeWorld

While some review elements seem strange, like how the shock could be expected to make the seat more comfortable, it helps with understanding the system.

Here is the bottom line: "Conclusion
A good suspension makes all the difference in the world on a motorcycle but if replacing the stock suspension removes some functionality of the bike, what is the point?

With the Wilbers’ WESA you get to keep all the button pushing fun associated with BMW’s ESA system combined with the class leading technology and ride/handling improvements Wilbers is known for; all for a reasonable price of $1,349.00 plus shipping (more if you want Herman to install them on your bike). You’ll even get to keep your original shocks in case you want to reinstall them to sell the bike."

Here is the reviewer's personal site: http://www.2wf.com/wilbers-wesa-bmw-suspension/

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282

Last edited by RL Lemke; 01-06-2013 at 11:52 AM.
post #3 of 134 Old 01-06-2013, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

For forum members who purchased a GTL and wish they had ESA II suspension settings that allowed for settings which are more GTlike, or even more sport riding oriented, this is your best bet.

Wilbers also offers up to a 3" seat height reduction, and sidestand adjustment.

The other request I've seen on the forum is for replacement springs to accommodate the individual needs one may desire. This is an option to get not only the springs but valving best suited to your requirements.

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 134 Old 01-06-2013, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Looking through the WESA reviews, the common theme appears to be that the two best upgrades riders have purchased for their BMW are: 1) Custom Seat & 2) Suspension Upgrades.

Mirrors my experience too.

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
post #5 of 134 Old 01-06-2013, 12:24 PM

RL,

I logged on this morning to ask about the status of the group buy for the Wilbers ESA shocks. Lo and behold, this was the first thread! Thanks for your effort.

I tried to sign up but couldn't find the order form on his web site that needs to be filled out.

George
post #6 of 134 Old 01-06-2013, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I've been slow getting this thread started. Let's keep the list here until we have 10 participants. Then, we will get George's attention.

I would like to take the time to ride to his place and get the install done there.

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
post #7 of 134 Old 01-06-2013, 12:35 PM

If you haven't already done so, put me on the list. I plan to ride down there for the install.
post #8 of 134 Old 01-06-2013, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

For those interested in this offer, I would suggest that you take the time to carefully weigh the various loads on the motorcycle. Two-up and all the gear you might carry to just yourself with no gear riding around town. You might also describe your riding style, from touring to hard core sport riding. Lastly, what are your road preferences. Do you focus on freeways, or like me, do you include a whole lot of GS style paved goat trails?

Defining these three areas will allow your shocks to be valved and sprung properly, resulting in a much better performing K1600.

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
post #9 of 134 Old 01-06-2013, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Side Note: I'm reluctant to spend such a "large" sum on the K1600, now that my GT is so well set-up for my rides. What I can't convey here is just how replacing stock BMW shocks improves the entire riding experience. The improvement is dramatic.

In 2006, I ordered a 2007 R1200GSA, waiting months for delivery. I had the dealer install Ohlins replacement shocks when the crate arrived. A friend, and serious longtime GS owner, performed the Motoman break-in for me before I took delivery. He was so impressed with the GSA that he purchased the identical bike. This guy came on one of my rides and was following me on a variety of roads all through the 4 Corners states. In every situation where he noticed that his stock suspension performed poorly, my Ohlins bike made the road irregularities irrelevant. His bike wallowed, and mine performed well. When he returned from the ride, a replacement set of Ohlins shocks was immediate.

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
post #10 of 134 Old 01-06-2013, 01:41 PM

I'm in unless the cost is through the roof. While many would argue that Olins are the end all in shocks, I have used wilber's on two bikes in the past as they tend to be 1/3 less then Olins, and have found them to a very good suspension. IMHO you can't go wrong with either company

Pete Culbertson

"Not all who wander are lost". JRR Tolken

2012 K1600GTL the grey owl
2008 GSA Number seven
1973 R75/5. The hoot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page