Do You Ride On A Plugged Tire - Page 9 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 89 Old 02-22-2015, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfin31 View Post
Question....is there a portable pump that can set a bead? .
No 12v pump can set a bead. Even if you tie off the diameter of the tire with a tightened cord, there will remain some leak that will preclude it. That's why the off-road community uses starter fluid spray to ignite and the fast combustion blows the bead into place. Try that with a motorcycle tire.

I'm impressed at how I was able to ride for miles, on twisty mountain roads, at speeds of 70 mph, with a completely flat tire on my GS, without the bead breaking. Made the repair, and was off again, despite the tire smelling burnt. (No TPM in those days.)

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 89 Old 02-22-2015, 07:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL Lemke View Post
If plugged right, a tire is safe for the life of the tread. So says Michelin.
+1 Peter

"2014" Dark Graphite K1600GT SE
post #83 of 89 Old 02-22-2015, 07:23 PM

I have been plugging motorcycle tires for 30 years and never had a plug fail so quickly that it put me in anymore danger than any other slow leak did that resulted in needing to plug in first place.

I bought a brand new K1200RS at the BMW dealer in Plano Tx back when BMW supplied a tire repair kit in the tool kit. On the way back home the day I picked it up, right about dark 30 I got a rear tire flat. I was fortunate to be close to a street light and had enough light to make repair, air it up with cO2 and get home. I rode that tire till it was worn out, bought a new one and the next day got ANOTHER screw in the new tire. Repaired and wore it out. I was convinced that brand new tires attract screws.

I bought a 12V 100 PSI High Volume Air Compressor from Harbor Freight for $30 and it works great but it weights 4.5 lbs and takes up too much space, so I am going for the CyclePump Lemke recomended.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 89 Old 02-23-2015, 08:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Best of luck with getting that flatbed truck to carry your motorcycle from Alpine, AZ, or Willow Creek, CA, or Hanksville, UT or any of the numerous scenic and fun back country riding areas to that new tire location.
It's clear that there's an issue with comprehension here. I can, have, and will plug a tire. It's a temporary fix only. I don't need a flatbed to take me anywhere.

Quote:
I'll safely ride on with a Safety Seal plug and enjoy my vacation. You are right in that my style of riding is to be in the middle of nowhere, away from traffic, enjoying the scenery America offers.
You forgot the part about not doing any riding other than long trips. You're a vacation rider. A tourist. Since you don't make riding part of your life, you try to jam everything into a short period of time. That means you take shortcuts with safety, and riding the way you boast about riding with a plugged tire is a shortcut.

2005 Harley FXSTB/I (Vader)
2014 Kawi KLR650 (The Goat)
2016 Harley FLTRU (The BSR)
post #85 of 89 Old 02-23-2015, 11:38 AM

Plugging an almost new tire looks to be more solid than a tire almost down to the cords. During rear tire replacement's and looking at the amount of bonding area (depth) left on a almost worn out tire will show how little there is holding the plug in place. Yet plugs have always worked for me but while examining the plugged tire wondering how can it hold with so little surface to bond against. Curious.
post #86 of 89 Old 02-23-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belvuebill View Post
I have a safety seal plug kit and a cycle pump and would have no problem plugging a tire on the side of the road. After all, thatís why I bought the repair items. I would always rather Ďself rescueí if possible as opposed to waiting for assistance that may not be available.

During the plugging process I would be evaluating the wound to the tire, remaining tire life, other damage to the tire I may not have noticed and the quality of my repair work. From this I would decide just how much to de-tune my riding style till I get home to replace the tire.

With a good repair and otherwise good tire I would probably run at the speed limit and finish a trip. Or maybe limp along to the closest dealer with a suitable tire if I didnít like the looks of my repair work. My little trips are usually only a couple thousand miles and 10 days or less and usually with just one riding buddy to inconvenience. So if I knew I would be going past a dealer I might just stop and get it replaced if I didnít like the looks of my repair. Would I treat it like nothing happened? Absolutely not. I repaired it. I didnít restore it and I donít do this work every day. Even though I believe that a plug is an excellent side of the road fix, I have to go with my gut (Peace of mind speaking) and in this case I just would not feel comfortable riding as fast as I sometimes like to ride on a repaired tire.
Which Safety Seal kit is best for motorcycles, esp the K1600?

Cliff in Lincoln County NC
2014 K1600GTL Damask Red Metallic
2014 R1200RT (Traded up)
2008 H-D Ultra Classic (Traded for R1200 RT)
2003 H-D Heritage Softtail (Traded for Ultra Classic)
2003 H-D Sportster 1200
2003 Honda Shadow ACE 750 (crashed)
1975 Honda XL175 (the college days)
post #87 of 89 Old 02-23-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exHarley Rider View Post

exHarley Rider-

Here's what I did yesterday: I called up Safety Seal and discussed my motorcycle application with them. What they told me was that their kits typically come with 60 repair packets per box. I worked out for them to mix the 30 of the smaller plugs, with 30 of the light truck/auto plugs in their comprehensive kit for $52 (includes all the reamers and installation tools). This will include all that you need, and he included the ATV needle in the kit that RL suggested. I did have them include the 2oz. lubricant, but that may have come in the kit anyway.

Here is the link to their site:

Safety Seal

Hope this helps.

Dave R.

2015 Space age alloy-based 1,649cc inline six cylinder powered (K-48 series) sport touring (GT) motorcycle by Bayerische Motoren Werke, in HOK Burple and Stark White.

" The cure for Skinny, Uncomfortable Grips "
post #88 of 89 Old 02-23-2015, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by exHarley Rider View Post
The ATV tools from them are a better size and I would order a mixture of thin and normal sized plugs. Best if you call them as I don't think they have a mixed kit like this but they should be able to do it for you.

Chris H (formerly known here as Charlie Fogg)

2018 K1600 GTL
2014 K1600 GTL (Gone)
2015 R1200 RT (Gone)
post #89 of 89 Old 02-24-2015, 11:10 AM

Safety seal has a good product. Another option for tire repair is the Nealey Tire Repair Kit. Both have built in vulcanizing and no need for extra glue but the Nealey leaves a knot patch on the inside that wont pull out. An option to Safety seal. Sold as permanent repair. If you call there, talk to the owner Matt.

Nealey Tire Repair Kit - Contact Us
Lightfast likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page