Turn signals not self canceling properly; dealer mystified - Page 8 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 86 Old 06-04-2016, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mole999 View Post
As the majority here are stateside, I modify what I say to try and be easily recognisable, I lifted this from the web and trust it is right but I have no knowledge Football games are played on a rectangular field that measures 120 yards (110 m) long and 53.33 yards (48.76 m) wide. 120 becomes 360, but also the bike is supposed to cancel at 300m, so its there or thereabouts
No worries, mate.
You probably know more about football than I do.
Some around here call me un-American, cause I don't follow sports.

Darryl - Thanks for all you do!
RETIRED!
14BMWK1600GTL DGM
16BMWS1000XR Red
07HD FLHTCU Champion Trike
81CB750Bentforks$500
81 CB900 10speed 100HPOriginal $2.5K
81 CBX Orig 3Kmi 105HP $8K
81 CBX Frankenstein Trike $12K
1955 1st Chevy 3100 Pickup $30K
05 BMW X5
1990 Chevy 4x4
2001 Chevy Silverado 4x4
Coffintrailer $1K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 86 Old 06-04-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleymarlboroman View Post
No worries, mate.
Fishing, boating, shooting and of course cycling are the only sports I care about.
So, you're not alone bro.
Harleymarlboroman likes this.

Bob
post #73 of 86 Old 06-04-2016, 07:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
No worries, mate.
Try being a Canadian not into hockey.
I get weird looks from Americans, Canadians, Europeans when i say i don't follow hockey, priceless.
Used to work shows at the arena and would hear "wow, you're so lucky, you get to park where the hockey players park their cars and see the locker room. "
Some people are sad...

ForlornMTL aka J-F
2013 K1600 GT Light White (Dec 2015 - ...)
2002 Kawasaki Meanstreak Black (2002 - 2004)
1982 Yamaha Maxim 650 Black (1999 - 2003)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 86 Old 06-04-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Maybe these presets can be changed with a GS911 one day.
Maybe someone will suggest that.

Now that I have been reading this, my cancel seems to be inconsistent about when it works. Sometimes it seems short, sometimes longer time. On occasion, after one turn, they shut off. A few days ago, I made three right turns before they shut off. I am getting confused. Found myself going back the same way I just came from.
I don't know what BMW has planned but in their cars they are pretty good about allowing quite a bit of user customization. Maybe the bikes will follow.

2015 R1200R - 2016 K1600GT- Both gone now
post #75 of 86 Old 06-04-2016, 10:12 PM

Garage
This probably doesn't apply to most on this forum, but I have always found the short auto-off of the turn signal annoying when I am leading a group ride because it is prudent to signal well in advance of a turn or lane change to give the riders following me a chance to realize my intent. I usually have to redo my blinker two or three times before initiating my action. Often there can be a delay in recognition due to attention on road hazards or scenery, so advance warning prevents accidents within the group. Especially for right hand turns. This is particularly important when riding in close formation, but even loose formations aren't all that much reaction time if someone didn't notice my blinker immediately. When leading a large group without comms it can take time for enough bikes ahead of the tail gunner to pass the signal back so he sees the intent and knows to secure a lane for a coordinated group lane change.

Although most probably don't ride in groups, these same considerations are important to remember because traffic around you is probably even more distracted and not watching for your blinker. I have found that many riders (cars too) hit their blinker at the same moment they are initiating action. That's barely even a courtesy flash and way too late for anyone to do anything but react as things are happening rather than adjust in advance of the maneuver.

All that to say, the blinker is too short.
post #76 of 86 Old 06-05-2016, 12:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
No worries, mate.
Same here. Only watch if I can't find anything else to do......like hoe weeds...sort paper clips....count cotton seeds in a 50 lb bag..you know, fun stuff....

Roland
"The Eyes of Texas are Upon You" except those in cages talking on the phone, texting, reading newspapers, applying makeup, scratching their n*ts, ................................................

15 GTL (looking for a new home)
16 R1200 GSA
17 CVO Limited
18 GTL
post #77 of 86 Old 06-05-2016, 04:27 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge9421 View Post
This probably doesn't apply to most on this forum, but I have always found the short auto-off of the turn signal annoying when I am leading a group ride because it is prudent to signal well in advance of a turn or lane change to give the riders following me a chance to realize my intent. I usually have to redo my blinker two or three times before initiating my action. Often there can be a delay in recognition due to attention on road hazards or scenery, so advance warning prevents accidents within the group. Especially for right hand turns. This is particularly important when riding in close formation, but even loose formations aren't all that much reaction time if someone didn't notice my blinker immediately. When leading a large group without comms it can take time for enough bikes ahead of the tail gunner to pass the signal back so he sees the intent and knows to secure a lane for a coordinated group lane change.

Although most probably don't ride in groups, these same considerations are important to remember because traffic around you is probably even more distracted and not watching for your blinker. I have found that many riders (cars too) hit their blinker at the same moment they are initiating action. That's barely even a courtesy flash and way too late for anyone to do anything but react as things are happening rather than adjust in advance of the maneuver.

All that to say, the blinker is too short.
Normal should be at least three flashes when riding alone to ensure sufficient warning is given. UK is regulated between 60 and 120 flashes per minute by law for indicators, so three would be between 1.5 to 3 seconds before committing to the overtake. Cannot the group be briefed, so that the signal is passed back down the pack, with a warning that they have to make their own decision on the overtake.
post #78 of 86 Old 06-05-2016, 05:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForlornMTL View Post
Try being a Canadian not into hockey.
I get weird looks from Americans, Canadians, Europeans when i say i don't follow hockey, priceless. ......
Or a Dutchman who doesn't like soccer and doesn't drink beer.
They sometimes look at me as if I'm from another planet.
ForlornMTL likes this.

You don't give up riding when you get old ...
You get old when you give up riding.

Frank (NLD)
Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)
BMW K1600 GT Red (2011; #7 registered GT in NLD); top case w/brake light, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA-2
Member Dutch Veterans Bikers Association
post #79 of 86 Old 06-06-2016, 01:57 AM

Garage
@Mole999 , group riders are definitely briefed on how to execute maneuvers. Large groups in formation simply require a lot more advance signaling to ensure safety and smooth execution. Hand signals are also used to supplement the awareness.

Multi-lane highway lane changes take extra time to relay the turn signal all the way back and then give tail gunner time to secure the lane for a coordinated simultaneous group action.

Passing via oncoming lane is easier, with each bike passing separately and responsible for their own safely executed pass as conditions permit.

Right and left turns take extra time primarily for safety to account for diverted attention. As group leader, being in the left track of a staggered formation, I specifically watch for the rider immediately behind me in the right track to repeat my blinker and hand signal when making a right turn because they will run me smooth over if they weren't paying attention. I have actually had to abort a right hand turn because the rider clearly hadn't noticed my intent to turn. Had I simply assumed, well you can guess the probable disaster. I have found that I usually need 2 full cycles of the blinker before turning. I've had to get in the habit of hitting the blinker every 5 seconds or so to keep it active.

I admit, when I'm not in a group I generally give about three blinks before initiating my action. Sometimes more if situation warrants extra caution. Sometimes less if nobody is in striking range.

I realize most K1600 riders aren't in big coordinated groups riding in formation, so I figured my perspective on blinker usage would add some interesting insight into other usage scenarios.
post #80 of 86 Old 06-06-2016, 03:39 AM

Garage
I'm so used to cancelling by hand that sometimes I find myself hitting the signal cancel button after a tight curve. I laugh at myself when I do that...

Rich

2016 K1600GTL Exclusive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page