Crank no start... - Page 6 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 60 Old 06-26-2018, 07:18 PM

vistavette,

So the bike has had approx. 500 mi since the fuel pump was replaced one year ago.

There is no telling how long the bike sat up during that year?

Part of those miles you have put 140 miles on it since the full service 2 weeks ago.

I'll bet the fresh fuel cleaner/conditioner could be the possible intervening factor to cause the stopped up nozzles. If the bike was ridden several hundred miles over a short period the gunk may have passed thru while it was in suspension. A second full tank of fresh fuel may have pushed everything thru.
My theory is based on my recent experience really nothing else since I am a newbie to this bike and its system(s).

From my earlier post:

My bike's second fuel pump was replaced earlier this spring just before I got it with 1800 miles. I was able to talk to the techs in Austin who did the work. They told me they just replaced the pump nothing else... "the bike started and ran after the service," that was all that was indicated on the work order. I was very suspect about the fuel and the systems health in general based on reading many posts especially from RL Lemke and his cautions.

I test rode the bike in Dallas for 20 minutes and like you, I accepted the bike with factory warranty until this fall. The bike had two bars remaining on the fuel level indicator when I loaded it up. I trailered the bike to LR from Dallas and filled the tank with Non E-10 93 octane and 12oz of Chevron Total System cleaner. I ran that tank thru until the yellow tank symbol and it showed up with 235 miles. Drained the oil and filter change and I fueled up the same way for the second day. I did this for two tanks and then have gone to 1/2 rate every other tank. I have had the bike now 75 days and put about 3000 additional miles on the odometer.

It is purrrring like I was told it would.

As ViennaK has asked ... keep us posted please....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 60 Old 06-27-2018, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaK View Post
Never heard about the 100 miles per month requirement over here in the mothership’s homeland. Will read the manual front to back.
So, is the bike back in your hands and how do you like it?
The 100 mile thing is in the warranty book. What that rule failes to take into account it's the fact that somebody easily could have ridden this bike 3500 or four thousand miles the first year they had it and never rode it again. Does that now mean that BMW would warranty this situation? I understand where they're coming from on the hundred miles a month average and non use can cause these issues, but just a blanket statement of a hundred miles a month average doesn't really accomplish what they're trying to accomplish which is to not warranty something due to lack of use. A bike with 3000 miles could all have been done in one month or over the course of 2 to 3 years.

No, I do not have the motorcycle back yet. I didn't hear from the dealer yesterday. They're closed Sunday and Monday for service so I assume they're contacting BMW. Hopefully I hear back from them today.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

2015 K1600GTL
2017 Triumph Bonneville T120
post #53 of 60 Old 06-27-2018, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8or View Post
vistavette,

So the bike has had approx. 500 mi since the fuel pump was replaced one year ago.

There is no telling how long the bike sat up during that year?

Part of those miles you have put 140 miles on it since the full service 2 weeks ago.

I'll bet the fresh fuel cleaner/conditioner could be the possible intervening factor to cause the stopped up nozzles. If the bike was ridden several hundred miles over a short period the gunk may have passed thru while it was in suspension. A second full tank of fresh fuel may have pushed everything thru.
My theory is based on my recent experience really nothing else since I am a newbie to this bike and its system(s).

From my earlier post:

My bike's second fuel pump was replaced earlier this spring just before I got it with 1800 miles. I was able to talk to the techs in Austin who did the work. They told me they just replaced the pump nothing else... "the bike started and ran after the service," that was all that was indicated on the work order. I was very suspect about the fuel and the systems health in general based on reading many posts especially from RL Lemke and his cautions.

I test rode the bike in Dallas for 20 minutes and like you, I accepted the bike with factory warranty until this fall. The bike had two bars remaining on the fuel level indicator when I loaded it up. I trailered the bike to LR from Dallas and filled the tank with Non E-10 93 octane and 12oz of Chevron Total System cleaner. I ran that tank thru until the yellow tank symbol and it showed up with 235 miles. Drained the oil and filter change and I fueled up the same way for the second day. I did this for two tanks and then have gone to 1/2 rate every other tank. I have had the bike now 75 days and put about 3000 additional miles on the odometer.

It is purrrring like I was told it would.

As ViennaK has asked ... keep us posted please....
I 100% agree that the issue with this particular motorcycle is that it has been sitting and so there is/was still gunk in the fuel lines. Had I just got out on the road and ran through two full tanks of fuel I'm pretty sure it would have been okay. Unfortunately, it's summer here and 110 degrees it's just not feasible for me to get out of the road to ride that kind of miles right now. it's also my contention that BMW / the dealer should have clean the fuel lines when they did the fuel pump. It's like doing half the job.

2015 K1600GTL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 60 Old 06-27-2018, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

To add to the frustrating situation the dealer never contacted me. I called about 1:30 and had to leave the service manager a message as he was with a client...no call back.

2015 K1600GTL
post #55 of 60 Old 06-27-2018, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE:

Service manager just called me, it's 7pm. The dealership is going to take care of the cost of this service. He said he's not heard back from BMW as to whether they're covering this under warranty or not and since he can't reach them for a final determination he's decided to just give me the bike back as a courtesy.

Honestly, it was an unexpected outcome so I have to give a big shout-out to the service manager, Shadow, at Las Vegas BMW.

This weekend I'll get the bike out on the highway and run as much fuel through it as I can.

SSTwin, RefCat and av8or like this.

2015 K1600GTL
post #56 of 60 Old 06-27-2018, 10:53 PM

Happy ending after all.
vistavette likes this.
post #57 of 60 Old 06-27-2018, 11:28 PM

Garage
Not too surprised by that result with a good dealer.
post #58 of 60 Old 06-28-2018, 05:10 AM

Garage
IMHO I can't see how this could be a warranty claim - nothing broke, the injectors were blocked. I think the dealer should have sorted it straight away especially as you have got them to service it, and not try and shift it onto BMW. In hindsight they should have flushed the system as they knew it had been standing around.
So looks like they have done the right thing. Pity they have delayed the inevitable.
vistavette likes this.
post #59 of 60 Old 06-28-2018, 05:39 PM
Zed

If the bike quit sensing the electronic token in the key, would it still crank? Wondering if the anti-theft system is kicking in? Have you tried using your 2nd key or the emergency key if you have one?
I have push started mine on once occasion if you feel up to trying that. If you bought from a dealer I would think they'll make it right regardless of warranty status since you just bought it. Good luck, hope it works out.
post #60 of 60 Old 06-28-2018, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
If the bike quit sensing the electronic token in the key, would it still crank? Wondering if the anti-theft system is kicking in? Have you tried using your 2nd key or the emergency key if you have one?
I have push started mine on once occasion if you feel up to trying that. If you bought from a dealer I would think they'll make it right regardless of warranty status since you just bought it. Good luck, hope it works out.
The issue was clogged fuel injectors. It's been solved

2015 K1600GTL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page