Shift assist failed - Page 5 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 48 Old 06-12-2019, 01:52 PM

Reading about the Shift Assist issues does scratch the head. I have not had any issues, or I think I do not LOL !!!. It shifts perfect up or down. Quick click and it feels smooth transition. I never down shift from 3 to second, clutch only. I do not like that jump. It will work smooth if you are very low on speed. I am new to Shift Assist. What should I notice if it is going bad or stoped working? I do not want to kill the tranny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 48 Old 06-12-2019, 01:57 PM

I use it more for acceleration.
When working, when on the throttle I just left up in the shift lever and it gears up, instant and without resistance.
Now when it isn't working, I pull up and it doesn't shift, not going to force it and scrag the gears. Clutch shifting is normal

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Current bikes

2018 K1600B
2012 Suzuki M109R
post #43 of 48 Old 06-12-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpetel1965 View Post
Reading about the Shift Assist issues does scratch the head. I have not had any issues, or I think I do not LOL !!!. It shifts perfect up or down. Quick click and it feels smooth transition. I never down shift from 3 to second, clutch only. I do not like that jump. It will work smooth if you are very low on speed. I am new to Shift Assist. What should I notice if it is going bad or stoped working? I do not want to kill the tranny.
Mine either works perfectly or not at all. I rarely use the clutch shifting up or down unless coming to a stop. Oddly, it has been working perfectly for about a week now after failing on almost every ride for a couple of weeks prior to that. I don't have a GS911 to look for fault codes.

When it doesn't work, it just refuses to shift up or down without the clutch. Shutting down the bike's electrical power has always restored normal function - until the next time it failed, which was usually within 10 or 15 minutes. Most of my riding is on back roads with lots of shifting.

'18 GTL ebony metallic
added: Altrider engine bars, Ilium rear bars, Clearwater Darla and Billie brake lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 48 Old 06-13-2019, 08:29 AM

Will keep an eye from now on for any changes for sure. The dealer always told me, anything unusual or does not make sense, to call service ASAP. I am an hour away from my dealer. We all have road side help, I will use it no problem, if needed. Every sales guy I talked to even none BMW dealer had said, a K owner must have warranty coverage as long as we own it. I see why now.
post #45 of 48 Old 06-13-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpetel1965 View Post
Will keep an eye from now on for any changes for sure. The dealer always told me, anything unusual or does not make sense, to call service ASAP. I am an hour away from my dealer. We all have road side help, I will use it no problem, if needed. Every sales guy I talked to even none BMW dealer had said, a K owner must have warranty coverage as long as we own it. I see why now.
I'm pretty sure I'll sign up for an extended warranty on this GTL as my three year warranty from BMW runs out. There are so many expensive systems on this bike that make it what it is.

So far (8 months and 3500 miles), I had a lean angle sensor fail and this intermittent shift assist failure. When the lean angle sensor failed, prior to diagnosis the dealership didn't want me to ride it in (an hour or so away from home) so the roadside assistance paid for a flatbed tow truck to take the bike and a rider service for me to come get it after they fixed it - all at no charge.

'18 GTL ebony metallic
added: Altrider engine bars, Ilium rear bars, Clearwater Darla and Billie brake lights
post #46 of 48 Old 06-13-2019, 08:36 PM

I’ve only got 3K on my GA, and I’ve had an instance or three where the shifter was firm (wouldn’t move) when using shift assist. After checking the manual, I realized the throttle must be completely off to downshift and on/accelerating somewhat (or hard) to upshift! No problems since. I’d never force it since there is obviously a clutch. I’m thinking it’s delicate and the electronic setting from the fly by wire throttle must be critical. By paying close attention, I’m back to flawless up and down clutch-less shifting. BTW, manual says one cannot over-rev down shifting... I still keep it reasonable though. Don’t you love that little blip when the ECU matches revs...? 😍
post #47 of 48 Old 06-14-2019, 08:24 AM

That was the first thing the service tech told me before I took the bike home. Never rev when down shifting and ALWAYS keep same rev at any RPM you choose when up shift. I am totally sold on the shift assist. I do not think I can do it any other way anymore. It is soooo smooth for me and works perfect, for now !!!
post #48 of 48 Old 06-14-2019, 02:28 PM

Accelerating is fun; it’s like a paddle shifting setup. I entered the interstate in 2nd and a guy on a Harley was about 50 yards behind me. He got serenaded to the fastest shifting he ever heard on a bike as I did 105 in seconds. I slowed to 75 and he went by me and gave me a thumbs up. God, I love this country!
J-Luv likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page