Idle Change W/Cold Weather Gear Attached - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 12-13-2018, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Idle Change W/Cold Weather Gear Attached

Yesterday I completed a SS1000. I pretty much needed to have my heated gear attached so I could use it as needed while I rode for the entire ride. I have a 2018 GTL with 22,000mi. My cold weather gear (jacket liner and gloves) is Warm and Safe and wired direct to the battery. In a nutshell what I found was that when I connected the gear to the lead to the battery I would notice a change in the engine idle. The engine was idling just fine. Once I connected the gear (gear off) the engine idle changed. Basically the RMP's dropped a little. The tachometer needle had a quick blip to reflect it and then the idle returned to normal. The idle sequence then continually repeated. This was rhythmic, up and down, up and down regularly with about 1/2 to 3/4 of a second beat.

I know that the gear will have a draw on the battery and I was watching the battery volts as I rode and used the gear. I did not see a draw on the battery gauge when I connected the gear and did not have it on. At high settings for both gloves and liner it never dropped more than .2 volts. My bike was running normal at 14 volts on the battery gauge and it would drop to 13.8-13.9 when I had the gear on full.

Is what I am experiencing with the heated gear normal? Any adverse issue with the battery and bike electronics?

Thanks for any input!

Martin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-13-2018, 11:31 AM

That is normal for the K1600.

Duane
Vandaldog and ViennaK like this.

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
post #3 of 18 Old 12-13-2018, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Awesome, thank you Gunnert!

M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 12-13-2018, 12:01 PM

Garage
It is an idle rpm stabilization kicking in. The additional electrical load increases the torque requirement of the generator which leads to an idle rpm correction that can create an effect you describe. Practically all modern vehicles have that stabilisation.
Gunnert likes this.

2018 BMW K1600 GT
2018 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)

2014 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)
2005-2014 5 HD ElectraGlides (sold)
2003 HD Softail (sold)
1973-1982 various jalopies (gone)

'You know that the world is going to h€ll if they have to print instructions on a bag of toothpicks'
After Douglas Adams RIP
post #5 of 18 Old 12-13-2018, 12:04 PM

Garage
Same experience here. No issues.

2014 BMW GSA / 2012 GTL / 2009 HD CVO Road Glide

Operations Manager, Motorcycle Relief Project
post #6 of 18 Old 12-13-2018, 12:43 PM

Garage
If it was truly "off", there shouldn't be any load seen by the bike's electrical system. The little radio wouldn't draw enough to notice..no more than any other tiny accessory (e.g., a Sena SM10).

If you're getting the pulsing (I do), then I suggest that it isn't actually off.

Note that when you first plug in the heated gear, it goes to 1/3 power, not off. It goes to 1/3 power so that you can have some heat if your controller battery dies.

I may be mistaken, but I believe that the heat-troller, if wireless, only transmits when the knob is turned. If not that, it only transmits periodically. It doesn't transmit all the time so it can avoid draining its batteries in a few days. Until you turn the knob (or it gets to the first periodic update), the heated gear will be on at 1/3 power and would explain the idle pulsing when you first plug it in.

Also, I had thought (just a guess) that the pulsing was not caused by idle stabilization alone but by the heated gear drawing current in an on/off pulse-width modulation at 1-2 Hz. While that frequency would be way too low for lights and other accessories, 1-2 Hz is plenty fast enough for heated gear.
post #7 of 18 Old 12-13-2018, 03:05 PM

Garage
A lot of heating elements these days work on a "pulse" system so they are not either off for a long period or on for a long period, they constantly pulse on and off for a smoother temperature graph over time. It's quite possible this could be causing your bikes systems to wonder "what is going on" and perhaps try to compensate for the extra load which keeps "pulsing". Just a thought, I'm not sure if the bike would respond this way?

James

Loud pipes don't save lives - good riding does!
post #8 of 18 Old 12-13-2018, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. It is a "load" off my mind.

Martin
vistavette and Jonnybow like this.
post #9 of 18 Old 03-19-2019, 09:55 AM

Garage
You guys are the best.. I've been wondering all winter why I was seeing the +/- 50 RPM fluttering at idle. Never occurred to me that it would have been the heated gear.
Gunnert likes this.
post #10 of 18 Old 03-19-2019, 01:14 PM

Garage
My big driving lights have the same effect when i use the high beams, I can hear a distinct change in RMP at idle. Normal ops

A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood. George S. Patton
2014 K16GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page