Removal of B/GA Floorboards - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 04-01-2019, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to robd1
Removal of B/GA Floorboards

I have been told by a number of people, including salesmen, that the floorboards are the reason for the GA being unstable in the wind and the reason why it has speed limitation set at 100MPH. I find the twitch quite un-nerving having come off a very stable RT LC. I can't quite compute this as the Bagger has floorboards but is limited at a higher speed. This seems to take the floorboards out of the equation and tends to implicate the top box. Has anyone taken the floorboards off and noted any improvement? If this improves the stability in wind it is a cheap, easy fix. The top box is a whole different ball game.

Nothing "succeeds" like a hungry canary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-01-2019, 02:14 PM

The floorboards can affect airflow, but the top box will affect it more.

What tires are you running? Some brands are known to be more twitchy than others.

Also, I thought that doing over 100 mph in Australia is a Very Bad Thing, with massive penalties...
1dragon likes this.

Ken IBA# 366
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD
Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from . . .
post #3 of 22 Old 04-01-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese View Post
Also, I thought that doing over 100 mph in Australia is a Very Bad Thing, with massive penalties...
Not to mention the Roo's that seem to come out of nowhere at the most inopportune times.

Joe

“Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 04-01-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robd1 View Post
I have been told by a number of people, including salesmen, that the floorboards are the reason for the GA being unstable in the wind and the reason why it has speed limitation set at 100MPH. I find the twitch quite un-nerving having come off a very stable RT LC. I can't quite compute this as the Bagger has floorboards but is limited at a higher speed. This seems to take the floorboards out of the equation and tends to implicate the top box. Has anyone taken the floorboards off and noted any improvement? If this improves the stability in wind it is a cheap, easy fix. The top box is a whole different ball game.
Some members have reported that changing the windshield cuts down on the movement in dirty air. I still have the standard shield so can't comment on that.
jukhako likes this.

2018 Grand America
2013 GTL sold
2009 GL 1800- 80k miles
PM me about my pullback risers.

Grand America & 1600 "B" Risers
https://stlouis.craigslist.org/mpo/d...864216884.html

GTL RISER PICS
https://stlouis.craigslist.org/mpo/d...864216172.html

See RAM MOUNT Pics
https://stlouis.craigslist.org/mpo/d...864218598.html
post #5 of 22 Old 04-01-2019, 04:13 PM

I have a Grand America and have removed my top case many times. The top case affects the bike more than the floorboards do. I have ridden a couple thousand miles both ways and the bike is on rails with the box off. I have on a couple occasions, behind big rigs, experienced a slight back and forth wobble with the top case on. But I think all bikes will experience some wobble behind big rigs.

As others mentioned, there is a windshield that many are using that can eliminate the wobble with the box on. A Wunderlich vented shield, I believe.
firstime911 and jukhako like this.

Jesse Kriner - Hope Mills, NC
2018 Grand America - Black Storm Metallic
14 GTL, 05 LT, 85 K100RS
post #6 of 22 Old 04-01-2019, 06:54 PM

My B has no floorboards and it has a taller aftermarket windscreen - Firming up the suspension greatly improved the "twitchy" feel that I felt in the handlebars when in "truck wash".

I would not call what I felt "instability".

My '14 RT was better in "truck wash" than my B.

Current bike: '18 K1600B
Most recent former bikes:
'14 R1200RT
'13 F800GT

Last edited by WillH; 04-01-2019 at 06:56 PM.
post #7 of 22 Old 04-04-2019, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to robd1
Thanks for your input. Both are very interesting and perhaps the topbox removal and the windscreen could be the way to go. Somebody also suggested the Bridgestone tyres could contribute but they are common to the B and the RT?

Nothing "succeeds" like a hungry canary.
post #8 of 22 Old 04-08-2019, 10:58 AM

Garage
I have an 18 GA and a 18 GTL. I've removed the boards on the GA and it made zero difference. I've tested every configuration known to mankind to decrease the "wobble" in dirty air. I've found with a passenger it all but goes away completely. I don't know if I'm just getting used to it or something has changed on the bike, but it seems to be getting better the more miles it has on it (tires?). I assumed the instability was partially due to a shortened rake but I'm no engineer. Would love to hear if anyone changed tires and it helped? I'm surprised changing the windshield made a difference but also happy to hear it.
firstime911 likes this.

Scott Wanasek
post #9 of 22 Old 04-24-2019, 09:42 PM

Garage
Are those floorboards compatible with a 2012 GT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 22 Old 04-24-2019, 10:18 PM

I think they are, if you also use the newer factory engine guards.

Those engine guards show the same part number for 2017-on GTL and Bagger.

So unless the engine mount points changed, the parts should bolt up.

Note that you may have interference with the bodywork around the two lower cubby holes.

I believe on the Bagger and Grand America you get to choose floorboards or storage, but not both.
Maurockstar likes this.

Ken IBA# 366
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD
Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from . . .

Last edited by Meese; 04-25-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page