Battery drain - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 07-02-2019, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Battery drain

For the second time my bike did not start after sitting for a couple of days. Under warranty BMW replaced the battery on the first incident with the comment that my USB converter hooked up to the dash power outlet could be the culprit. I call BS on that as the ECM switches the outlet off after about 60 min and the power drain of a unloaded USB converter can only be be in the 0,05 mA range which will not drain a battery anytime soon. Anyway, second time around the bike was parked for four days after a 3500 km trip and would not start. Battery showed 9.5 V, aux battery hooked up to the terminals and she fired right up.
Does anybody know what the mA drain of the bike is with alarm off and the ECM in deep sleep? I would guess some 3-5 mA. Want to measure it against a known reference point.

TIA

2018 BMW K1600 GT
2018 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)

2014 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)
2005-2014 5 HD ElectraGlides (sold)
2003 HD Softail (sold)
1973-1982 various jalopies (gone)

'You know that the world is going to hll if they have to print instructions on a bag of toothpicks'
After Douglas Adams RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-02-2019, 03:55 PM

Garage
There have been cases where the the outlets stayed live and discharged the battery requiring a dealer reprogramming to rectify it.

Dave

"14 K1600 GT
post #3 of 20 Old 07-02-2019, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by d martin View Post
There have been cases where the the outlets stayed live and discharged the battery requiring a dealer reprogramming to rectify it.
Understood, but mine turns off which can easily be verified. If the bike sits for about one hour and I connect the phone to the outlet it wouldn't charge.

2018 BMW K1600 GT

2003 HD Softail (sold)

'You know that the world is going to hll if they have to print instructions on a bag of toothpicks'
After Douglas Adams RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 07-02-2019, 07:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaK View Post
Understood, but mine turns off which can easily be verified. If the bike sits for about one hour and I connect the phone to the outlet it wouldn't charge.
If you leave a USB adapter connected to it, that can be enough to keep the port from shutting off. To be sure, you have to disconnect anything plugged in to ensure the port gets turned off.
post #5 of 20 Old 07-03-2019, 12:06 AM

I agree that the USB shouldn't drain that much. I have left things charging for days - phones, headphones, etc and not had an issue. But mine are connected through a fuse block to the battery so not the same set up.

This doesn't answer your question, and I can't explain why, but it might be helpful. I had a SEA connection on the battery for charging for years, and before this bike, it was on my other one. Then about a year ago, my battery starting discharging when parked for less than a day. Took off the SAE connection, and using the same battery, no problems since.

PS. When did the K1600 get a dash power outlet?
post #6 of 20 Old 07-03-2019, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhendy View Post
I agree that the USB shouldn't drain that much. I have left things charging for days - phones, headphones, etc and not had an issue. But mine are connected through a fuse block to the battery so not the same set up.

This doesn't answer your question, and I can't explain why, but it might be helpful. I had a SEA connection on the battery for charging for years, and before this bike, it was on my other one. Then about a year ago, my battery starting discharging when parked for less than a day. Took off the SAE connection, and using the same battery, no problems since.

PS. When did the K1600 get a dash power outlet?

Always had it on right front side panel right under the handle bar.
I am looking for parasitic loss that drains the battery. Will measure it maybe tonight and report back. On my stone age 1992 BMW convertible I measured a drain of 50-70 mA which is enough to drain a battery in 4 weeks. Found out that a corroded circuit board in the dash that controls the service interval display was damaged by a leaking on board battery. Replaced the board and the drain went down to a normal 5 mA.

As to the BMW K1600 I still don't understand how a 12 to 5 Volt USB converter with nothing connected to it can drain the battery.
Gunnert likes this.

2018 BMW K1600 GT

2003 HD Softail (sold)

After Douglas Adams RIP
post #7 of 20 Old 07-03-2019, 10:51 AM

I don’t have an answer to your specific question, and you probably already know this, but make sure the battery and terminals are clean and tight, it can make a big difference in it staying/getting fully charged.

Dave no function beer well without
post #8 of 20 Old 07-03-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaK View Post
Always had it on right front side panel right under the handle bar.
I am looking for parasitic loss that drains the battery. Will measure it maybe tonight and report back. On my stone age 1992 BMW convertible I measured a drain of 50-70 mA which is enough to drain a battery in 4 weeks. Found out that a corroded circuit board in the dash that controls the service interval display was damaged by a leaking on board battery. Replaced the board and the drain went down to a normal 5 mA.

As to the BMW K1600 I still don't understand how a 12 to 5 Volt USB converter with nothing connected to it can drain the battery.
12v to 5v usb will draw current even if nothing is hooked up to it.

2018 Grand America
2013 GTL sold
2009 GL 1800- 80k miles
PM me about my pullback risers.

Grand America & 1600 "B" Risers
https://stlouis.craigslist.org/mpo/d...933376195.html
GTL RISER PICS
https://stlouis.craigslist.org/mpo/d...933375017.html
See RAM MOUNT Pics
https://stlouis.craigslist.org/mpo/d...933377433.html
post #9 of 20 Old 07-03-2019, 12:25 PM

I use an SMH10R, that uses an external battery, for my Bluetooth setup. I have a 12v to 5v USB adaptor connected through an unswitched circuit to charge my "extra" battery for my SMH10R. I can leave that battery plugged in for weeks, even after it's charged, without having any problems starting my bike. The battery charging circuit even has a small micro USB to Sena's 2 pin adaptor with a small LED that glows red when charging and blue when the battery is charged. I know it's better on the battery to disconnect it from the charging circuit when it's fully charged but I often times forget.
As you mentioned in one of the above posts, connecting a meter to measure current, in series with the negative battery cable, should help in finding out how much drain there is on the battery. Another way is if you have a decent digital meter that reads down in the mV range you can check the bike's original or add on fuses for a possible drain on the circuits those fuses are protecting. The fuses have small contact points on the top of them. If you select the mV range on your meter and go across the contact points of each fuse you should get 0mV but if you read anything above 0mV then you know which circuits are pulling (milli)amps when the bike is off. If you do get a reading above 0mV it would be very difficult to determine how much current drain they're causing (extremely low resistance in a fuse when trying to use the E=IR formula) but if you actually find one of the circuits giving you more than 0mV's then you'll know which circuit to take a closer look at.
charlie3133 likes this.

'12 KGT Verthrillin' Red
post #10 of 20 Old 07-03-2019, 01:26 PM

Garage
If you decide to do what @KCMO Steve described above, do it with a analog meter, not a digital meter. The analog meter actually draws current when reading voltage where a digital meter does not. This could be the difference between reading a small parasitic draw and not seeing it.
Unless you have some after market accessory installed or have a power distribution module that has gone bad, the power outlet is the only known culprit to look at.

A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood. George S. Patton
2014 K16GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page