Oil change when at operating temp or ambient temp? - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 07-15-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Question Oil change when at operating temp or ambient temp?

Just looking for opinions here.
I don't mind getting oil on my hands but I'm tired of burning them.
So you see where I'm going with this.

Joe

“Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 07-15-2019, 02:18 PM

Garage
Neither. I let it cool some from operating temp. Not burning, but still warm.

John
2018 K1600 GT - Option 719 Blue Planet w/forged wheels

2014 K1600 GTL - Magnesium Beige (past)
post #3 of 41 Old 07-15-2019, 02:29 PM

+1 @RecCard

Duane
BMWGuy likes this.

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 Old 07-15-2019, 02:35 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to bagman
As stated. What I do is if returning home and bike is at operating temps, I let it sit 30-60 mins depending on the ambient temps before I pull the plug and filter.
BMWGuy likes this.

Steve
post #5 of 41 Old 07-15-2019, 03:27 PM

Garage
I guess that Castrol we ordered on Amazon Prime Day today just can’t there fast enough.
BMWGuy likes this.

2018 K1600B: Forged Wheels; RDL Seat; 7Jurock Windscreen; Clearwater Betsys/Darlas; Ryan’s Handlebar Risers; Wunderlich Stuff; Ilium Saddlebag Guards; HEX ezCAN; Bren Tune

“Critical thinking...the last frontier.”

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure...than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." Teddy Roosevelt
post #6 of 41 Old 07-15-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGuy View Post
Just looking for opinions here.
I don't mind getting oil on my hands but I'm tired of burning them.
So you see where I'm going with this.

Joe
I'll run the engine for just a couple of minutes before changing the oil and I guess the only reason I do that is to get the contaminants, if any, off the bottom of the oil pan and into the oil. Even if it flows better when good and hot, it's too hard to handle and splashes around too easily.
BMWGuy and racer1735 like this.
post #7 of 41 Old 07-16-2019, 10:24 AM

First off, I assume you are wearing gloves. Harborfreight now has 5, 7 and 9 mil gloves. I still have some 5mil ones left, but I'll probably try some 7 or 9 next, which should do an even better job insulating from the hot oil. The 5mil actually does a pretty good job already, but it rips too easily, especially when my hands are drenched in sweat this time of the year.

I prefer to let out the churned up engine oil ASAP, so any entrained contaminants have a better chance of getting flushed out with the used oil. I pretty much open the bottom (outside) drain plug right after warning up the engine. At that point, I'm more leery of the hot exhaust flanking the oil sump. I usually wear thick leather gloves to crack the drain plug loose first, then switch to the nitrile gloves to spin it out, which I can do without much oil getting on my fingers.

At that point, I just let the bottom sump drain out and switch my attention to the oil filter. I probably could do that in 2min if I rush, but I just take my time. Maybe go inside the house to cool off a bit from the hot Houston Summer heat.

By the time I am done snugging up the replacement filter, putting my oil filter wrench away, packaging up the old oil filter in a plastic bag, so on and so forth, the oil - and more importantly, the exhaust pipes - have cooled off substantially. That's when I remove the inner drain plug. The oil is still hot, but not dangerously so. The exhaust pipes are also not hot enough to burn me, if I accidentally bump my hand against it.
BMWGuy likes this.

2014 K1600GT Sport

Last edited by Volfy; 07-16-2019 at 10:26 AM.
post #8 of 41 Old 07-16-2019, 11:53 AM

Garage
ride it, park it, get the bits all ready, drain it
RedCard, Ranger1, BMWGuy and 1 others like this.

R80/7RT / K75RT / R1200RT / K1600 GTL - in the U.K.
Also Rans ( Honda C90 & CD175 & CX500 & ST1100, Suzuki GT250 (J) & X7, Puch Maxi), Coveted Honda CBX, Yamaha Martini XS 1300 & FS1E, Kawasaki Z900, Z1000 & Z650, Quasar, Suzuki GT750
post #9 of 41 Old 07-16-2019, 03:46 PM

I have done my share of oil changes on multiple vehicles and aircraft thru the years. Hot right after a long run, overnight cold, as well as after several days sitting. I have pretty much gone to the ways of a hot post ride and waiting an hour to drop both plugs. Change out the filter and let sit for another hour draining. Then measure the exact amount of oil needed and replace. 80% first filling run the bike for 5 minutes and finish the remaining new oil.

Nothing doing but a test to know for sure about just how much contaminants will settle out of circulated oil. I captured my last oil change oil and put it into a couple of containers to check on later.
After 1 day I didn't really see much in the way of sediment. The second container after 1 week was a different story. Cold sludge - an almost molasses type sediment was evident. I really could not pore the sediment out at that point so I know it seemingly wouldn't flow from a cold crankcase either.

In closing, it is MHO that a warm oil change after the bike cools from a long ride suites me. For sure not a change after sitting for a week just before leaving for an extended trip!

Andy
BMWGuy likes this.
post #10 of 41 Old 07-16-2019, 03:55 PM

Garage
I've changed the oil in all my vehicles cold. In my feeble mind I figure whatever sediment is left in the oil pan will be stirred up in the new oil and filtered out by the new oil filter besides I'll be draining a little more oil because it's had all night to drain down out of the engine. All the crud in the old oil didn't hurt the engine the day before I changed it so a small percentage left after I change it can't hurt either. Your experience and mileage may vary.
Gunnert, Prince, BMWGuy and 2 others like this.

2016 Glacier Silver/matte blue vinyl wrap GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
2004 Red Corvette
2005 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page