What's the Secret to Riding in Stop and Go Traffic??? - Page 4 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 55 Old 08-24-2019, 03:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenV View Post
THAT is a problem. Likely a big air bubble in the system. .
Good to know...bike was 50 miles old to me with no owners manual or certainly this forum yet. Should have pressed the dealer more on it but it wasn't where I bought it and again, he didn't seem to think it was an issue. I still need to address it I would imagine....6K miles later. Unless it found a way out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 55 Old 08-24-2019, 04:39 PM

Garage
I think the cooling system is designed perfectly. The last thing you want is to drag around weight for a robust cooling system you will rarely or never need. I have yet to see the triangle. WFO in 95 degree heat for an extended run on the limiter saw 219 degrees, which is one click from the fan coming on. Stopped traffic in 110 degree heat it went to 232 but managed it with the fan. Maybe the red triangle is a warning to purge air from the system or clean the radiators.
post #33 of 55 Old 08-24-2019, 04:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I think the cooling system is designed perfectly. The last thing you want is to drag around weight for a robust cooling system you will rarely or never need. I have yet to see the triangle. WFO in 95 degree heat for an extended run on the limiter saw 219 degrees, which is one click from the fan coming on. Stopped traffic in 110 degree heat it went to 232 but managed it with the fan. Maybe the red triangle is a warning to purge air from the system or clean the radiators.

Neither one of your "extreme" conditions above approximate the conditions that actually create the flashing red triangle.
Harleymarlboroman likes this.

-Stephen! (The rider formerly known as smv)
--
There is NO need to tailgate me when I am doing 50 in a 35 zone... and those flashing lights on top of your car look ridiculous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 55 Old 08-24-2019, 05:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Maybe the red triangle is a warning to purge air from the system or clean the radiators.
It must be air, the fins were crystal clean.
post #35 of 55 Old 08-24-2019, 05:51 PM

Garage
I never said it was "extreme." So chugging up a hill with a large woman on the back or what?
post #36 of 55 Old 08-24-2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
I think the cooling system is designed perfectly. The last thing you want is to drag around weight for a robust cooling system you will rarely or never need.
Are you serious, or don't believe this is a problem, or just trolling us?

How can a cooling system that overheats in routine situations be perfect?
Harleymarlboroman and TPadden like this.
post #37 of 55 Old 08-25-2019, 04:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagman View Post
Here in California we can split lanes which keeps the air flow through the radiator going. Agree on leaving it continue to run to cool down after stopping. I would raise the idle to put a little more load on motor, but the fans need to be on otherwise the temps will go up because of heat sink or heat soak. Much easier to pull heat away from the motor through the radiator than using the convection method.
Raising the idle will only heat up the engine quicker, and do nothing to cool it.

Iron Butt Association Member#49820
MOA Member #106320
2013 K1600GT Dark Graphite
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite(sold)
post #38 of 55 Old 08-25-2019, 07:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Until you have been in the shoes of one of the folks who was climbing a mountain pass in traffic or even just climbing at low speeds at altitude its hard to say that its perfect. One experience with the bike overheating while the bikes all around you are not is enough to convince anyone that there is a problem.

The cooling system isn't perfect, there is enough anecdotal evidence to at least point to a potential problem. The current fan solution would intuitively seem to be the problem as it is a trade off between free air flow while you are moving and directed air flow when the fan is engaged. Meaning, the fan assembly is bulky and blocks a significant amount of radiator at speed, at no speed it doesn't flow enough air to avoid all issues. Putting in a bigger motor in the fan assembly (more RPM) and/or redesigning the fan blades for more flow could improve things without adding weight.
Kuzman and AZcruising like this.

2012 BMW K1600GTL
post #39 of 55 Old 08-25-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandaldog View Post
and take the shoulder, anyway..
Be extra careful over there... In Flatlorida, it seems that all of the road trash like nails, screws and other assorted pointed things ends up over here. We also have vehicles that will swerve over to keep you from passing... Doors open too....

As a side note: The Crown Vic that I drive one day a week will sometimes start to overheat in the summer and we will pull over, keep the engine running and raise the hood. They will start to cool down...
Vandaldog and Billy S like this.

2012 Grey K1600GTL
Tampa, Florida

Last edited by DanDiver; 08-29-2019 at 12:16 PM.
post #40 of 55 Old 08-25-2019, 01:47 PM

So has anyone been able to put a larger radiator in? . Is the radiator a 2 row or 3 row? If not that's not feasible add a remote radiator? We road our HDs to the top of Pikes peak with no problems. Coming down was another story. Rain, sno,hail stoped on side of road for 2 hours before park rangers rescued us . Took us down waited 3 hours they plowed road to our abandoned motorcycles. Fired them up and followed the sno plow down. Found last hotel room in town . Because Interstate was closed because of mudslides. Next day before we got back to campsite . Great trip !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page