What's the Secret to Riding in Stop and Go Traffic??? - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 Old 08-23-2019, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
What's the Secret to Riding in Stop and Go Traffic???

Actually I know the answer.... "Don't Ride in Stop and Go Traffic... the K1600 Doesn't Play Well with Others in That Environment"!!!

Just returned from my first adventure with my '19 GT Sport. With about a thousand miles on the bike, a friend (riding an '18 Goldwing Tour) and I spent six days enjoying much cooler temperatures in the area in and around Winter Park, CO.

You get to learn a lot about your new bike when you put 2,800 miles on your machine in six days...

No problems with the GT until I was about an hour away from our destination in Winter Park. We hit some heavy traffic headed for Denver on a Sunday afternoon approaching the Eisenhower Tunnel eastbound on I-70. As we crawled in first gear up the 6% grade for about three miles (twenty minutes), I noticed my coolant temperature began rising from its customary "5 bars" to 6 and 7 (when the cooling fan initiated). Instead of lowering the coolant temperature, I found myself watching my bars rise to 8, 9, and 10 in rapid succession and then saw the red warning light come on......... quickly got over to the right shoulder, turned the bike off, and let it cool for 45 minutes.

Meanwhile, I saw many other brands have no issues with the slow trek up the grade toward the tunnel...

Finally decided that if I could get to the crest of the hill (still a mile or more away), the motor would cool itself down on the descent. While I thought about lane-splitting, decided the best chance of avoiding being stranded on the side of the road was to see if I could get up the last 1.5 miles without putting a lot of load on the engine.

With the bike cooled down... coolant level was well above the minimum level in the overflow container, I decided to make a run for it up the right shoulder. Was able to get into second gear and avoid other stranded motorists and lots of other obstacles on the ascent. As luck would have it, got up the remainder of the grade without further incident.

I did, however, see "2 other bikes" having similar problems..... a new K1600B and an older abandoned K1600 GT..... WHAT GIVES WITH THE K BIKES' COOLING SYSTEM???

I was very conscious of this issue the rest of the trip. While I had no other overheating issues, I did notice that several times during the slow ride through Rocky Mountain National Park the coolant level did rise to 7 bars, but came back down to 5 bars after the cooling fan did its job. The key appears to be that the bike doesn't like to be ridden under much load at slow speeds.

Will definitely discuss with my dealer tech the next time I'm in for service. Appreciate any thoughts from "this learned community"...

Must insert that 80K miles on two FJRs and never a hint of an overheat in lots of slow speed situations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 08-23-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcruising View Post
I found myself watching my bars rise to 8, 9, and 10 in rapid succession and then saw the red warning light come on......... quickly got over to the right shoulder, turned the bike off, and let it cool for 45 minutes.
You did the right thing in pulling over but, once you've hit the dreaded flashing red triangle, you need to leave the bike running to let it cool down on its own. I'm sure others will chime in to either confirm this or correct me but this is what I've been told.

2018 K1600 GT Mars Red Metallic
► There exists a group of people who believe that 2 > 4.
► "I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol." ó Steven Wright
► No government, constitution or law gives you any rights... breathing does.
post #3 of 55 Old 08-23-2019, 01:08 PM

Garage
Lots of threads regarding this topic. I was on that same stretch almost a year ago. Sunday afternoon. Hot. Everyone trying to return to Denver after a weekend in the mountains. 6 lanes of traffic for 2 tunnel lanes. I had read some of the previous threads so I was concerned about overheating. Mine never went red, but got close. Search for some of the threads. The last best idea I've read was to try to keep RPM's low, by creeping/riding in a higher gear. That won't work well going up 70 because it is literally stop and go. Not much chance to hit 2nd gear. The other main ideas are a fender extender, and the rad guard plus removal of the factory debris block. I have the former, not the latter. And keeping the radiator cooling fins cleaned and deep cleaned every 18k service. Of course, having the correct amount of coolant to start should go without saying. Conclusion of many here it that the cooling system is marginal at best. Others have never hit the red triangle. And even some might suggest continuing to ride easy with triangle if you can get some clean air to pass through or pulling over and letting the motor continue to pump water through head and radiator and keep pulling heat out as Russ suggested. Best to ya.
AZcruising likes this.

James

Ď18 K16GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic with matching BMW top-box, Bomber Brown RDL, Denali D7s, Ilium f&r bars with highway pegs
IBA # 63673
Ď14 FJR-ES Candy Red (sold)
Ď83 CB1100F Blue White & Red (in a garage);
Ď83 CB1100F Red White & Black (in a shed);
Ď76 CR125 Elsinore Red (sold);
Ď73? CB125S Torquoise (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 Old 08-23-2019, 01:16 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to bagman
Here in California we can split lanes which keeps the air flow through the radiator going. Agree on leaving it continue to run to cool down after stopping. I would raise the idle to put a little more load on motor, but the fans need to be on otherwise the temps will go up because of heat sink or heat soak. Much easier to pull heat away from the motor through the radiator than using the convection method.

Steve
post #5 of 55 Old 08-23-2019, 02:43 PM

Garage
The B you saw was Ron Coleman's. I parked next to the White 1600 for a few minutes while my K1600 cooled. That was brutal riding through that traffic.
pockomoth and AZcruising like this.

Paul
1984 Honda V65 Magna
1985 BMW K100RT
2011 BMW K1600GTL - gone
2018 BMW K1600GTL
post #6 of 55 Old 08-23-2019, 02:44 PM

Garage
Russ, leaving the bikes running does not cool them down. I know. I was watching the temp.
J-Luv likes this.

Paul
1984 Honda V65 Magna
1985 BMW K100RT
2011 BMW K1600GTL - gone
2018 BMW K1600GTL
post #7 of 55 Old 08-23-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince View Post
Russ, leaving the bikes running does not cool them down. I know. I was watching the temp.
Thanks for that. Good to know from someone who has actual experience.

FWIW, Last summer, I got caught behind a line of traffic, on the highway -- I'd guess it was close to two miles long. Of course, there's no lane splitting in Missouri and it's illegal to drive on the shoulder, as well. I chose to (carefully) break the law and take the shoulder, anyway. I figured that if I got caught, I'd plead my legitimate case and if I got a ticket, so be it. Luckily, I DIDN'T get caught.
AZcruising likes this.

2018 K1600 GT Mars Red Metallic
► There exists a group of people who believe that 2 > 4.
► "I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol." ó Steven Wright
► No government, constitution or law gives you any rights... breathing does.
post #8 of 55 Old 08-23-2019, 04:10 PM

I've been caught in stop and go traffic on 90 degree days and never had a problem. The temp gauge usually gets to 8 bars and hangs out there. I do leave a lot of room between me and the vehicle in front of me as not to scavenge any heat from it. The other thing that might be helping me is I use a booster plug which makes the bike run a tad richer which also tends to make the motor run cooler.
Billy S likes this.
post #9 of 55 Old 08-23-2019, 04:14 PM

Garage
C l u t c h move seems to be keep the bike moving which does not happen in stop and go traffic hence the thread...

There is thy gold, worse poison to men's souls,
Doing more murders in this loathsome world,
Than these poor compounds that thou mayst not sell.
I sell thee poison; thou hast sold me none.
post #10 of 55 Old 08-23-2019, 04:56 PM

The K1600ís have INADEQUATE cooling systems. Some owners say they are marginal, but I fail to understand how a brand new $25K touring motorcycle canít be expected to handle normal conditions that one encounters when on a typical bike trip. Re-read the OPís post and try and say itís marginal? Címon guys, quit drinking the BMW Kool-aid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page