Bren Tune... Again. - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 83Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 71 Old 12-09-2019, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Bren Tune... Again.

I have a 2018 Bagger and just went for the Stage 1 Upgrade... Wow, what a difference! The bike screams particularly up above 3000 rpm... Sound is much better too... Honestly, before this, I was thinking about bagging the bagger and staying with my old 03 K1200RS which performed much better.

Now, I can hold a throttle position and the bagger will actually accelerate!! This is nice!

I've been reading about the Stage 2 and the Handheld.. What's the opinion on this? I've checked out their website and yes, sounds good, but would like to hear from you guys who have actually spent the bucks and realized the "benefits"...

Is this worth an additional $600 bucks?

Thanks,

Joel
Geoff_3 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 Old 12-09-2019, 02:35 PM

Garage
If you already have the tune you like, the only additional benefit you will get from having the hand-held is the capability to apply your tune "locally" if the dealer ever overwrites it without having to send your ECU to Bren. However, if it is overwritten it will likely be overwritten by code that is incompatible with your current tune and you will need to spend another $100 to have Bren create a new tune to match the current revision. (No different than the "old" way).

Essentially the hand-held is not much more than a matter of ease and time. It is much faster to email files back and forth than to remove the ECU, ship it, and be without the bike while you wait for it to come back.

For me it was worth not having the hassles of removing the ECU and shipping it off...
Geoff_3 likes this.

-Stephen! (The rider formerly known as Stephen! & smv)
--
There is NO need to tailgate me when I am doing 50 in a 35 zone... and those flashing lights on top of your car look ridiculous.
post #3 of 71 Old 12-09-2019, 03:31 PM

It was worth it to me, The stage 2 has a slight performance advantage over the stage 1 combined with the convenience of the handheld plus the fun of working on it let's me easily justify the cost. I'm still praying for stage 3
vtx1800n1, Geoff_3 and joe schmoe like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 71 Old 12-09-2019, 04:42 PM

Can you not get the stage 1 tune with the hand held tuner?? Or is stage 1 only done by sending in ECU?
post #5 of 71 Old 12-09-2019, 05:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1600B View Post
Can you not get the stage 1 tune with the hand held tuner?? Or is stage 1 only done by sending in ECU?
With the handheld you get both stage tunes for your bike. Easy to use with some basic computer knowledge.
1600B likes this.

2018 BMW K1600 GT
2018 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)

2014 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)
2005-2014 5 HD ElectraGlides (sold)
2003 HD Softail (sold)
1973-1982 various jalopies (gone)

'You know that the world is going to hll if they have to print instructions on a bag of toothpicks'
After Douglas Adams RIP
post #6 of 71 Old 12-09-2019, 05:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1600B View Post
When you buy the tuner, you get both Stage I and Stage II.
1600B and Geoff_3 like this.

2018 K1600 GTL, Option 719 "Sparkling Storm Metallic" Bren Tuned Stage II
2004 Honda VTX1800 Neo-Retro "Titanium" aka "Pearl Challenger Brown"
post #7 of 71 Old 12-09-2019, 07:41 PM

Stage 2 and beyond is amazing but you'll need gas types that are hard if not impossible to find in the US.
(92 minimum, 94 recommended or required if you really get aggressive)
Geoff_3 likes this.
post #8 of 71 Old 12-09-2019, 08:50 PM

Bren

Also keep in mind that I think if you have Stage 1 you can upgrade to Stage 2 for $295 during the Black Friday deals.
Geoff_3 likes this.
post #9 of 71 Old 12-09-2019, 09:54 PM

Kudos all the way to Bren Tuning for their perseverance to get my 2017 K16GT back onto their tune. I was part of the group purchase here some 3 months ago and within 3 weeks of installing Stage 2 I had the bike in for the 80,000km service and BMW updated the software, rendering the Bren Tune out of date for my bike.

Whatever BMW did (my spy told me it was a throttle setting change particularly to soften the speedshift following the 5/6 fork issue) it has taken some 10 weeks of effort for Bren to finally update my Stage 1 and Stage 2 tunes, which arrived via email last week.

I had the Stage 2 installed painlessly and off for my coffee run through the hills, and the bike is (again) what I expect from BMW. Mid range acceleration is quite stunning, touch of a scare passing a truck downhill and having to haul on the anchors approaching a hairpin; that sort of improvement!

No hesitation in recommending Bren Tuning, one of my riding mates has had his S1000RR also flashed via the handheld and is also mightily pleased. Shipping ECU's from Australia really isn't on, the handheld is the only way to go
d martin, Geoff_3 and Bluenoser like this.
post #10 of 71 Old 12-10-2019, 02:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli View Post
Kudos all the way to Bren Tuning for their perseverance to get my 2017 K16GT back onto their tune. I was part of the group purchase here some 3 months ago and within 3 weeks of installing Stage 2 I had the bike in for the 80,000km service and BMW updated the software, rendering the Bren Tune out of date for my bike.

Whatever BMW did (my spy told me it was a throttle setting change particularly to soften the speedshift following the 5/6 fork issue) it has taken some 10 weeks of effort for Bren to finally update my Stage 1 and Stage 2 tunes, which arrived via email last week.

I had the Stage 2 installed painlessly and off for my coffee run through the hills, and the bike is (again) what I expect from BMW. Mid range acceleration is quite stunning, touch of a scare passing a truck downhill and having to haul on the anchors approaching a hairpin; that sort of improvement!

No hesitation in recommending Bren Tuning, one of my riding mates has had his S1000RR also flashed via the handheld and is also mightily pleased. Shipping ECU's from Australia really isn't on, the handheld is the only way to go
I want to make sure I understand this correctly- there is a software update to the bike that corresponds to the transmission recall- meaning any bikes affected by the recall should NOT install a Bren (or any other) tune prior to having the transmission recall performed?
Geoff_3 likes this.

2018 K1600 GTL, Option 719 "Sparkling Storm Metallic" Bren Tuned Stage II
2004 Honda VTX1800 Neo-Retro "Titanium" aka "Pearl Challenger Brown"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page