Has anyone had problems with a head gasket with K1600 - Page 9 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 90Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 87 Old 01-10-2020, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I went out today with the guys and did 250 miles. Per usual the destination was a restaurant food was good, Had to put up with a little ball busting from the HD boys but I knew that was coming. Bike ran flawless and it's only 2 months till the new GT.

Jim, I'll let you know the outcome.............................
capav8r, Up 2 It and Geoff_3 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 87 Old 01-13-2020, 12:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by svfiat View Post
Ok folks this is the last chapter to this saga: Let's start with the piston.
Attachment 135378 After hours of searching for the casting symbol of a circle with the numbers 487 within it I came up with nothing. Not deterred by that I searched for the unique physical property of the piston. The obvious is the inside of the piston is not machined at all. But the real tell is the cross hatched design at the bottom, you can plainly see it in the pic. So I searched through litterally thousands of pictures of pistons to find that cross hatch design and you guessed it, I found it. Whoever it was that made the wise @ss comment in jest that the pistons were made in China, hit the nail on the head. These pistons are manufactured by the WoTech Corporation based in China. I also took the time, because I had so much else to do, to measure certain characteristics of it and found the wall thickness varies as much as .030" , not a good sign of quality.

I went to the BMW dealer and found that they still hadn't come to an agreed price of repair with RPMONE, but the bike had the new motor in it and was running as expected, no smoke and smooth as silk. I just looked at the repair shop manager and said, "I don't give a sh!t about what RPMONE is doing I got a blank check in my pocket, what's the finally cost of the R&R of the motor". He told me, I wrote the check and now I'm a happy camper because I can go on a long ride with the guys tomorrow. The new motor seems to be quieter with less top end noise and the transmission seems to shift a tad smoother. I couldn't have asked for more except for all the aggravation of the who's on first dialogue throughout the process of repairing the bike.

As for RPMONE, at some point in time they'll come to an agreement of the cost of the repair and that check will come directly to me. So basically it all evens out in the wash.

Ride safe people I got a few miles to make up..................................
Who wants to place a wager that the source of the Transmission recall is a Chinese part?

Iron Butt Association Member#49820
MOA Member #106320
2013 K1600GT Dark Graphite
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite(sold)
post #83 of 87 Old 01-14-2020, 10:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsquad View Post
Who wants to place a wager that the source of the Transmission recall is a Chinese part?
You lost it already. Parts in question came with little doubt from the US. Source hidden somewhere in the about 1000 post. Look for Torqtek
Geoff_3 likes this.

2018 BMW K1600 GT
2018 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)

2014 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)
2005-2014 5 HD ElectraGlides (sold)
2003 HD Softail (sold)
1973-1982 various jalopies (gone)

'You know that the world is going to hll if they have to print instructions on a bag of toothpicks'
After Douglas Adams RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 87 Old 01-14-2020, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaK View Post
You lost it already. Parts in question came with little doubt from the US. Source hidden somewhere in the about 1000 post. Look for Torqtek

Well if that really is the case they went out of business in June of 2019.
post #85 of 87 Old 01-14-2020, 12:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by svfiat View Post
Well if that really is the case they went out of business in June of 2019.
Went out of business or changed trading names to avoid corporate losses. Too many people dump their debt and carry on.

Reading this > https://www.postandcourier.com/busin...796ad5ede.html they are removing one site, out of a number and continue to trade? but not gearboxes
Geoff_3 likes this.

Last edited by Mole999; 01-14-2020 at 12:06 PM.
post #86 of 87 Old 01-14-2020, 12:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mole999 View Post
Went out of business or changed trading names to avoid corporate losses. Too many people dump their debt and carry on.
Insolvent and sold their assets. Its somewhere in this thread.
d martin and Geoff_3 like this.

2012 K1600 GTL
post #87 of 87 Old 01-14-2020, 12:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthling View Post
Insolvent and sold their assets. Its somewhere in this thread.
A North Charleston manufacturer of vehicle transmission assemblies is closing its Leeds Avenue site as part of a companywide restructuring, with 85 workers set to lose their jobs.
Gear Design & Manufacturing/AAM Charleston told state labor officials that it will cease production at the end of this month. Jobs will be eliminated in phases beginning Aug. 1, with the last wave of employees leaving the plant by May 2020, according to the company’s notice with the S.C. Department of Employment and Workforce.
“The plant closing will be permanent and will involve essentially the entire facility,” plant manager Kim Forshee said in the letter.
The Detroit-based company is consolidating its powertrain business into its driveline and metal forming units, affecting two dozen plants, including the North Charleston site.
Geoff_3 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page