Why the BMW K1600 is safer. Duolever Suspension - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 07-29-2014, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Why the BMW K1600 is safer. Duolever Suspension

BMW Motorrad International

1) Rigid - The robust front suspension components don't flex when we hit potholes, road imperfections or small animals.

2) Separation - From F1 race cars to Hondas, the double A-frame design is best at separating the functions of the tire; braking, steering and suspension movement.

3) Adjustment - By using a single shock, it is easy to offer adjustment. Think ESA II or the upcoming Semi-Dynamic adjustment.

4) Anti-Dive - By design BMW selects the exact amount of dive we feel when braking. Enough to provide a comforting feel for dive, but not such that it affects safety or compromises chassis function.

Just like with anti-lock braking, there may well be some expert racers who can outperform sophisticated design, everyone else benefits from this duolever design. When the poo is hitting the paddles, I'm glad I am on a BMW.

notinla and steve59 like this.

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-29-2014, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

BMW Duolever front wheel control for excellent ride precision, cornering predictability and comfort.

In the BMW Motorrad K series, the Duolever stands for maximum ride precision and cornering predictability. It combines the greatest possible ride comfort with a sensitive response. The spring travel is 115 millimetres (60 mm compression, 55 mm rebound).

The kinematics of the Duoloever provides automatic anti-dive control in the K 1600 models, so the longitudinal forces acting on the front wheel during braking cause virtually no compression. Only the dynamic wheel load distribution generates a slight dip which gives the rider feedback on braking power as is familiar from conventional telescopic forks. In this way the Duolever combines the desired amount of front wheel feedback with the comfort and safety benefits of anti-dive control.

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
post #3 of 22 Old 07-29-2014, 12:24 PM

If memory serves me this is the brilliant work of Norman Hossack.

'08 Suzuki DR650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 07-29-2014, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Yes, you are right.

From the linked BMW site: "The BMW Motorrad engineers took as their basis a design patented by Norman Hossak of Great Britain. He had already fitted a number of BMW models with a double trailing link front wheel suspension as early as the eighties."

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
post #5 of 22 Old 07-29-2014, 12:56 PM

Was it the K1200S that started things rolling for this suspension? I think it'd be difficult trying to go back to the "other".

Reid
2012 K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 71-75 (Semper Fi)
post #6 of 22 Old 07-29-2014, 01:52 PM

talking to an x motor officer he said a lot of the guys didn't like the duo lever front on the 1200 because "they washed out in the corners".

I didn't want to argue with him. but his home bike was a gold wing that he sold to but a tractor for his farm?!
then for their(wife and his) anniversary he bought the newest goldwing. he said he test road a K1600 but I kinda had my doubts as if he had. he'd most probably be on one.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #7 of 22 Old 07-29-2014, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Many reviewers say that the duolever reduces the "feel" of the road, which they are accustomed to with conventional forks. Whether there is less feel, or not, isn't as much the issue as the difference in how the road feel is conducted to the handlebars.

UK motorcycle magazine reviewers acknowledge that one becomes accustomed to the BMW front suspension feel, the same way one becomes accustomed to conventional forked suspension.

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
post #8 of 22 Old 07-29-2014, 03:18 PM

squeak..

Rick
2012 K1600GT (smashed)
2015 K1600GT (went over a cliff)
2018 R1200GS
post #9 of 22 Old 07-29-2014, 03:18 PM
ABQ

I'm not sure I could ever go back to a telescopic fork. This bike has utterly ruined them for me. My last ride on my FJR, before I sold it, but after I had owned the K1600 for awhile, was eye-opening. All I could think the entire ride was how crappy the front end felt after riding only the K1600 for a couple weeks. Just my experience, and YMMV.

Those who say they lose "feel" when switching to the Hossack suspension are the same folks, IMO, who fault certain vehicles for lacking "character."
zumper likes this.

2013 K1600GT - Dark Graphite (Build Date 03/13)

"The problem with quotes on the internet is that they are so often misattributed." -Abraham Lincoln
post #10 of 22 Old 07-29-2014, 03:56 PM
ryk

I pre-ordered my first GTL before the dealer had a demonstrator. When they got one in a few months later, I rode my old Harley there for my first test ride. Twenty minutes with this front suspension and I knew I had made a good decision. I don't know about "feel" but it is just outstanding under braking, in curves, braking IN curves. It's just solid. I remember my Harley feeling downright flimsy in the front afterwards.

2014 K1600 GTL Exclusive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page