Cold start problems. Any suggestions? - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 Old 09-26-2014, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Cold start problems. Any suggestions?

Just this week bike started having starting issues with the temperature still in the 60s. First crank of the day takes 3 to 4 attempts. Tried the slightly open throttle which is recommended in the manual for low ambient start and experienced the same results. After first days crank the rest of the day it cranks and runs fine. Guy at dealership said probably dirty injectors and bmw may not warranty locating problem. Seems to me if it was dirty injectors it would affect all around performance all the time not just cold starts. Any suggestions and recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Ron

1600gt silver for me 1600gt red for the wife
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 09-26-2014, 08:20 AM

A little more throttle or you might be checking out your battery. Best I can do. Batteries problems tend to show up with cool weather.

Roame
post #3 of 40 Old 09-26-2014, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Battery - Ground Connection

The two usual suspects with any vehicle.

Lithium 36

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 09-26-2014, 08:58 AM

The 2011-12 models had a cold start problem early on if any of you recall and BMW came up with a download to remedy it and a few other things. Kind of thought that they had fixed that so the battery may be the correct answer?

Rich
post #5 of 40 Old 09-26-2014, 09:11 AM

Garage
My 2013 GTL has idle issues when I first start it. It also skips a beat or two if I take off right after starting it cold (55+ degrees F). I am not sure if this is a cold start issue (didn't have it this spring, or last year), or something that developed after my 18k mile service.

Jess & Christine(the Chauffeurs)with Tobi & Skye the Border Collies.
R.I.P.: 2013 K1600-GTL, Damask Red
2016 KTM SuperDuke GT (Dealer Demo)
(Guy's ride),
2016 S1000XR, Racing Red (Grrrl's ride)
Plus a home-built trailer, and a few farkels.
Motorcycle Safety Foundation Coach#166465
post #6 of 40 Old 09-26-2014, 10:33 AM

One of the suggestions above was to use a little more throttle. I assume that he meant use the throttle while starting. I'd recommend against that. The K16's remember if you use throttle to start and they adapt so that, over time, adding throttle is required. The bike should start properly without adding throttle.

I've experienced this starting problem. I can resolve it now, but can't say for sure what the problem is. It may be injectors, so I occasionally add RXP and I make a point to ride it hard to keep them flowing. It may be the subtle change in summer to winter blend gas and it just takes the bike time to adapt.

Bottom line, if I experience an occasion sessional rough start, I add injector cleaner and ride it hard and often. It clears up.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #7 of 40 Old 09-26-2014, 10:41 AM

This is kind of a stab in the dark and it may not be related but have you tried to do a TPS reset? I saw a post in a thread where someone said it helped him when his bike was hard to start (post 14). I don't know what his (exeunter) definition of hard to start is. The quote in that post says what to do but I believe there's a 2 second hold each time you open the throttle and you don't have to turn the key off when done.
This is normally related to resetting the throttle position after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery so this may be a long stretch but it would be easy to try and find out if it helps. One cycle of resetting the TPS would be sufficient, IMO.

'12 KGT Verthrillin' Red
post #8 of 40 Old 09-26-2014, 11:02 AM

Just for the heck of it' try adding a little Star-Tron fuel additive. I use it all the time and sure smooths things out. With the crappy fuel we have to deal with it sure helps. GT
Morgan likes this.
post #9 of 40 Old 09-26-2014, 06:47 PM

After a cold spell a couple of weeks ago, I had a cold start issue with BOTH my K1600 and S1000R. A few starts were needed to keep the bikes running and idle was rough for a second or two.

On an S1000R forum, this seems to be more of an issue with US bikes. Some surmise it's an EPA issue... Lean mapping at startup to comply with pollution requirements that gets more pronounced as weather gets colder. I don't pretend to know what that means, but it sounds good!

Have we switched over to winter blend yet? Both my bikes were filled the day prior, although the tanks were not empty... Maybe half.

2014 K1600 GTL-Exclusive ~ 2014 S1000R
2014 M5 Comp ~ 2011 Z4 35is ~ and a Mini for the heck of it!
post #10 of 40 Old 09-27-2014, 11:57 AM

I had cold start issues right when I got the bike; she just seemed "cold blooded" for a minute or two after stat up too. Didn't do anything, and it seemed to work itself out.

I attributed it to a night new engine (as my "guess", since it stopped after about a week)...

-Brian
RIP CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga.
MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017; Nashville, 2019
'13 GTL-P Dark Graphite Metallic (3/27/13 Build Date)
IBA #31242 MOA #136148
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page