• 2 Post By Gunnert
  • 2 Post By JMac
  • 2 Post By Csaba Guzs
  • 1 Post By frenchnew

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-28-2019, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Montreal and area ride

I'm starting to think about next year's trip now so we can tweak it a few times between now and then. We've ridden all the New England states and Mid Atlantic and Southern Atlantic, now I'm looking at Canada.
I have been to Quebec City and loved it, also love Montreal so starting there seems appropriate.

The ride straight up I-87 to Plattsburgh NY would be about 500 miles so that'll be day 1
Next day, get to Montreal and enjoy a day/night there.
Head to Ottawa for another day.
Spend at least one day in Toronto, I really want to see the HHOF.
We can then wiggle our way home through NY and Pa.

Bigger question.....worthwhile to start in QC for an extra day and see the city then proceed to Montreal or???

Help me out Eastern Canadians

A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood. George S. Patton
2014 K16GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-28-2019, 01:10 PM

Garage
If I can add color from an American's perspective; Quebec QC rocks. In contrast to Montreal, which is cosmopolitan and vibrant, Quebec is provincial and romantic. "Le Quebecois" are wonderful people. I always identify myself as a New Englander before an American there because of the special relationship shared between the two. If you want to truly impress someone with a very romantic time, go to Quebec.
Jonnybow likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-28-2019, 07:07 PM

If you want to add a couple of days you may want to think about doing the Gaspe Peninsula or even the Maritimes.
Jonnybow and ChuchVT like this.

Chris
Dieppe, New Brunswick
2012 GTL Platinum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-28-2019, 10:15 PM

Not much between Montreal/Ottawa/Toronto except heavy traffic. For a killer ride don't overlook north west of Quebec City; the Gaspe Peninsula.

Duane
Jonnybow and djfalkenstein like this.

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
post #5 of 10 Old 08-28-2019, 10:33 PM

I went to Quebec City this summer on a lark. Turns out we arrived during their summer festival.
Many of the downtown streets were barricaded. All the bars and restaurants set up tables and chairs in the street.
There were dozens and dozens of things going on.

A number of free concerts and some big name concerts. In the recent years
Keith Urban, Rolling stones and such have appeared.

Oh yea, and crowds. Lots of people to watch.

Great time, will go back next year with a little planning.

There are some great rides in Quebec. On the North or West side of the Saint Lawrence is the Saguenay area.
On the East side is the entire Gaspe Peninsular. Really nice ride along the shore. The Gaspe and Pence are must do's.

I hope to head back up there next week maybe the week after. I will post pictures if I make it.
Jonnybow and djfalkenstein like this.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-30-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnert View Post
Not much between Montreal/Ottawa/Toronto except heavy traffic. For a killer ride don't overlook north west of Quebec City; the Gaspe Peninsula.

Duane

I would respectfully disagree with this statement.
Traffic is heavy but Hwy 344 from Montreal to Ottawa is a nice ride. Also Hwy 7 from Ottawa to Oshawa has long picturesque stretches if you like country roads. Oshawa to Toronto is **** on wheels.
Jonnybow and Bluenoser like this.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-09-2019, 11:17 AM

Garage
Cool

I totally agree with Csaba. I've done both of those routes numerous times. The Hwy 7 can be a little frustrating if there's much traffic unless you have some real power under your wrist (like a K1600). The scenery on both routes is great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csaba Guzs View Post
I would respectfully disagree with this statement.
Traffic is heavy but Hwy 344 from Montreal to Ottawa is a nice ride. Also Hwy 7 from Ottawa to Oshawa has long picturesque stretches if you like country roads. Oshawa to Toronto is **** on wheels.

Displaced Bluenoser
2019 BMW K1600B GA (On order - What do you mean "Stop Sale?")
2004 BMW R1150RT
2003 BMW F650CS
post #8 of 10 Old 10-09-2019, 03:22 PM

Garage
If you are trying to make time there is no convenient route that intersects the axis of scenery, roads, and time. If you want less traffic, take your route slightly north of HWY 7 up around rice lake, up through Bobcaygeon, and across. If you really want to see Ontario, go further north, the riding picks up in quality as you go out of the GTA.

2012 BMW K1600GTL
post #9 of 10 Old 10-09-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I did change plans a bit, we'll start in Quebec City for 3 days then stop in Montreal for 2 and finally Toronto for 2 so I can see the hockey HOF. Trip starts July 10.
making time on these trips is counter productive, if it happens, it happens, if not I'm fine with taking the scenic route every day.

A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood. George S. Patton
2014 K16GT
post #10 of 10 Old 10-09-2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnybow View Post
I did change plans a bit, we'll start in Quebec City for 3 days then stop in Montreal for 2 and finally Toronto for 2 so I can see the hockey HOF. Trip starts July 10.
making time on these trips is counter productive, if it happens, it happens, if not I'm fine with taking the scenic route every day.
Keep this in mind for your trip next summer, the Hippolyte Lafontaine Tunnel in Montreal will be in a 4 years renovation and traffic is going to be a major PIA. This tunnel permits you to cross the Saint-Laurent river to Montreal on Highway 20 Ouest (West).

I would suggest the you take Highway 40 Ouest (West) to Montreal to avoid the construction in the tunnel.

Best regards,

Robert
Jonnybow likes this.

2016 Cosmic Blue K1600GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page