BMW K1600 Forum banner

Sad tale and a query

5K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  Rick H. 
#1 ·
Well, I don't want this to be a BMW bashing thread. I'll try my best to not sound negative. But the short story is, 4 months and 8,000 miles, my K1600GA was the best bike I ever rode. In fact, I just made it to the BMW Owners News...that's mine in the bluebonnets. Anyway, too many times in the shop. This time was too much. 1-1/2 wks in, not even a diagnosis, and no end in sight. I got the local Harley shop to trade for it...the Harley shop owns it now, even though it's still in the shop.

But my question is this...I am signed up for the gathering in Kerrville in October. Was really looking forward to it. Will I be treated like a leper if I show up there on my Road King? Honest question, would appreciate honest replies...thanks in advance...

#4 ·
Excellent! I really am looking forward to the gathering. I love riding the Kerrville area!!

I'd rather not vent about the problems. Not sure what it was. Don't have any idea. It'd die at idle or near-idle. Restart and the check engine light was on, and not really responding to the throttle. If I shut it down and restarted it'd be fine for the next few hundred miles, then again. No problems on the highway, always at idle or nearly idle. The first time it went in for this problem they said it was the "throttle valve" no problem. But the problem is that it didn't fix the problem. The next time it went in for that same problem they couldn't diagnose the problem, and they gave me a horror story about all the things that BMW said they needed done just to hopefully figure out what was wrong with it. And, well, you know we have to take the bike apart to get to all that and we have two other BMWs in line before yours, so we might be able to get to it next Tuesday...

Who knows...maybe the issue was with the shop. I don't know. But I've got way too much riding planned, and all of that riding is to be squeezed in between my more-than-full-time-job to have my emotional support bike in the shop for extended periods of time.

Oh, and yes, there was another issue with fuel gauge calibration, but they were able to sort that out okay (in a few day's time).

Anyway, again, I don't mean to be negative. I really loved the bike. Just maybe got a lemon. Hated to see it go. But now I have a technology phobia. Hence - Road King.

#6 ·
texasdw

If your happy that's what counts I have a feeling the BMW shop was part of the problem based on your last remarks.

Road King and Street Glide are both nice rides.
I agree with all the above. Very lousy dealer. Sounds like a couple of bad coils from here!
Best of luck!

Reactions: Aria
#8 ·
Beemer riders are much more accepting, as seen in this thread.

But there's always that one guy... ;)

#10 ·
Don't worry about going to the rally. It's Texas and we have open carry laws......:wink:

Seriously:. I would not hesitate to ride your H-D to the Kerrville rally. I would ride mine if I felt like. You only have yourself to please.

#11 · (Edited)
It's Texas and we have open carry laws......:wink:...
Now up to 4 "one guy" with a questionable welcoming :wink:

Seriously I also wouldn't hesitate to ride my BMW to a Harley rally if I felt like it. I just can't think of any situation where I'd feel like it, open carry or not. I've been riding BMW's to Honda rallies for over 10 years though :grin:.

Tom

#14 ·
I am what I am. You're one of the one's being overly condescending here ;). Not all "Beemer riders are more accepting" than Harley riders. :crying:

The OP asked an honest question looking for for honest opinions, if he really wanted to go, no matter what, he wouldn't have even asked, he'd just go.

I would't expect what is generally considered a Sport Touring group to treat a "cruiser" rider as a "leper" but I also wouldn't expect a warm embrace or shared riding style. In my opinion it isn't about the brand it's about the ride and common interests.

Tom

#19 ·
Your bike isn't a lemon it just has a problem your mechanic hasn't figured out yet. My first GT would die on me and it took them several times to figure out it was the throttle body censer intermittently failing. That was the only thing that ever went wrong with that GT in 4 years and 30k.
Ride whatever you want and if a BMW guy asks why your bringing your Harley tell them the truth. Your BMW is broken and in the shop so you rode your good ol reliable Harley.

#20 ·
But my question is this...I am signed up for the gathering in Kerrville in October. Was really looking forward to it. Will I be treated like a leper if I show up there on my Road King? Honest question, would appreciate honest replies...thanks in advance...
I would go. It looks like a nice event and worth a shot.

You are not defined by the bike you ride even though others may use it in their simplistic attempt to define you.

#21 ·
I do appreciate the input guys.

I'm going to show up there and see how it goes. After all, it's my birthday weekend, I love the Kerrville area...and if I feel out of place I can always bail out after I get there.

Thanks again!

#24 ·
I think you should have found a different dealer to take your GA to.

Go to the rally and if anyone asks just tell them your there to check out the BMW's because your in the market for one. They don't need to know your history. You might get some strange looks but I doubt anyone says anything to you.

That said... I've owned 5 Harley's and if my GTL chit the bed tomorrow there's no freakin way I would go back to another Harley. ****, I got one in the garage now that I haven't started in a couple years now. If I were gun shy over the K1600 platform I would jump on a new 1250 RT in a heartbeat.

#26 ·
If I wanted to go, I'd go. Don't know what the riding is like where the rally is being held or if you plan on group rides. If it's twisty roads and you're on a Road King I hope you plan on riding alone.

Duane

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.