Sturgis 2019 and beyond - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 Old 07-11-2019, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Jim View Post
Your bike will do fine. I don't see where you mention which model of the K1600 you own. If you have 4,000 miles on a GTL, which comes with Metzlers, those tires won't make it there and back I would definitely put a set of new ones on the bike before leaving. If they are some other brand then maybe you might be OK. A lot of other brand tires will go 8,000 miles. With the high torque of this engine combined with the weight they eat tires very quickly compared to your FJR.

Also oil changes are do every 6,000 miles. If you are currently riding a lot you will be close enough BEFORE you leave that you should have it changed early before leaving. That will save you having to do it while on the trip.

Finding a dealer for new tires out West is possible but you should mark down where they are. If you have the BMW Navigator GPS there is an icon that when clicked on will show all the BMW dealers in the U.S.
Hi Arizona Jim ,
yes the stock tires are dead , mostly the front one , I bought already a pair of Dunlop RS III , will install them beginning of next week ,

Do you suggest me to install them at the dealer ?

Or I can install them at my motorcycle workshop

Thereís a Harley workshop just at 12 seconds from my house and he does install the tires when I bring him the rims

i hope out there in the aftermarket thereís the electronic tool that you plug and read the codes and reset the service light , Iíll investigate about that , so I donít have to go to the dealer everytime I do an oil change or everytime the service light pops up

My priority is highway pegs , Iím maybe going to create ones with some existing pegs and holes with a black plug on them that I spotted under the engine and they have a thread , I think is where you install the engine guards

Accessories for the K are even more expensive than accessories in general !! Hahahahaha

Slowly like everybody Iíll customize the bike to my needs

The oil is very very clear , the person who sold it to me told me that he changed it like 300 miles ago , I think we should be good for the trip , then Iíll find some dealers during the trip

Super excited about everything so far , Iím not the ď snap pictures guyĒ
My trips are always very sober and not super documented

I had to document when I did few ironbutts

Jim you can see my bike in my garage , her name is krabator !! Hahaha

Catch you soon guys

Try Durian fruit , thank me later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 07-11-2019, 09:08 PM

Garage
If there is a shop close by that you've used in the past and seem reputable by all means use them. There is nothing special about mounting tires on our rims just make sure they know about the tire pressure monitor and not to break it. They are expensive to replace.

There is a device (GS911 for $400) that can be purchased to reset the service light. I use to just ignore it and keep a written log of the maintenance done, the mileage on the bike and date. Since then one of our forum members, who has the GS911, hooked it to my bike and set the service interval to 99,000 KM or something like that so now it won't come on for around 60,000 miles instead of 6,000 miles. I rely on my written spread sheet.

If your oil was just changed then you will be good to go. The Dunlop RSII tires are an excellent choice, you'll like them.

2016 Glacier Silver/matte blue vinyl wrap GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
2004 Red Corvette
2005 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler

Last edited by Arizona Jim; 07-11-2019 at 10:21 PM.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-11-2019, 10:08 PM

My aunt and uncle live in Custer and I usually take a bike when I visit. In 2008 my uncle passed away and his memorial service was being held during the rally so I figured that I might as well ride there. As stated, nobody cares what you ride.

If you want to ride during the rally then get up at sunrise and get your riding in in the morning when all of the drinkers are still hung over and in bed. The biggest danger is riding in the afternoon or evening when drinkers and weekend riders are on the road.
Gigi likes this.

Loud pipes save egos.

2014 K1600GT
Also own: 5 K75s, a K100, a K1 & 3 K1100s, WR250R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 Old 07-14-2019, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Jim View Post
If there is a shop close by that you've used in the past and seem reputable by all means use them. There is nothing special about mounting tires on our rims just make sure they know about the tire pressure monitor and not to break it. They are expensive to replace.

There is a device (GS911 for $400) that can be purchased to reset the service light. I use to just ignore it and keep a written log of the maintenance done, the mileage on the bike and date. Since then one of our forum members, who has the GS911, hooked it to my bike and set the service interval to 99,000 KM or something like that so now it won't come on for around 60,000 miles instead of 6,000 miles. I rely on my written spread sheet.

If your oil was just changed then you will be good to go. The Dunlop RSII tires are an excellent choice, you'll like them.
Hi Jim
Tires done early in the morning and went for a huge spin in upstate NY ,is pretty fast removal And installation , in the future Maybe get me a scanner as Iím thinking using K16 for many years , yesterday rode the bike a lot and I really like it is the ultimate long trip motorcycle for sure , at super low speed still not used to the friction point which is very far ahead the lever , but in general the bike handles very good , super quiet , and amazingly comfy

Try Durian fruit , thank me later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page