Would you ride CO in November? - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 Old 09-09-2019, 10:53 PM

Garage
Was out in Colorado a few weeks ago with Paul Prince. If Pikes Peak is on your agenda, you wonít be able to ride all the way up to the summit. About 16 miles in all traffic has to park at a shuttle area and take a shuttle up the final 3 mile leg to the summit, which is under reconstruction until 2021. Otherwise itís a good road. Bought tickets online and got to the gates at 7:30 when they opened, and so had little traffic in front of us. We thought about Mt. Evans, but scratched it after talking to a rider on the Pikes Peak shuttle who had gone up the day before on a Honda VFR 800. He said the first 10 miles or so were fine, but the remainder were painful...deteriorating pavement, frost heaves, cramped dirt pullovers overlooking sheer drop offs, and car traffic that slowed to a crawl or stopped near the summit. Paulís bike got the red triangle as we got to the shuttle point on Pikes Peak and mine was close to it, so we didnít want to take that chance again on Mt. Evans.

2018 K1600B: Forged Wheels; RDL Seat; 7Jurock Windscreen; Clearwater Betsys/Darlas; Ryanís Handlebar Risers; Wunderlich Stuff; Ilium Saddlebag Guards; HEX ezCAN; Bren Tune

ďCritical thinking...the last frontier.Ē

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure...than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." Teddy Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 09-10-2019, 12:37 AM
JDF

Garage
Two of us rode Trail Ridge Road on 1200 GS's around Oct 4, 2016. Probably won't do that again! Calm and nice when entering at the bottom and stormy conditions with black ice at the top near the visitors station. 18 degrees F and windy with blowing snow. Met a few Snow Plows and Park Service trucks but no other motorcycles. Below is one of the clips of that trip.

ryno23 likes this.
post #13 of 17 Old 09-10-2019, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Coleman View Post
Was out in Colorado a few weeks ago with Paul Prince. If Pikes Peak is on your agenda, you wonít be able to ride all the way up to the summit. About 16 miles in all traffic has to park at a shuttle area and take a shuttle up the final 3 mile leg to the summit, which is under reconstruction until 2021. Otherwise itís a good road. Bought tickets online and got to the gates at 7:30 when they opened, and so had little traffic in front of us. We thought about Mt. Evans, but scratched it after talking to a rider on the Pikes Peak shuttle who had gone up the day before on a Honda VFR 800. He said the first 10 miles or so were fine, but the remainder were painful...deteriorating pavement, frost heaves, cramped dirt pullovers overlooking sheer drop offs, and car traffic that slowed to a crawl or stopped near the summit. Paulís bike got the red triangle as we got to the shuttle point on Pikes Peak and mine was close to it, so we didnít want to take that chance again on Mt. Evans.
I haven't been up this year, but am surprised they wouldn't let you go all the way up with such an early start. In general, they had been letting the early starters go all the way up, according to what I have heard from others here in Colorado Springs. I did see a plea from the Colorado Springs mayor last month for more donations, as it turns out they are running tens of millions of dollars short in their reconstruction budget. I've seen a lot of activity on the cog rail line...that project is actually running a bit ahead of schedule. That said, I did not like the one trip I took up on the rail and much prefer the driving route.

Evans is always a backed up cluster after Summit Lake all summer long...

Awaiting: 2019 BMW K 1600 GTL

Former: 1981 Suzuki GS450, 1991 HD FXSTC, 1995 HD FLHTCU 30th Anniversary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 Old 09-11-2019, 07:13 PM

Here some historical data from someone you ACTUALLY live and ride close to peak-to-peak highway

November 2015 last ride to peak to peak: the 14th and 15th
November 2016: 8th, 14th, 25th
November-December 2017: 13th, 22nd, 26th and 10th of December group ride peak-to-peak!
November 2018: no dates with dry roads (high altitude)

So, bottom line: you can have a few good days in November!

October is much better BUT if you really want to come in November you can still ride beautiful roads at lower altitude.
My favorite from Longmont is : Longmont - Carter Lake - Green Ridge Reservoir - Masonville - Horsetooth Reservoir -Etc
Or Longmont - Lyons - Estes Park (and maybe a short ride inside RMNP) - Glen Heaven - Drake - Loveland

Good luck!

2018 Honda CTX1800 Tour DCT (current)
post #15 of 17 Old 09-12-2019, 12:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfalkenstein View Post
OK. Thanks. What I understand is that November is too late for that altitude (which I assumed). I am trying to get myself invited sooner.
Better hurry!

Mark
SCPO USN (ret)
2017 GSA
post #16 of 17 Old 09-13-2019, 07:57 AM

Garage
Yesterday morning they had snow on Vail Pass. Couple inches but its still snow.

Freedom is the miles I'm rollin' on!

2014 GTL
2016 S1000 XR
post #17 of 17 Old 09-14-2019, 08:59 AM

Garage
And even if you are lucky enough to have a week of clear roads and clear weather, you are likely to have very cold conditions. Years ago, in late October, I rode over Vail Pass and then Loveland Pass (before Eisenhower) to visit my ailing mother in Denver. I was poor and my truck would not have made it. I was told it was -17 at the top of Loveland. I had on a ski parka, snow machine gloves and pants, but it was so cold that when i stopped in Georgetown for gas, I could barely get my hands separated from the handlebars. The engine was so cold, I actually put my bare hands on the cylinders. I think, even with today's electrics, the riding just wouldn't be enjoyable.

Joe

2014 GTL Exclusive, 2018 Goldwing DCT, 2017 KTM 1290 SDGT, 2014 KTM 500 Exc, 2011 KTM 990 Dakar, 2004 Goldwing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page