Would you ride CO in November? - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 09-09-2019, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Would you ride CO in November?

Greetings my Brothers and Sisters in CO. I am scheduled to come out in November for the second week. I was thinking about packing my gear and renting a bike to ride the peak-to-peak highway. However, I know how the weather is here in the east coast at that time - hit or miss.

For those who know this area, would you plan a ride that high this late in the season? I am not worried about cold - I am prepared. Black ice stops me though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-09-2019, 09:48 AM

I don't live in CO, but I found even October can be very difficult with snow, slush and cold in Colorado. Not sure what the peak to peak highway is, but I'd never try a November bike run in the mountains..

Reid
2012 K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 71-75 (Semper Fi)

Last edited by reid; 09-09-2019 at 09:50 AM.
post #3 of 17 Old 09-09-2019, 10:16 AM

I'm riding through the mountain passes early October to get to the Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque NM. from Park City, Ut. I'm worried about early October let alone November.
I've done it early October and hit cold but no snow. Cold can be dealt with.
You never know but you are pushing your luck trying that ride in November.
Just my honest thoughts............
You could always go and watch the weather forecasts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 09-09-2019, 12:36 PM

This is a great resource for CO roads: https://cotrip.org/home.htm

My experience is that most of the passes (including RMNP) close mid-October, but you might get lucky with Peak to Peak.
djfalkenstein likes this.

2015 BMW K1600GT Sport
2018 BMW R1200GS Rallye
2016 Moto Guzzi Audace
post #5 of 17 Old 09-09-2019, 12:49 PM

Resided in Steamboat 8 winters beginning in '06. We'd annually expect our first sizable snow right at Halloween. That's in town. Town is at 6700'. Most passes are at 9000+ with frozen precip & thawing starting about Oct. 1st. The thawing turns to patches of icy sections overnight of course, with early morning rides being the most dangerous as it tends to flow across the highway and re-freeze. I would therefore guess early Nov. is an 80% "no go", but a last minute decision might (?) give you a window if you're extremely lucky.

2012 K1600GTL Silver 65kmi. & counting
'89 R100RT 65k mi. (sold)
'85 TREK 720 10k mi. (still riding)
'79 CB750K w/Windjammer 35k mi. (not forgotten)
post #6 of 17 Old 09-09-2019, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
OK. Thanks. What I understand is that November is too late for that altitude (which I assumed). I am trying to get myself invited sooner.
post #7 of 17 Old 09-09-2019, 01:26 PM

Now that I see what the peak to peak actually is, you've a little better chance of making that ride but with the cold and no fall color left, enjoyment factor might be very low. IMHO you're better off in a cage that gives you more options to explore!

2012 K1600GTL Silver 65kmi. & counting
'89 R100RT 65k mi. (sold)
'85 TREK 720 10k mi. (still riding)
'79 CB750K w/Windjammer 35k mi. (not forgotten)
post #8 of 17 Old 09-09-2019, 04:46 PM

YES, on a snowmobile...

Duane
Vandaldog likes this.

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
post #9 of 17 Old 09-09-2019, 05:30 PM

Black ice is always my main concern. As others have mentioned, things vary quite considerably during the winter months. While Independence Pass and Trail Ridge Road will close for the winter upon a given snowfall, Pikes Peak can open and close through the entire winter season. Sometimes Pikes Peak may be open halfway, some days it might be open to the top. All weather dependent. Along the front range, we can get hit with a foot of snow and you won't see any of if several days later if the weather pops back up. I typically hunt the Second Rifle Season, which is about the third week of October...and I typically will have both warm, dry days and a couple days of snow during that 9 day period.

Awaiting: 2019 BMW K 1600 GTL

Former: 1981 Suzuki GS450, 1991 HD FXSTC, 1995 HD FLHTCU 30th Anniversary
post #10 of 17 Old 09-09-2019, 05:30 PM

Garage
Coming from someone who lives in Colorado....

NO.

I will ride October in some mountain areas but only if there been no weather for the last week or so. If I have to be somewhere, I take the truck regardless of the weather.

After October I hang it up for riding the mountains and keep it to the lower elevations.

In late September of '17, my wife and I took a weekend and went down to Durango. (Took the 4Runner) It was a beautiful sunny day when we left home, 90 miles later it was raining in Ouray. It was snowing in Silverton and there was 5" of white stuff covering the road up on Molas pass... end of September. You just never know what your going to get.

Freedom is the miles I'm rollin' on!

2014 GTL
2016 S1000 XR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page