IMS Show- Minneapolis - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By STRich

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-23-2019, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

IMS Show- Minneapolis

The annual International Motorcycle Show hits MSP at the end of January, 2020. For those that have attended before, how good is the selection of boots? Iím looking for new Goretex boots and Iíve narrowed it down to 1 model each, from Daytona, Sidi, Dainese, & Alpinestars. What are the chances that Iíd be able to try on each boot, in my size? If thatís possible, Iíll wait until the show to buy. otherwise, Iíll do mail-order. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-23-2019, 11:49 AM

Garage
Do you have a Cycle Gear near you? They usually have a good supply of boots to try on.
https://www.cyclegear.com/stores

You need to check the IMS web site to see what companies will be there.
http://www.motorcycleshows.com/brands

As an FYI BMG clothing is scheduled to be there (?) I have owned a couple of their jackets and a pair of their over pants and really like them. They are quality goods and priced very well. They are sold pretty much factory direct, the owner is usually at these shows.

2016 Glacier Silver/matte blue vinyl wrap GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
2004 Red Corvette
2005 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler

Last edited by Arizona Jim; 09-23-2019 at 11:58 AM.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-23-2019, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Unfortunately, there are no Cycle Gear stores in my are? Thanks Jim, I’ll check their page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-23-2019, 12:46 PM

Garage
Greetings,
My $0.02 is as follows, the MPLS IMS show is horrible!!! If it was not for the fact that I see so many friends there, I would not attend. The Chicago show is a much better show as far as vendors goes.
You may be able to find a few area dealers such as Bob's Cycles in St. Paul, Leo's, Moto Primo and or Moon's that has a good selection of boots.
Good luck with the search,
Rich

Also, you could go up to the Dennis Kirk outlet/retail and if you call ahead, they will pull stuff for you and you can try from there. Or, take a road trip to Madison to Cycle Gear :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc250r View Post
The annual International Motorcycle Show hits MSP at the end of January, 2020. For those that have attended before, how good is the selection of boots? I’m looking for new Goretex boots and I’ve narrowed it down to 1 model each, from Daytona, Sidi, Dainese, & Alpinestars. What are the chances that I’d be able to try on each boot, in my size? If that’s possible, I’ll wait until the show to buy. otherwise, I’ll do mail-order. Thoughts?
BMWGuy likes this.

2016 GTLE

Last edited by STRich; 09-23-2019 at 02:48 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-23-2019, 01:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc250r View Post
Unfortunately, there are no Cycle Gear stores in my are? Thanks Jim, Iíll check their page
Wow, I thought they were everywhere. I've been in about 12 of their stores and like everywhere else, some a great and some, not so . . .

Best of luck on the boot hunt.

David A.
IBA: 37338
BMWMOA: 139753
2012 GTL Mineral Silver Metallic
post #6 of 9 Old 09-23-2019, 08:16 PM

Garage
Cycle gear is normally at the IMS show in Mpls. I always say to them "when are you going to open a store here?". They always say "soon". But they never do.

My recollection is that there are a lot of jackets and pants and helmets at the show. Not so sure about boots. I have been wearing steel toed work boots from Fleet Farm and most recently bought a pair of waterproof tactical boots from Sportsman's Guide. Boots seem much cheaper when they don't say "motorcycle" in front of them.

see you at the show!
w

Last edited by WayneDW; 09-23-2019 at 08:20 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-23-2019, 09:18 PM

Garage
I have been going to the one in Dallas, and if it is any indication of how the other ones are doing, it has slowly gone down hill over the past 5 years. The European branded bikes have all but abandoned the show, and not to mention the Japanese brands only brought a few of their selections. I don't think Suzuki even showed up themselves. As far as gear goes there is still a good amount to look at, but it seemed a bit hard to find someone who was knowledgeable enough to answer specific questions about the products they represented.

As far as Gortex boots, I just bought some BMW Allrounds over the weekend and so far very pleased with them. But they were what I was looking for as I wanted a bit of a lighter boot.

2014 BMW K1600 GTL
2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure (sold)
2001 Triumph Speed Triple 955i
2009 Yamaha FJR 1300 (sold)
2006 Triumph Sprint ST (RIP)
*A few others
MOA Member #200130
post #8 of 9 Old 09-23-2019, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRich View Post
Greetings,
My $0.02 is as follows, the MPLS IMS show is horrible!!! If it was not for the fact that I see so many friends there, I would not attend. The Chicago show is a much better show as far as vendors goes.
You may be able to find a few area dealers such as Bob's Cycles in St. Paul, Leo's, Moto Primo and or Moon's that has a good selection of boots.
Good luck with the search,
Rich

Also, you could go up to the Dennis Kirk outlet/retail and if you call ahead, they will pull stuff for you and you can try from there. Or, take a road trip to Madison to Cycle Gear :-)
Iíll call Dennis Kirk tomorrow. But their website doesnít list the models Iím interested in. Iíll still call...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneDW View Post
Cycle gear is normally at the IMS show in Mpls. I always say to them "when are you going to open a store here?". They always say "soon". But they never do.

My recollection is that there are a lot of jackets and pants and helmets at the show. Not so sure about boots. I have been wearing steel toed work boots from Fleet Farm and most recently bought a pair of waterproof tactical boots from Sportsman's Guide. Boots seem much cheaper when they don't say "motorcycle" in front of them.

see you at the show!
w
Agreed. Iíve been wearing tennis shoes or steel toeíd Red Wings too, but I want a Goretex boot and recently buddy crashed his K1600 and his foot came out the worst. Time for some boots that are CE rated with full protection.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-07-2019, 12:39 AM

Stylmartin makes some really nice boots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page