stuck on Dynamic Mode - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 05-04-2019, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

stuck on Dynamic Mode

Has anyone out there ran into this issue.I owned a 2018 GTL and I changed riding mode to dynamic but do not like the backfire noise on de-accelerate. Tried moving back to road but mode will not change. I have tried when bike not moving and when riding. I dont get why BMW programmed that burble sound into dynamic. I installed Rehmus cans on my GTL a few weeks ago and that noise is even more irritating now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-04-2019, 01:52 PM

Hmm never heard of that. I’d try disconnecting battery for a bit to see if it resets?

Had 2014 gtl premium spring 17 - winter 2019 (rode 25k miles). Bought used Wing to try out (10k miles), Nah-too boring and slow. Like GTL better, bought another GTL. Ha.
post #3 of 24 Old 05-04-2019, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Scotty. I will try that. Whats strange is that when setting rain or road it shows up on the screen but does not replace the dynamic word on top right screen above bike emblem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 05-04-2019, 02:04 PM

Are you pulling in the clutch lever after scrolling to the desired mode?

2016 K1600 GTL Brilliant Red Metallic
► There exists a group of people who believe that 2 > 4.
► "I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol." Steven Wright
► No government, constitution or law gives you any rights... breathing does.
post #5 of 24 Old 05-04-2019, 02:06 PM

Garage
No idea how to get it out of dynamic mode (pull the battery cable?)

The burble sound is not 'programmed in'. It is the byproduct of a high performance engine being run at its near optimal potential in combination with a free flowing exhaust. In any high performance engine it is difficult to optimize the size of the throttle body across such a wide range of throttle (airflow) requirements. (0-8000RPM). The throttle body delivers air, and there are going to be points in the air/fuel map which have the engine running slightly rich. One example of this is when you suddenly back off the throttle (decel) the throttle bodies closing faster than the fuel map is ready for so you end up with a greater fuel/air ratio and unburnt fuel outside of the combustion chamber. Couple this with hot exaust gases and the suddenly richer oxygen content at the end of the pipe and you get combustion induced fuel ignition. You can cure this by;

Don't use dynamic mode
Decrease the flow in the exhaust (adding more flow will make it worse as you experienced).
It can be tuned out with a different engine mapping but you will end up with other side effects

That burble, believe it or not, is a good thing, most high performance vehicles do this, watch a race sometime and you will see it happen when the car decelerates suddenly - typically setting up for a corner. It means that your engine is running on the right side of its fuel/air ratio for overall performance and its a small price to pay for maximum open throttle performance.

2012 BMW K1600GTL
post #6 of 24 Old 05-04-2019, 02:18 PM

To see the change from dynamic to rain or road, select the new mode while riding, then just back off the throttle and give it gas again, it should then flip...at least that is how I do it. I never bother with the clutch or anything else...

Cam
2014 K1600 GTL EXCLUSIVE (1st BMW)
CBDane Running lights
Schrodie dual colour emblems
Aeroflow Kit (Wings,Mini wings-GT Tall windshield)
Cal Science Xtra tall 26" windscreen
Dual BMW Communication Helmet Kits
PDM 60
Stebel Air horn (yet to be installed)
USB charger on bars
Issota trunk rack
post #7 of 24 Old 05-04-2019, 03:16 PM

Using the shift assist, I get a bit of burble even in Road mode when downshifting and the engine braking pulls it up above 3500 or so. I like the sound.

'18 GTL ebony metallic
added: Altrider engine bars, Ilium rear bars, Clearwater Darla and Billie brake lights
post #8 of 24 Old 05-04-2019, 04:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up 2 It View Post
To see the change from dynamic to rain or road, select the new mode while riding, then just back off the throttle and give it gas again, it should then flip...at least that is how I do it. I never bother with the clutch or anything else...
Select Mode, then pull clutch and selected mode will be activated. If you dont pull the clutch display reverts back and mode stays on.

2018 BMW K1600 GT
1967 HD FL Police
2018 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)

2014 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)
2005-2014 5 HD ElectraGlides (sold)
2003 HD Softail (sold)
1973-1982 various jalopies (gone)

'You know that the world is going to hll if they have to print instructions on a bag of toothpicks'
After Douglas Adams RIP
post #9 of 24 Old 05-04-2019, 04:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthling View Post
No idea how to get it out of dynamic mode (pull the battery cable?)

The burble sound is not 'programmed in'. It is the byproduct of a high performance engine being run at its near optimal potential in combination with a free flowing exhaust. In any high performance engine it is difficult to optimize the size of the throttle body across such a wide range of throttle (airflow) requirements. (0-8000RPM). The throttle body delivers air, and there are going to be points in the air/fuel map which have the engine running slightly rich. One example of this is when you suddenly back off the throttle (decel) the throttle bodies closing faster than the fuel map is ready for so you end up with a greater fuel/air ratio and unburnt fuel outside of the combustion chamber. Couple this with hot exaust gases and the suddenly richer oxygen content at the end of the pipe and you get combustion induced fuel ignition. You can cure this by;

Don't use dynamic mode
Decrease the flow in the exhaust (adding more flow will make it worse as you experienced).
It can be tuned out with a different engine mapping but you will end up with other side effects

That burble, believe it or not, is a good thing, most high performance vehicles do this, watch a race sometime and you will see it happen when the car decelerates suddenly - typically setting up for a corner. It means that your engine is running on the right side of its fuel/air ratio for overall performance and its a small price to pay for maximum open throttle performance.
There is a pronounced difference between road and dynamic mode. In dynamic mode it has an accentuated synthetic backfire that BMW programmed in. Same thing in many cars by now. They just add a few drops of fuel to create this. The burble I like too and I agree fully with your explanation.

2018 BMW K1600 GT
1967 HD FL Police
2018 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)

2014 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)
2005-2014 5 HD ElectraGlides (sold)
2003 HD Softail (sold)
1973-1982 various jalopies (gone)

'You know that the world is going to hll if they have to print instructions on a bag of toothpicks'
After Douglas Adams RIP

Last edited by ViennaK; 05-04-2019 at 04:25 PM.
post #10 of 24 Old 05-04-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaK View Post
Select Mode, then pull clutch and selected mode will be activated. If you dont pull the clutch display reverts back and mode stays on.
It's not the clutch, the engine mode only changes when the throttle is released. If CC is on, it maintains throttle so the mode won't change. I just blip the throttle (letting go of course) and it does fine.
Up 2 It likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page