Greetnigs from the Far NW...Port Angeles WA - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 12-26-2015, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Greetings from the Far NW...Port Angeles WA

My first bike teacher/friend used to commute twice monthly from Boise Idaho to Seattle WA, year round on a BMW 90RS. It was beautiful, and I fell in love with BMWs.

A few years later I bought a GoldWing and put several ten-thousands of miles upon it. I got rid of it when my second child was born.

A few years ago, my wife and I began considering getting a bike again. She passed away before we could do it together. A year and a half ago, I went ahead and made the plunge, purchasing a friends K1200LTC.

I put 26,000 miles on it in the next 13 months...loving all of it from TX to Alaska as well as using it as my primary vehicle. Now, I am planning to make one more jump; hopefully to a K1600GTL(E?).

I am enjoying hearing stories, reviews, opinions, etc, and especially looking for a really good, used K1600. Keep the shiny side up and the rubber side down.
dmftoy1 and Rocketsled like this.

Last edited by jfodge; 01-13-2016 at 01:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-27-2015, 12:52 AM

Welcome to the looney bin.

Many of us came here from LT's. Still quite a nice bike, but it simply doesn't compare to the power, agility, and gadgetry of the Big Six.

There are a few nice used bikes in the classified section here. It all depends on your budget and what year and options you're looking for.

I enjoyed your brief Alaska ride report. That trip is on my bucket list for sure. I did make it up to Hyder once, for all of about half an hour, but that's a whole 'nother story.

I may pick your brain about the Olympic Peninsula, as we're planning on riding up that way in early/mid April.

Again, welcome.

Ken IBA# 366
'13 K16GTL & '09 K13GT-LD
Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full.
All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 17 Old 12-27-2015, 09:32 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum.

Port Angeles, wow that brings back memories. I worked for a private contractor at the shipyards in Bremerton back in the early 90's. Port Angeles was on our way as we drove out to the coast. Beautiful area with the straight right there and Olympic NP so close. It was a small town back then, I'm guessing I wouldn't recognize it now.

Good luck with your search.

Freedom is the miles I'm rollin' on!

2014 GTL
2016 S1000 XR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 12-28-2015, 06:49 PM

Welcome aboard. You will love the bike.

Port Angeles, there a couple of summers ago.
Stayed at Port A and went straight up Hurricane Ridge.
Awesome area, can't wait until I repeat that trip.

See you out there.
post #5 of 17 Old 12-31-2015, 12:16 AM

Welcome to another WA member, I'm up by Ferndale/Whatcom county, just passed through P.A. on a quick trip to Sol Duc a couple months ago!
post #6 of 17 Old 01-08-2016, 10:37 AM

Hi jfodge.

Welcome to the forum. Lots of great info here.

Jack
post #7 of 17 Old 02-02-2016, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you to all of you who have sent "Welcome" messages. It is fun to see where all of you are from and how widespread this membership is.

Thanks for the advice, Darbinko, to look through the classifieds in this site. I have hooked up with Texanwest to purchase his 2013 K1600GTL, with ALL the farkles. Unfortunately, he is in Phoenix and I am in Port Angeles, and won't be able to pick the bike up until April. I can hardly wait.

I have appreciated several of the forums and discussions. The counsel that comes from experience and firsthand knowledge is gratefully received.

God bless all of you!
post #8 of 17 Old 02-02-2016, 01:56 PM

Garage
Welcome to the menagerie! Enjoy your new ride (once you get it), hopefully sooner than later.

Roland
"The Eyes of Texas are Upon You" except those in cages talking on the phone, texting, reading newspapers, applying makeup, scratching their n*ts, ................................................

15 GTL (looking for a new home)
16 R1200 GSA
17 CVO Limited
18 GTL
post #9 of 17 Old 02-02-2016, 02:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfodge View Post
Thank you to all of you who have sent "Welcome" messages. It is fun to see where all of you are from and how widespread this membership is.

Thanks for the advice, Darbinko, to look through the classifieds in this site. I have hooked up with Texanwest to purchase his 2013 K1600GTL, with ALL the farkles. Unfortunately, he is in Phoenix and I am in Port Angeles, and won't be able to pick the bike up until April. I can hardly wait.

!

Oh my gosh, you just got a GREAT deal. I remember when Texaswest joined and being stunned at the $$$$$ he dropped in adding farkles.

he comes across as as straight up guy. i am sure you will be very happy.

I'm just across the border in Vancouver Canada and we regularly pass through your neck of the woods. Great riding out that way.

The wait will be worthwhile

2013 Graphite GTL
PDM60
Amber Running Lights
Schroedie roundels
post #10 of 17 Old 02-02-2016, 03:28 PM

welcome to the family Jfodge..

enjoy the GTL.. beautiful bike...

ride on.... ride safe.

mike

Get the Original Owl Eyes AND the NEW Bagger T shirts here

http://www.erickson-graphics.com

'13 k1600GTL (aero wings, mini wings, JRyan Risers, Grip Buddies)
2009 BMW 328 xi wagon (diva's)
2011 BMW 328 sedan (mine)
2002 R1150RT (gone)
'10 VW GTi (APR stageII chip, billy boat exhaust, lowered) hit a deer (gone)
2006 BMW 525xi (gone)
2003 Porsche 911 C4s (gone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page