BMW K1600 Forum banner

New To Me 2013 Damask Red

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Darbinco 
#1 ·
Hello!
Just agreed to purchase a 2013 GTL Damask Red. I reside in both MN(ya, you betcha) and AZ. 50 years old and have been away from riding for about 5 years. I have found this forum to be very helpful!
Can't wait to start riding again!

Pete

#2 ·
I'm sure I'll need windshield

I know this has been discussed at length, but I thought I would ask. I pick up my 2013 GTL in 2 weeks and I am pretty sure I will be attempting to improve wind protection for my passenger. I am 6'0", 190, and my wife is 5'6", 125. We will be wearing C3s. I am planning on immediately adding Wings, miniwings and thinking about Aeroflow Hybrid Tall. Should I also consider CalSci XL/XW and Cee Bailey 26" Wide Body?? Any guesses as to what combination will provide the best protection for passenger? I don't mind looking through the screen...I always did on my VTX and Royal Star Tour Deluxe.

Thanks!!!

#3 ·
I have the Aeroflow windshield and wings but not the mini wings yet and I think the air management is OK for me and my wife who is a little taller than yours. Folks here say the mini wings add a lot more protection.

#5 ·
Welcome to the forum. I too have a 2013 Damask Red. I'm 6' 0" and 165, wife is 5' 7" , and lighter than I am. I bought a Cee Bailey 26" wide boy clear windscreen, and Aeroflow wings, but not the mini wings. Wife was OK with the stock screen, but with the additions she is very happy, turbulence is greatly reduced for her. You might inquire if any forum members are in your area that have different screens, and if you could take their bike for a test ride. When we were in western Colorado 2 years ago, we stopped by to see forum member Darby Sackett. He took my bike out with his wife. When they returned, he ordered a Cee Bailey.

#6 ·
Yup, I rode it and ordered myself one. 24" wide with light tint. I also use the mini wings as they take a lot of wind off the hands. I took the lower set of wings off the bike last spring and won't be putting them back on.

Pete,
I'm 6-2" and the 24" Cee Bailey is perfect. I would caution about getting too tall of a screen for a list of reasons. You really do want to just see over the top of it and a 26 might not let you do that in the down position. You can raise a 24 and you can't a taller one. For someone a couple inches shorter than I a 22" tall screen would work fine. You will also find a little airflow helps to keep cool in the summer so being able to lower a screen is beneficial in that regard.

I raise my 24 a couple inches from the down position and that's it. I also have a taller than stock seat so that must be considered too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.