2018 grand america speakers - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 04-08-2018, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
2018 grand america speakers

This is my 1st bmw cycle.
So after dropping $27k for the new 2018 grand america, i am very disappointed in the quality of the sound system. After watching a youtube video, i grabbed my tools and removed the speaker covers. I was very shocked to find only one single very cheap 4" soft rubber driver with no tweeter in a sealed box enclosure. I took the speaker box up to the local bmw dealer and asked service if they knew how to get the box apart w/o breaking it to replace the driver. The answer was no...the unit is sealed shut and there is no way to remove or replace the driver. This thing looks nothing like the k1600 gtl speaker assembly which consists of a removable 4" driver and a separate 1" tweeter. The only way to upgrade and get a better sound is to purchase gtl speaker assembly and go from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-08-2018, 07:23 AM

Garage
It is an upgrade, can‘t you see that? Less weight, less distraction, less neighborhood issues and only a small fortune for BMW.
Seriously I noticed the same thing and the marketing buzzword got a real meaning. These speakers are a joke for those folks who use them. Luckily don't use them at all, but I fully support pissed off owners.
crazyarch likes this.

2018 BMW K1600 GT
1967 HD FL Police
2018 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)

2014 BMW K1600 GTL (sold)
2005-2014 5 HD ElectraGlides (sold)
2003 HD Softail (sold)
1973-1982 various jalopies (gone)

'You know that the world is going to h€ll if they have to print instructions on a bag of toothpicks'
After Douglas Adams RIP
post #3 of 17 Old 04-08-2018, 09:52 AM

Garage
First of all, congrats on the new bike and welcome to the forum. If you search on the audio subforum, you’ll find many here who have rather easily removed the OEM speakers and replaced with 4” Alpines or JBL’s, assuming you wish to remain tethered to the bike’s audio. Otherwise, there are just as many who have ditched it in favor of Bluetooth audio via smartphone, the Nav system or USB with helmet comms and in ear monitors (IEM). It’s worth a few hours read.

BMW K1600 Bluetooth & Audio - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums

2018 K1600B: Forged Wheels; RDL Seat; 7Jurock Windscreen; Clearwater Betsys/Darlas; Ryan’s Handlebar Risers; Wunderlich Stuff; Ilium Saddlebag Guards; HEX ezCAN; Bren Tune

“Critical thinking...the last frontier.”

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure...than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." Teddy Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 04-08-2018, 10:14 AM

Garage
You can open the boxes using a heat gun after you removed the 3 screws

There is a long thread where people have compare speakers and options (amp vs just the speakers, etc)

I just changed the speakers myself and the difference is night and day

https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-...ml#post2233154
post #5 of 17 Old 04-08-2018, 10:28 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum, congrats on your new GA.

I too will say it's unfortunate that the stock system is poor, we did pay a premium for it however..

Set yourself up with Bluetooth audio via a cell phone to a Sena unit on your helmet. It's much better for several reasons including the fact that... nobody else really cares to hear what music your listening to.
Gunnert, ViennaK and Baldhills like this.

Freedom is the miles I'm rollin' on!

I'm ridin' a 2014 K1600 GTL and I am loving every minute of it!
post #6 of 17 Old 04-12-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
This is my 1st bmw cycle.
So after dropping $27k for the new 2018 grand america, i am very disappointed in the quality of the sound system. After watching a youtube video, i grabbed my tools and removed the speaker covers. I was very shocked to find only one single very cheap 4" soft rubber driver with no tweeter in a sealed box enclosure. I took the speaker box up to the local bmw dealer and asked service if they knew how to get the box apart w/o breaking it to replace the driver. The answer was no...the unit is sealed shut and there is no way to remove or replace the driver. This thing looks nothing like the k1600 gtl speaker assembly which consists of a removable 4" driver and a separate 1" tweeter. The only way to upgrade and get a better sound is to purchase gtl speaker assembly and go from there.
I sat on a GA a couple weeks ago and didn't even notice the difference! That's really unfortunate that the bike is so expensive and you get crap speakers! There has to be a way to replace the speakers to aftermarket, good luck!
post #7 of 17 Old 04-12-2018, 10:28 AM

I'm one of the majority here that wishes they'd just remove the sound system completely.
fasduc and texasdw like this.
post #8 of 17 Old 04-12-2018, 10:36 AM

I used the speakers once in the last 7 years and it was just to see if they worked. A Bluetooth Sena unit comes with speakers for your helmet and if you get some molded earplugs it will give you a better sound.

Rick
2012 K1600GT (smashed)
2015 K1600GT (went over a cliff)
2018 R1200GS
post #9 of 17 Old 11-16-2018, 11:52 AM

Hello Snowboy, thank you for your good advice on the speaker upgrade. I used the Alpine 4" and it is very sweet compare to the crap BMW's. Big difference even without the AMP. I do have one, but will hold for now. Listening to XM now is a pleasure. Thanks again.
post #10 of 17 Old 11-16-2018, 09:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpetel1965 View Post
Hello Snowboy, thank you for your good advice on the speaker upgrade. I used the Alpine 4" and it is very sweet compare to the crap BMW's. Big difference even without the AMP. I do have one, but will hold for now. Listening to XM now is a pleasure. Thanks again.
Cool

Try it with a USB stick, sound is much better than satellite radio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page