New member - Houston, TX - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 05-08-2018, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
New member - Houston, TX

Hello all,

I will be picking up my 2012 GTL soon (tomorrow, hopefully) and I hope to get a lot of good advice on here about my new bike! Prior to this BMW I was exclusively a cruiser rider (mostly due to brainwashing by the family) and this is my first foray into the sport world, even if it is a sport touring. I have almost 20 years of street riding experience, and I was on three wheelers and dirt bikes from an early age. For now I am almost always 2-up except for the work commute, but the wife will be taking her learn-to-ride class at the end of this month, so who knows after that. I live just south of Houston so if there are any groups down here I would love to get together sometime!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-14-2018, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hello again!

So after 4 days with my GTL I have to say that it is very fun! Much more maneuverable than my Rocket III, no surprise there, and just generally more fun which was exactly what I had been missing. It did not take me nearly as long as I thought it might to get accustomed to the bike, I had warned the wife I might need a few weeks to adjust to it. It is definitely much easier to handle solo, but she loves to ride. We took it out for about 4 hours on Saturday to test it out, and I have to say that I feel there are only a few tweaks I will have to make to fit it to me. The previous owner put the Ilium Sportboards on but did not lower the brake or shifter, so I will have to fix that as I am not enjoying having to almost completely lift my foot to shift. The only other thing is the saddle, a Corbin. My Rocket has a Corbin and it has been by far the most comfortable seat I have ever owned. I think a lot of it has to do with me just needing to learn to position myself better for sport riding (or just do some squats), but in order to prevent butt fatigue from setting in very quick I have to pretty much put the boys right on the gas tank. This means there is a slight gap behind me to the back of the driver seat. Is this normal? I can ride that way with no problem, I am just curious as to whether I should track down a stock seat to try (the bike came as-is with none of the stock items that were replaced) or if I just need to make some adjustments myself.
post #3 of 17 Old 05-14-2018, 11:45 PM

Garage
Welcome to the club!!

If life gives you MELONS you may be dyslexic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 05-15-2018, 07:14 AM

Welcome. Like any other bike, my best advice is to ride it ago least a thousand miles to be sure you are acclimated to the bike. I assume you deal with the dealer off the Gulf Freeway and did with your Rocket. They are a quirky dealer and like any dealer it helps to get to know the key folks, especially the owner....Cliff. I’ve bought three bikes from them and he has treated me well.

Jim
2017 Yamaha FJR1300...Prev 2013 & 2015 1600GT,
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale ABS....2017 KTM 1290 Superduke GT

Last edited by jjscsix; 05-15-2018 at 07:35 AM.
post #5 of 17 Old 05-15-2018, 07:23 AM

Welcome and congratulations. Great to have another Texan on here.

Chris H (formerly known here as Charlie Fogg)

2018 K1600 GTL
2014 K1600 GTL (Gone)
2015 R1200 RT (Gone)
post #6 of 17 Old 05-15-2018, 07:36 AM

Welcome. No that riding position is not normal. As previously recommended you may want to put a couple 1000 miles on it before making changes. Then you'll find lot of options.

If you keep an eye out, there usually is a Russell seat up for sale for the GTL. You can grab one of those and see if it works better for you (does for me). You can also take some pictures with you on it and send to Russell Day Long to have them recommend any modifications.

Happy riding.

18 KTM 1290 SAS, 19 DR650, 19 DRZ400S - IBA#42277
Sold - 18 K1600B, 1200S DVT, F800GS, K1600GTL, S1000RR, R1200GSA, K1300GT, CB600, GL1800, R1200RT, K75 and the list goes on.
post #7 of 17 Old 05-15-2018, 07:57 AM

Garage
Congrats on the new ride and welcome to the forum!

James

‘18 K16GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic with matching BMW top-box, Bomber Brown RDL, Denali D7s, Ilium f&r bars with highway pegs
IBA # 63673
‘14 FJR-ES Candy Red (sold)
‘83 CB1100F Blue White & Red (in a garage);
‘83 CB1100F Red White & Black (in a shed);
‘76 CR125 Elsinore Red (sold);
‘73? CB125S Torquoise (sold)
post #8 of 17 Old 05-15-2018, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Ty all!

@JJ - So my Rocket was a consignment at a small dealership on the north side of town, and this GTL was from an individual, but if you are referring to Gulf Coast then yes, I have dealt with them for almost all of my bike service. Good guys for the most part, but I am just loathe to go north of the beltway if I can help it due to the construction. On another note, do you have any groups you could recommend for rides? I've found Houston Sport Touring on Meetup and they seem like a decent bunch, also found STAR Riders Gulf Coast. I prospected years ago with a club, but the chapter I was in had some internal issues and it turned me off of grouping up for a while, so not really something I've looked into much since I moved to Houston five years ago.
@sfoster - I'll keep an eye out for one of the Russell seats. I was actually looking at their website yesterday to gauge prices, but I'm trying to sell my Rocket before I buy anything for the GTL. I'll keep putting on the miles and see how it feels. My daily commute is around 85 miles, shouldn't take long.

Last edited by Sern; 05-15-2018 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Replying to the correct people.
post #9 of 17 Old 05-15-2018, 09:36 AM

Garage
Two Wheeled Texans - Two Wheeled Texans. We tend to meet somewhere for food on a regular basis. Small groups ride in from various points and meet with others from around the state. Monthly Pie Run on the last Saturday and other semi-planned things. Last Saturday was a BBQ at my place. Next Saturday is a Fish Fry at in Smithville (near Bastrop). There is at least one K16 rider on here near you and a good friend of mine. CDC is his screen name and he is in Katy. He'll be coming up for the Fish Fry.

The Fish Fry is a semi-potluck. Lots of people bring food, but not required. Ron catches and cooks all the fish.

Ron's Fish Fry 2018 Edition - TWT Forums

Come join us.

Oh, and welcome to owning a K1600 and to the site.

Rusty Myers - Austin, TX

2009 BMW R 1200 GS Adventure
2013 BWM K 1600 GT
post #10 of 17 Old 05-15-2018, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
@woodbutcher - Hey, count me in. I'll see if the SO wants to join.
woodbutcher likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page