Overheating issues... - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 11-06-2018, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Overheating issues...

Hi...I have read many posts on this subject and after more overheating issues have decided to build an engineered solution.The radiator fouling is understood, but the ongoing overheating issues persist in crawling traffic and slow speed high load situations.My bike has had an issue since approx 5k and itís well over 20k now. In the U.K. it seems fine but on the continent away it goes.....in June I was almost at the top of the Stelvio and in came the red flashing warnings. The radiator is a compromise and appears the same frontal area as all the the 1000 1200 1300 and now 1600......the fan comes on too late to be effective in high heatload situations. The radiator was cleaned 3x prior to this years European trips ( once as part of the 28k service)..fluid changed, engine burped...levels all fine.
All in an effort to address the overheating.....but it still overheated.
So it needs an engineering solution....an additional fan....I have bought all the necessary parts and will be fitting it this winter....it will run on its own micro processor thermostat (couple of pounds from China) and will come in when the 6th bar indicates at 207 deg F thats 20 deg F before the main fan. The second fan will operate independent of the main cooling system which will allow fine tuning.
BMW are unwilling to enter into any dialogue on this, which is a shame dealers are none the wiser but Kawasaki had a similar issue on there big bikes and in short order fitted and additional fan.....and fixed the problem.
A further consideration is to mount a fan behind the oil cooler. .....but thatís for another day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-31-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildesc View Post
Hi...I have read many posts on this subject and after more overheating issues have decided to build an engineered solution.The radiator fouling is understood, but the ongoing overheating issues persist in crawling traffic and slow speed high load situations.My bike has had an issue since approx 5k and itís well over 20k now. In the U.K. it seems fine but on the continent away it goes.....in June I was almost at the top of the Stelvio and in came the red flashing warnings. The radiator is a compromise and appears the same frontal area as all the the 1000 1200 1300 and now 1600......the fan comes on too late to be effective in high heatload situations. The radiator was cleaned 3x prior to this years European trips ( once as part of the 28k service)..fluid changed, engine burped...levels all fine.

All in an effort to address the overheating.....but it still overheated.

So it needs an engineering solution....an additional fan....I have bought all the necessary parts and will be fitting it this winter....it will run on its own micro processor thermostat (couple of pounds from China) and will come in when the 6th bar indicates at 207 deg F thats 20 deg F before the main fan. The second fan will operate independent of the main cooling system which will allow fine tuning.

BMW are unwilling to enter into any dialogue on this, which is a shame dealers are none the wiser but Kawasaki had a similar issue on there big bikes and in short order fitted and additional fan.....and fixed the problem.

A further consideration is to mount a fan behind the oil cooler. .....but thatís for another day.

Any luck with a simple fix or solution?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 12 Old 05-31-2019, 11:58 PM

They donít all overheat. My 1600 never has never over heated ever in very hot conditions. Cleaning the radiator and a fender extender is the answer. This my 2nd K1600 and never an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-01-2019, 12:39 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieT View Post
They don’t all overheat. My 1600 never has never over heated ever in very hot conditions. Cleaning the radiator and a fender extender is the answer. This my 2nd K1600 and never an issue.
I thought the same until I took my K1600GTS to Alaska. Ride a few dirt roads and you'll see the overheating. I have had a fan replaced but I still see high engine temperatures after spirited riding or on 85+ degF days.

PS. I have a fender extender and regularly clean my radiator.
Gunnert and GTLen like this.

Andy
2015 K1600GTS (aka KBiK)
ALTRider Engine Guard and Illium Rear Tip-Over Bars. Adaptiv TPX Radar Detector and SPOT Gen 3
TopSpeed LED high beam bulbs, Clearwater Ericas and Darlas, Billie Brake Light with CANopener 4. Skene P3 Rear Brake Lights and Photon Blaster Turn signals with PDM60. Sargent Seat.
Scuberth C4 Pro, Helite vest with Hi-Viz, Aerostich Roadcrafter Lite suit

2012 Yamaha Supere Tenere (Traded for GT)
2005 Honda ST1300A (Sold)
post #5 of 12 Old 06-01-2019, 02:22 AM

Before I crashed my k16 I was investigating ways to improve the cooling in the k16.

I had considered adding active cooling fans to the oil cooler intake and looking at a third party solution to the radiator. The 16's problem is one of isolation when it comes to parts, there's tons of options for the S1000 and the R series but K bikes are left out in the cold so to speak when it comes to parts options.

Some of you may have air trapped in your coolant lines but I put enough miles on the k16 to know the cooling works but under extreme conditions, it could use some improvement. Waiting on BMW to do it is going to be a very long wait.
amorley likes this.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-01-2019, 01:52 PM

Garage
If you ride in very high temps and city type traffic you can see the overheat. The fan will never stop but is that what the K1600 was designed for or is it a touring /sport touring bike?

The stock radiator is it a single pass unit anyone know?

Ian

Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-01-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildesc View Post
Sounds like an elegant solution to a fairly common issue. Probably not patentable, but even so you might be able to make up kits and sell them to enough K16 owners to make it worthwhile. Talk to RL about selling his inner oil sump plug.

'18 GTL ebony metallic
added: Altrider engine bars, Ilium rear bars, Clearwater Darla and Billie brake lights
post #8 of 12 Old 06-01-2019, 09:14 PM

Garage
Seems like a simple solution would be to kick the fan on sooner. That would be a simple software update. Bet Bren Tuning could do it?

My 18 B has yet to be a issue, that said, the fan doesn't kick on till the temp bar is pretty high. I suspect that BMW wants them to run on the Hot side to meet emissions.

Another option would be a higher output fan. There is a cheap used fan setup off a 18 K1600BGA on eBay. Would make experimentation easier.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk
post #9 of 12 Old 06-01-2019, 09:59 PM

Garage
You don't need a software update, just change whatever resistance the bike is measuring.

2012 BMW K1600GTL
post #10 of 12 Old 06-02-2019, 06:30 AM

Garage
Those suffering with the cooling issue will be fully aware that it is largely down to their biking lifestyle, always accepting that good housekeeping makes sure the rad is kept scrupulously clean.

Take a K16 up a high mountain road, with slow hairpins & steep gradients & I suspect most will throw the red light & ask for a cool off half way up. Similarly, after a long blast at high speed, coming into a town & getting caught in traffic can create a similar scenario. It's the nature of the beast; after all, there is only 5mm between each cylinder, so no room for coolant between the pots. Clearly BMW optimised the size of the rad, so a twin fan set-up seems entirely logical to me; anything to dissipate heat & draw more airflow across the rad at low speed.
BluegrassPicker and Jari1959 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page