$0.15 Center stand on $32000 bike!?? - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 04-19-2019, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

$0.15 Center stand on $32000 bike!??

I rode in to work this morning, and at the intersection with hwy6 about a mile from home I went through the same 'dip' as always--it's a bit more than is comfortable at speed, but the light is never green, so it's just a bump in the road and not at all what I'd call jarring or severe by any stretch of imagination. So, other side of the intersection and the bike sounds horrible; scraping, bumping, clanging, just god-awful noises. So I quickly pulled over and checked things out. After a few minutes I realized my center stand is on the ground, dragging. A quick look shows how the double-springs are *supposed* to be holding it up, but I'm on the side of the road sans- springs. The small metal plate they attach to, thankfully, was still dangling from its post, so I flipped around and bang-clang-danged my way back to the house.

I found a couple of identical (to each other) springs which I bought years ago for some project, and they're probably a tiny bit shorter or stiffer than stock. But since the factory ones bounced right off at the first invitation I think they'll do fine until I get to the dealer and get the proper springs back on.

Anyone else had issues with the springs on the center stand? Anyone using other than stock springs/setups? My duct-tape-n-bailing-wire solution will hold for a day or so I'm sure, but having stronger springs on it now has me worried maybe I'll end up pulling through the metal link (it has to be steel, not aluminum right?), or the post it keyholes onto? Would love to know if this is a fluke for my own enjoyment or a general weakness that I haven't heard about?

I'm sure this bump wasn't the only cause since I know I've hit a couple bumps/potholes that were actually deserving of their names in the past few months. So this morning was just a convenient time for me to learn about this (maybe) weakness in the design. Still, having the ultimate bike with such a ridiculous 'first failure' has me rather... 'rattled'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-22-2019, 12:49 AM

I wouldn't worry about it. I haven't seen anybody else post this. I will add two comments to this.

1. While out terrorizing levee roads I've hit hard enough to bottom out the suspension on my '18 B and the center stand that I added on is fine.

2. My guess is that your previous excursions is where the problem started. On my ST1300 I hit a block of wood that came off a truck and it did a nice job of dislodging the center stand and losing the springs. Oh and yes the ST1300 had the thin metal spring plate as well. As far as I know most bikes are this way.

Matt S.
2018 K1600B- black beauty
2007 ST1300- silver bullet
1981 CB900C- blue bomb
post #3 of 13 Old 04-22-2019, 03:37 AM

Garage
I do recall a couple of other mentions of losing one spring, making the centerstand bounce down and scrape briefly far more easily. I don't recall someone losing two but it wouldn't seem all that far fetched for it to occur when losing one has happened a few times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-22-2019, 04:10 AM

Garage
stock exhaust ?

R80/7RT / K75RT / R1200RT / K1600 GTL - in the U.K.
Also Rans ( Honda C90 & CD175 & CX500 & ST1100, Suzuki GT250 (J) & X7, Puch Maxi), Coveted Honda CBX, Yamaha Martini XS 1300 & FS1E, Kawasaki Z900, Z1000 & Z650, Quasar, Suzuki GT750
post #5 of 13 Old 04-22-2019, 04:12 AM

Yep I have a spring pop off every once in a while. They are a tiny bit too long and can pop off.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #6 of 13 Old 04-22-2019, 05:53 AM

I hit a piece of metal in the road and lost the side stand spring a few years ago and obviously, that killed the engine. I was able to get some rope and tie it up to make my way back home.

Just a tip to installing the new spring: Fit coins or washers between the spring until it stretches far enough to install.
J-Luv and Jonnybow like this.

2012 Grey K1600GTL
Tampa, Florida
post #7 of 13 Old 04-22-2019, 06:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver View Post
I hit a piece of metal in the road and lost the side stand spring a few years ago and obviously, that killed the engine. I was able to get some rope and tie it up to make my way back home.

Just a tip to installing the new spring: Fit coins or washers between the spring until it stretches far enough to install.
I prefer a small diameter thick walled pvc tube hooked around the spring loop. Gives enough stretch and can be cut out if too tight once installed, and obviously stand in the stowed position

R80/7RT / K75RT / R1200RT / K1600 GTL - in the U.K.
Also Rans ( Honda C90 & CD175 & CX500 & ST1100, Suzuki GT250 (J) & X7, Puch Maxi), Coveted Honda CBX, Yamaha Martini XS 1300 & FS1E, Kawasaki Z900, Z1000 & Z650, Quasar, Suzuki GT750
post #8 of 13 Old 04-22-2019, 08:51 AM

Garage
It's just springs, had the engineers come up with a better solution you would have paid 35k for the bike..
d martin and Morgan like this.

Freedom is the miles I'm rollin' on!

I'm ridin' a 2014 K1600 GTL and I am loving every minute of it!
post #9 of 13 Old 04-22-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dragon View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. I haven't seen anybody else post this. I will add two comments to this.

1. While out terrorizing levee roads I've hit hard enough to bottom out the suspension on my '18 B and the center stand that I added on is fine.

2. My guess is that your previous excursions is where the problem started. On my ST1300 I hit a block of wood that came off a truck and it did a nice job of dislodging the center stand and losing the springs. Oh and yes the ST1300 had the thin metal spring plate as well. As far as I know most bikes are this way.
Youíve been on the forum less than a year. There are plenty of posts about this exact problem dating back to 2012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbinco View Post
It's just springs, had the engineers come up with a better solution you would have paid 35k for the bike..
Shorter springs need not to have cost anymore. Should actually cost less. If BMW listened to customers, this would be fixed by now (2019).

What some owners have done to prevent this, is to pinch closed the ends of their current OEM springs a bit more. Keeps them from coming unhooked.
Rick92040 and Scott Titensor like this.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-22-2019, 01:32 PM

Garage
Twice, I've lost a single spring while traversing roads I should have shied away from. The single remaining spring allowed the center stand to sag and occasionally touch the ground on the harsher dips. Which made me take notice and put a tie wrap to good use.

I'm guessing (like somebody else did) that you had already lost one spring, then lost the other, either on the same trip or on different trips.

John
2018 K1600 GT - Option 719 Blue Planet w/forged wheels

2014 K1600 GTL - Magnesium Beige (past)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page