Crashed! - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 Old 06-09-2019, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Crashed!

Hi everyone, just thought I’d let you all know what happens when a car hits you from behind while your are stationary at a junction.
Bike was 5 days old and I’d just ridden 300 miles in one day to get the mileage up for first Service.
Sitting at a junction, this fool hits me in the rear! Bike lurched forward and I fell off!
No damage to me but.....
The bike fell on its right side and slid about 2 feet.
Managed to ride it to BMW dealership.
Their estimate on damage was, wait for it, £1600, which included a replacement engine!!!
The upshot of this is that the insurance valued the NEW bike at £16000 ( it cost me £20100 5 days before!)
Therefore they deemed it an uneconomical repair and want to right it off!!!!
It only fell on its side!
Just thought I’d share this with you all as a warning of the immediate depreciation and vulnerability of these bikes.
Morgan and K16guy like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 06-09-2019, 12:41 PM

Wow , glad to hear you are ok. That's some serious depreciation.
post #3 of 51 Old 06-09-2019, 12:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andymac View Post
Hi everyone, just thought Iíd let you all know what happens when a car hits you from behind while your are stationary at a junction.
Bike was 5 days old and Iíd just ridden 300 miles in one day to get the mileage up for first Service.
Sitting at a junction, this fool hits me in the rear! Bike lurched forward and I fell off!
No damage to me but.....
The bike fell on its right side and slid about 2 feet.
Managed to ride it to BMW dealership.
Their estimate on damage was, wait for it, £1600, which included a replacement engine!!!
The upshot of this is that the insurance valued the NEW bike at £16000 ( it cost me £20100 5 days before!)
Therefore they deemed it an uneconomical repair and want to right it off!!!!
It only fell on its side!
Just thought Iíd share this with you all as a warning of the immediate depreciation and vulnerability of these bikes.

Great deal for you. Take the check. minus the salvage value, and the bike. Fix/upgrade it yourself. Use the difference for additional upgrades.
Meese, Morgan, claw and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 Old 06-09-2019, 12:55 PM

Garage
Oh thatís horrible, but at least youíre ok.

My insurance provides a new bike if itís written off in the first three years. Iím sure something similar exists over there. Too late now I know, but itís a good Ďoptioní to ask for next time.

Donna
(Itís all fun until I break a nail!)
Pink and Black K1600B
post #5 of 51 Old 06-09-2019, 12:55 PM

Garage
PHUCKING people and their distracted driving going to cost one of us or more our lives. Idiots. Happy that your flesh and bone was not damaged beyond repair too.

There is thy gold, worse poison to men's souls,
Doing more murders in this loathsome world,
Than these poor compounds that thou mayst not sell.
I sell thee poison; thou hast sold me none.
post #6 of 51 Old 06-09-2019, 01:03 PM

The most important lesson to be learned from your experience is the importance of IMMEDIATELY installing crash bars on the K1600... In a low speed crash the bars do protect the engine.

Duane
Meese, dhendy, Darbinco and 4 others like this.

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
post #7 of 51 Old 06-09-2019, 01:17 PM

Tell them it makes your neck hurt if they don't find you an equivalent replacement bike (i.e., same model year with 300 miles on it).
bbolesaz, dhendy and Morgan like this.

'18 GTL ebony metallic
added: Altrider engine bars, Ilium rear bars, Clearwater Darla and Billie brake lights
post #8 of 51 Old 06-09-2019, 02:00 PM

Bummer about the bike, glad to hear that you're OK.

Go after their insurance company for full bike value. Show your purchase paperwork as proof. Include all taxes, delivery & set up fees, etc. Basically, give them the full out-the-door amount that you paid for the bike.

I had a similar incident where my K1300GT was totaled within the first 90 days of picking up the bike. Once I showed the purchase paperwork, they gave me full value for it (good thing they didn't notice that I'd added 20,000 miles on it in that time).

Did any of your gear get damaged or scraped? Gather your receipts and go after those full replacement costs as well.

All my gear was paid out in full, as long as I provided either the original receipts, or else showed new retail prices for the same gear (manufacturer websites worked well enough for that).

I also had a set amount of accessory coverage, which worked as long as I provided receipts or proof of cost. That was easy, as my accessories totaled up to more than that coverage was so they just paid me the maximum. I did increase my accessory coverage for the next time though, as it was a small addition to the premium for thousands more coverage.

Did the dealer charge you to do the damage estimate? Turn in that receipt, and get reimbursement for that cost as well.

Once all that is settled and they come up with a better number that includes all of your out-of-pocket costs, ask them what the salvage value is if you keep the damaged bike. Then you can decide if it's worth your time to fix it properly (and immediately add crash bars), or if you'd rather just let it go and get a shiny new one.

Remember, the insurance adjuster's job (especially if their client is at fault) is to minimize payout. So they always start with a lowball offer. Prove your costs, be polite but firm, and don't settle for anything less.

And if you do decide to let the bike go, then please tell me what the salvage value is, as I'd gladly fly over and take it off your hands for that salvage price...

Ken IBA# 366
'13 K16GTL & '09 K13GT-LD
Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full.
All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by Meese; 06-09-2019 at 02:15 PM.
post #9 of 51 Old 06-09-2019, 02:12 PM

I'm glad you came out of this OK, not everyone does. It should be a reminder that when you are at a stop, keep the bike in gear, have an escape plan in your head and watch your rearview mirrors for vehicles approaching faster than usual and do this every time you stop. Several years ago in Arizona, 4 were killed and 5 injured when a dump truck slammed into a group while they were stopped at a traffic light. It's dangerous out there kids, stay alert.
BionicDan, ILGTLowner and gooddog like this.

'08 Suzuki DR650
post #10 of 51 Old 06-09-2019, 02:23 PM

Garage
the insurance companies I have used in the UK will replace a new bike under 6 months old with a new one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page