New to BMW - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-16-2019, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

New to BMW

Hi everyone,

I’m looking to purchase a K1600 GTL. I figured this was a good place to start to get some info. I’m a Harley convert but I really enjoy the ride of the K1600. I look forward to gaining some insight and wisdom from all the experienced BMW riders here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-18-2019, 11:01 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum from another Harley convert. Lots of wisdom and knowledge here. Not sure if you’re looking to buy new or used, but if you’re near a dealer my advice would be to ride all the K1600 models to be comfortable with your choice.

2018 K1600B: Forged Wheels; RDL Seat; 7Jurock Windscreen; Clearwater Betsys/Darlas; Ryan’s Handlebar Risers; Wunderlich Stuff; Ilium Saddlebag Guards; HEX ezCAN; Bren Tune

“Critical thinking...the last frontier.”

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure...than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." Teddy Roosevelt
post #3 of 6 Old 06-19-2019, 08:32 AM

Garage
Welcome. Make yourself at home. ^^^+1 what Ron said...that's good advice. Good luck and enjoy whichever model fits you.

James

‘18 K16GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic with matching BMW top-box, Bomber Brown RDL, Denali D7s, Ilium f&r bars with highway pegs
IBA # 63673
‘14 FJR-ES Candy Red (sold)
‘83 CB1100F Blue White & Red (in a garage);
‘83 CB1100F Red White & Black (in a shed);
‘76 CR125 Elsinore Red (sold);
‘73? CB125S Torquoise (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-19-2019, 12:19 PM

Garage
Welcome and good choice. Please ride them all before you drain your account a bit. All dealers will let you with no issues and most carry them all to try. Also, if you buy one privately, do not get it, if records are unknown. If you do find records, do not hesitate to schedule a local dealer to look at it and give you a report. It pays !!!!! It does not matter the age or mileage, it is a must. These bikes are very involved and require full attention, service wise. I hear some horror stories. I had a GTLE that I got used. Fantastic machine, but was not the most comfortable for a 6'4"/ 205 lbs. The GA killed it for me. Again, ride them all as much as you can. Good luck and happy riding.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-19-2019, 12:38 PM

Garage
Reliability-wise, you shouldn't be in for a shock, like someone who'd only ever owned newer, Big 4 bikes. BMW is comparable to "new" H-D, and more reliable than old.

As stated, the biggest issue is also the greatest strength of these bikes; my Daddy would say, "Oh, it's got all that great stuff on it? Just more to break!"

Obviously, most of us think the pluses outweigh the minuses, but you won't find many mindless Koolaid drinkers here who claim these bikes never need repair. The more complexity and sophistication you add to anything mechanical, and the more issues have potential to crop up. Keep up with the service, as also advised above, and your reliability chances go up markedly.

If, like many of us did, you fell in love with the engine, and the incredibly nimble handling for a bike so large, you'll most likely be happy as a clam.

Even if I didn't address it, ALL the advice you got in this thread is excellent. Welcome to the forum, and post often!

Joey

2019 K1600GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic, Brown Seat, Forged Wheels
2006 K1200S
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
post #6 of 6 Old 06-19-2019, 02:24 PM

Garage
Evldice, per my last comments, please know that after buying the first BMW ever, I really do not think I can ride anything else anymore, as simple as that. Totally sold by this company.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page