New k16 owner, Lincolnshire UK - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By VFR_Steve
  • 1 Post By squibb

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-10-2019, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

New k16 owner, Lincolnshire UK

Hey all,

I'm a proud new owner of a pristine late 2012 K1600GT SE (my first ever BMW) I previously owned an 07 FJR and after a mammoth European trip, decided to trade it in. I've already racked up over 1200 miles in my first week of ownership and getting to know her better every ride. I am blown away with the features, that intoxicating engine and the suspension, she just glides over bumps ! For such a heavy bike I'm shocked how planted and agile it is compared to my FJR, my only issue is I'm not sure what to call her!

I've got a couple of small niggles I'd like to ask, firstly, when backing off the throttle there seems to be a point where the power just falls off a cliff and makes the bike unsettled - Is this normal? I'm getting more used to it and I've heard riding in Road mode helps. However it can be a little disconcerting at times. I've also noticed that in the morning when the engine is still cold, the bike hunts when idling, the engine purrs beautifully but tends to go up and down a few hundred revs if that makes sense.

My final question is, I like to do big miles. I managed to grab this beauty for 9 grand with full service history with only 13,000 miles. Are these bikes built to handle decent mileage? I've opted for a years warranty from the dealer.

Anyway enough of all that, here is a pic of my new K16:

Cheers all!
AndyspK16 likes this.

Last edited by VFR_Steve; 09-10-2019 at 09:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-10-2019, 09:45 AM

Garage
Congrats and welcome! Glad you're here. You mention the FJR but screen moniker includes VFR. I can't answer much about questions specific to the earlier versions of the K. Hopefully folks with experience chime in. I know there were some issues with the earlier bikes that were eventually resolved. Perhaps they were address on your bike by the previous owner. I have a local riding buddy with over 100k miles on his. Many guys put 50-80k miles on them and the pattern I see is keeping an extended warranty on them or trading them in for a bike with factory warranty. Depreciation is a pretty big hit so there are plenty of guys who just keep riding them. My impressions are that there aren't many bikes as reliable and solid as the FJR. But the QC on BMW is greatly improved. And the K isn't quite the quirky bike that some classic BMW's might have been. There are lots of good friendly folks willing to help on this forum and most of whom will simply out-ride casual motorcycle enthusiasts.

On a side note, I was away from bikes for many years. Honda's VFR got me interested again back in 2012 or so. Then I discovered the K16, but couldn't quite pull the trigger and ended up on a '14 FJR before the K in '18.

James

‘18 K16GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic with matching BMW top-box, Bomber Brown RDL, Denali D7s, Ilium f&r bars with highway pegs
IBA # 63673
‘14 FJR-ES Candy Red (sold)
‘83 CB1100F Blue White & Red (in a garage);
‘83 CB1100F Red White & Black (in a shed);
‘76 CR125 Elsinore Red (sold);
‘73? CB125S Torquoise (sold)
post #3 of 7 Old 09-10-2019, 06:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR_Steve View Post
Hey all,

I'm a proud new owner of a pristine late 2012 K1600GT SE (my first ever BMW) I previously owned an 07 FJR and after a mammoth European trip, decided to trade it in. I've already racked up over 1200 miles in my first week of ownership and getting to know her better every ride. I am blown away with the features, that intoxicating engine and the suspension, she just glides over bumps ! For such a heavy bike I'm shocked how planted and agile it is compared to my FJR, my only issue is I'm not sure what to call her!

I've got a couple of small niggles I'd like to ask, firstly, when backing off the throttle there seems to be a point where the power just falls off a cliff and makes the bike unsettled - Is this normal? I'm getting more used to it and I've heard riding in Road mode helps. However it can be a little disconcerting at times. I've also noticed that in the morning when the engine is still cold, the bike hunts when idling, the engine purrs beautifully but tends to go up and down a few hundred revs if that makes sense.

My final question is, I like to do big miles. I managed to grab this beauty for 9 grand with full service history with only 13,000 miles. Are these bikes built to handle decent mileage? I've opted for a years warranty from the dealer.

Anyway enough of all that, here is a pic of my new K16:

Cheers all!
Welcome Steve,
I had a 2012 GT and had a couple of things sorted under warranty (switches and water pump) so hopefully your 2012 had these sorted as a lot of bikes did back then. It may be worth you asking for a printout of what updates/issues your bike has had when you next take it to the dealer for a service.
I can’t recall the issues you mention but I moved from a 2012 to a 2014 and then onto a 2017 and each time the bike has got better with extra features (see my signature)
You can search the forum by using the advanced search and search for ‘2012 issues’ - it May bring up something about the issues you are having.
You need to make three posts before you can make use of all the features on this forum.
Regards
Andy

2017 GTSE Red Reverse gear, Gear Shift Assist Pro, Automatic Damping, Topbox with Brakelight
2014 GTSE White, Keyless Ride, Audio, Hill Start Control, LED Fog Lights
2012 GTSE White, improved switches
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-11-2019, 08:33 AM

Garage
Welcome along - enjoy your new ride.

Problem areas back in 2012, were several QC issues, all of which the mothership has pretty well sorted out by now, albeit a tad slowly at times. Hence the suggestion by Andy that you get your local dealer to run up a print of precisely what work has been undertaken, both under warranty/goodwill & during service.

Several issues were exposed by early adopters, most/all of which will have been sorted on your bike by now, including: -

Switch gear - both left & right suffered failed encapsulation/water ingress, which wasn't funny if the kill switch acted up.
Coolant pump - some weeped excessively & created coolant splatter as witness on the pipes.
Suspension Units - Front & rear damper failures were not uncommon.
Gearbox - Always a pretty clunky affair, but some suffered extreme lash in the transmission, which often meant a replacement gear cluster; hopefully under warranty as these didn't come cheap. 2014 saw improvements.
Piston Ringlands - several reports of piston failures detailed on the forum. Very unpredictable, possibly pre-ignition.
Corrosion - several mentions of engines being replaced due to excessive corrosion.
Coil Sticks - some failures, often on either No1 or 6 that are more exposed.
Cooling - some riders have experienced the red warning rather more often than they would wish. Sometimes it was the techs failing to burp the system at a coolant change, sometimes a dirty rad (lower third), sometimes it was just the bike expressing it's dislike of conditions, say slow mountain pass rides with little airflow. Cooling is a tad marginal given the engine design, rad size & single fan, so keep the rad scrupulously clean & maybe use a fender extender.

Otherwise, apart from eating the odd tyre, I think it important to maintain a decent warranty for at least a couple more years if possible. Parts/labour costs can get eye-watering, unless you are very handy with the spanners.

Looking at your questions, the throttle is something you need to just accommodate. It's an FBW system that can be a tad difficult to ride around at first. However, do make sure the cables are adjusted correctly. As for mileage, that's no problem, subject to strict maintenance of the service regime. I always like to check this out, particularly on low mileage bikes, just in case the regimes have been shall we say abbreviated - unlikely if you have a BMW used bike warranty running, as the franchised dealers tend to pass any questionable bikes into the trade. BTW, make sure you understand oil level checking - it is easy to overfill if not done correctly.

Have fun & run a few searches around the forum if you still have any areas of concern.
J-Luv likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-11-2019, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the warm welcome guys and all of the info, very informative, if a little scary what can go wrong with these bikes! :/
post #6 of 7 Old 09-11-2019, 03:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR_Steve View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome guys and all of the info, very informative, if a little scary what can go wrong with these bikes! :/
Well you did ask; it's a big & complex machine. But panic not - all these issues tend to be historic QC problems that may, or may not, have troubled the previous owner/s, but should have been addressed years back if they ever emerged.

Anyway, that is the whole point of getting a detailed understanding of the history from your local BMW franchise dealer. I suggest you do this soonest, just to settle your mind.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-11-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Cheers mate will do - In the service history I've noticed the switch gear has been replaced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page