Running a SS1k tonight through tomorrow. - Page 2 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 30 Old 07-08-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelhobbes View Post
Good luck to you! The times on your route look like they allow a nap along the way. I was able to do that on mine and it makes a huge difference. Have a great and SAFE ride!
I'm sorry the helmet took away your focus. You did the right thing by reevaluating your plan..The ride will always be there.

I had planned to do the same, on my SS1000, take a nap about 3/4 of the way and had a really nice covered, remote park bench picked out. After securing my bike, I stretched out on a bench, called my wife to say I was OK and while still on the phone, a body surrounding swarm of flying insects tried to eat me alive ! Maybe that's why the remote bench was unoccupied. That gave me all of the adrenaline I needed to finish. So much for a needed nap !

BTW, For me, it's the extra large Schuberth. Every other helmet, a large is the right size. They must measure them smaller.

2012 Grey K1600GTL
Tampa, Florida
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 Old 07-08-2019, 08:30 AM

Garage
What is it about the helmet that bothers you? Sorry to bring up a sore subject but can't help but be curious.

2012 BMW K1600GTL
post #13 of 30 Old 07-08-2019, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
For me, it is two pressure points juxtaposed to each other. The peak of my Occipital bone at the base of my skull seems to be dense enough for horns, and the peak of my frontal bone is well-formed for echolocation. Between these two I get a continuous push.

Another member here pointed out to me that the wind may play a factor. He rightly stated that a screen lowered to allow air flow may be enough to push on the offending sonar dome.

And to be truthful it could be me. When I got off the bike I had a noticeable headache but otherwise felt great. I wonder if my headache is a condition of muscle memory of sorts; I've been dealing with this my whole riding life. I do need a modular to be sure, but the Nexx leave no imprints as my older helmets always do.

I am getting right back on in a couple of days and this time think through the factors which cause my headaches. What happens I think is that my resolve becomes softened because of my triggers; the helmet remains the last one. I have corrected all the others.

As is my (good engineering) habit, I also play both sides of the argument in my head. Why does one want to ride a thousand miles in a day or eleven thousand in eleven days? Why do I want to ride so much?

On a ride, I make decisions at a frantic pace, more so when I am feeling spirited. I suffer from a mind always too busy to calm down and, for some reason, going fast and leaning in is very calming to me. The more technical the ride, the more I feel refreshed - within reason as the weather does affect me too.

I judge the "goodness" of my ride base on its technical merit; "Put-puts" down meandering roads or saddle time on an interstate have little value to me - except to get me to the real roads.

I just want to ride all the time. I want to master the technical merits of this sport more than I want to do my own work. I may have a motorcycle problem.
PLAGUE likes this.

Last edited by djfalkenstein; 07-09-2019 at 09:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 30 Old 07-08-2019, 01:33 PM

Garage
What he said x 2 = word for word @PLAGUE

There is thy gold, worse poison to men's souls,
Doing more murders in this loathsome world,
Than these poor compounds that thou mayst not sell.
I sell thee poison; thou hast sold me none.
post #15 of 30 Old 07-08-2019, 02:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfalkenstein View Post
For me, it is two pressure points juxtaposed to each other. The peak of my Occipital bone at the base of my skull seems to be dense enough for horns, and the peak of my frontal bone is well-formed for echolocation. Between these two I get a continuous push.

Another member here pointed out to me that the wind may play a factor. He rightly stated that a screen lowered to allow air flow may be enough to push on the offending sonar dome.

And to be truthful it could be me. When I got off the bike I had a noticeable headache but otherwise felt great. I wonder if my headache is a condition of muscle memory of sorts; I've been dealing with this my whole riding life. I do need a modular to be sure, but the Nexx leave no imprints as my older helmets always do.

I am getting right back on in a couple of days and this time think through the factors which cause my headaches. What happens I think is that my resolve becomes softened because of my triggers; the helmet remains the last one. I have corrected all the others.

As is my (good engineering) habit, I also play both sides of the argument in my head. Why does one want to ride a thousand miles in a day or eleven thousand in eleven days? Why do I want to ride so much?

On a ride, I make decisions at a frantic pace, more so when I am feeling spirited. I suffer from a mind always too busy to calm down and, for some reason, going fast and leaning in is very calming to me. The more technical the ride, the more I feel refreshed - within reason as the weather does affect me too.

I judge the "goodness" of my ride base on its technical merit; "Put-puts" down meandering roads or saddle time on an interstate have little value to me - except to get me to the real roads. My beloved and I differ significantly on purpose as I find more value in the next carve then I do in the next highly-rated restaurant or store.

I just want to ride all the time. I want to master the technical merits of this sport more than I want to do my own work. I may have a motorcycle problem.

The skull is a pretty rigid structure. Your headache must be the byproduct of more than just pressure, especially as it relates to the areas you describe. I would suspect some other factor at work, like a blood flow restriction, lack of hydration, and even your mood. Do you ride with earplugs? How is your vision? Do you listen to music? Simple experiments could allow you to separate comfort issues from the longer term effects. Have you worn the helmet for an extended period of time off of the bike?

Basics; You know all of this but for the purpose of trying to 'think out loud'.. Helmet shells are limited in the number of sizes and fixed in shape. The largest size helmet shell of the right shape would be a good place to start. Forget noise attenuation,wind, etc.. Focus on pure fit. The difference between different sizes in helmets comes down to the comfort padding. The suspension, cheek pads, etc.. You might for instance get away with the suspension from an XXL (if they are different) and the cheekpads from a smaller size. In my Schuberth I switched cheekpads to get up a size (XL-XXL) because I have a broad face but otherwise oval head shape. Similarly the suggestion to dent/deform the inner padding might have some merit, as would taking the inner comfort liner to a seamstress for modification (thinner but stiffer padding, etc). In the world of tradeoffs here I don't think you would be giving up much in the way of protection as most of the protection comes from the shell itself and the the inner foam. The comfort layer is the shim between your head and the manufactured size(s). Anyhow, hope you find a solution.

2012 BMW K1600GTL
post #16 of 30 Old 07-09-2019, 04:17 AM

JMHO but if you're going to be riding long hours the last thing you want is a really comfortable helmet. Why? Because it'll put you to sleep. Despite the critter danger, I love riding at night and often ride past midnight before I stop at a motel or campground. Arai Quantums have always worked well for me but there are times that late at night where a really comfortable helmet is your enemy. I used to ride with both a full face and a puddin bowl and whenever I got tired I'd switch to the puddin bowl helmet because the fresh air really helps keep you awake.

Obviously a wearing any uncomfortable helmet is dumb and painful but wearing a really comfortable helmet has its own dangers.

YMMV.
PLAGUE likes this.

Loud pipes save egos.
2014 K1600GT Sport
IBA 17739
Also own: 5 K75s, a K100, a K1 & 2 K1100s, WR250R
post #17 of 30 Old 07-09-2019, 04:34 AM

Garage
Hi DJ,

I feel your pain, you just want to ride and can't because of an annoying pain. I have a big head (no comments please ) and have never found a helmet that really fits. Shoei, HJC and now finally a BMW Sytem7 Carbon size 64-65. It's taken a while and several hundred dollars but I think the BMW helmet is the one for me. The Full Face part of the helmet is easily removed and this is how I ride most of the time. Reduced protection aside, without the face portion, the helmet is incredibly light. After 10,000 miles breaking it in, it now fits comfortably, allowing 1,000 mile 18hr rides in one go.

I've also had the BMW comms system fitted. Far superior to the Sena Evo I had on my HJC, at least for me. But even this caused discomfort. The bracket for the mic protruded from the helmet liner and caused severe pain after an hour or so. Finally my very good dealer took a day or so to fettle the fitting of the mic into a different position. Now there is no pain.

Headache wise, since I changed out my stock screen for an XXL Extra Wide CalSci headaches have disappeared. I've put this down to a lack of head buffeting turbulence and noise from the CalSci. I sit very tall on an RDL, 2" higher than a BMW extra high seat and am 6'5".

All this being said I still occasionally get a helmet pain spot. There's no pattern to it, for instance I rode from London to Graz in one day, 1,600kms and was comfortable all the way. Then rode 200kms a few days later and got a pain spot. Removing the helmet having a scratch and going again often solves the issue. No idea why.

In a few days I'm off to the northern tip of Norway, planning a 1.600+km leg to complete the Iron Butt SS1600kms. Hopefully all will go well across the Autobahns of Germany etc. In the meantime good luck with the helmet hunt.

Safe riding and have fun,

Tony

2018 BMW K1600GTL

Last edited by afhorsley; 07-09-2019 at 04:41 AM.
post #18 of 30 Old 07-09-2019, 02:39 PM

If you haven't passed it yet, make sure you do lunch in Skaneateles.

Also, on the west part of your route, checkout Letchworth State Park. The waterfalls there are hardly known to the masses, and are quite an amazing site.

Never cross a "bridge", without checkin' out the view! - me

Life is too short to drive an ugly car. -me
post #19 of 30 Old 07-09-2019, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthling View Post
The skull is a pretty rigid structure. Your headache must be the byproduct of more than just pressure, especially as it relates to the areas you describe. I would suspect some other factor at work, like a blood flow restriction, lack of hydration, and even your mood. Do you ride with earplugs? How is your vision?...
Thank you, Brother,
I think they are tension headaches really. I get them at night and under stress too. The more I think about it the more I think I am tripping my own triggers.

To desensitize myself I have elected to don an old helmet and hit myself with a mallet until I no longer think about it.
post #20 of 30 Old 07-09-2019, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, to close out this drama, the Schuberth is a bad fit so I have a refresh of my Nexx XR2. Sucks, but at least I ride. I did have to tune this helmet with a Dremel tool. Now I ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page