Running a SS1k tonight through tomorrow. - Page 3 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 Old 07-09-2019, 11:09 PM

Garage
Good luck and enjoy !! I did an SS1000 last month from NY TO Miami was easy cause is a straight line , but was fun and o had time to sleep as well

Enjoy a lot

Try Durian fruit , thank me later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 Old 07-10-2019, 07:18 PM

Helmet issue aside, one thing Iíd recommend is carrying something sour to eat with you in case you get sleepy while riding. I read this on the IBA site many moons ago and for some reason it does work to wake you up if you start to get sleepy while riding. Of course it is not substitute for actual sleep when you need it but it will help to keep you awake until the next convenient place to stop and assess your condition.

I donít do certified IBA rides anymore because after Iíd done a BBG and 50CC I didnít feel the need to get any more IBA certs but I still ride long very days just for the heck of it and always carry either some Lemonheads or sour gummi worms in my tank bag in case I get sleepy.

In fact, just a couple of months ago I started to get sleepy around noon after eating way too huge of a breakfast so I pulled over and ate something sour. Sure enough it woke me right up and I was good for the rest of the day.
J-Luv and PLAGUE like this.

Loud pipes save egos.

2014 K1600GT
Also own: 5 K75s, a K100, a K1 & 3 K1100s, WR250R
post #23 of 30 Old 07-10-2019, 09:34 PM

Garage
As I mentioned in an earlier post "I think" the best way to do a short run of 1,000 miles is to leave early in the morning so that you finish at a normal bed time hour that evening. That way you stay within your normal sleep cycle. You can and do get sleepy mid day but a quick energy drink, Snickers bar or soda will usually snap you out of that.
My Dad always carried a bag of lemon drops when driving on our family vacations. I always thought he just liked to have candy during the day so I don't know whether he knew the benefits of it keeping him alert or not. I'm going to try that on my next putt..

2016 Glacier Silver/matte blue vinyl wrap GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
2004 Red Corvette
2005 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 30 Old 07-10-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Funny, my Dad carried a bag of Percocet.

I take your meaning though - about keeping alert on long rides. For me, a cup of coffee and then a twenty-minute nap does wonders. If that doesn't work I sing show tune at the top of my lungs in the parking lot.
PLAGUE likes this.

Last edited by djfalkenstein; 07-10-2019 at 09:46 PM.
post #25 of 30 Old 07-11-2019, 07:26 AM

My wife suffered with the same helmet issue; too much pressure on her forehead. Couple of years ago I got her to try on an Arai Quantum helmet, problem solved. Happy wife, happy life.

Duane

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
post #26 of 30 Old 07-11-2019, 08:50 AM

Garage
What particular show tunes are your go to tunes? The ones that instantly come belting out of your mind sir? Just curious.

There is thy gold, worse poison to men's souls,
Doing more murders in this loathsome world,
Than these poor compounds that thou mayst not sell.
I sell thee poison; thou hast sold me none.
post #27 of 30 Old 07-11-2019, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Remember "Anger Management"? I feel pretty.
post #28 of 30 Old 07-11-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdw View Post
Arai Signet X.
I have a massive Long Oblong head. This is the first helmet that did NOT give me that pain right there... XXL and I had to get new cheek pads (cyclegrear was the only place that would swap them with another helmet FREE. Apparently the pads on smaller helmets are larger so that makes them "smaller" when in reality they are not. Either way it worked. BUT...... They only had black and MAN its hot.
post #29 of 30 Old 07-11-2019, 10:47 PM

Sounds to me like your experiencing hot spots on your forehead due to an ill fitting helmet. Certain manufacturers make certain shape helmets, ie, round, oval, intermediate oval, round oval etc. I got lucky, and my schuberth E1 is made for an intermediate oval, which is my head shape. Maybe look into getting fitted by one of the helmet manufacturer reps at a rally or bike show, they are usually at these event
I do a fair amount of IBA rides, mostly BBG's (Bun burner gold-1500+ miles in less than 24 hrs). In fact I'm headed out on one tomorrow night, western ma to grand island Nebraska. I keep sour chews in my tank bag as stated above and every once in a while pop one in my mouth while riding. IBA rides are all setup to be done safely and legally within the time limit without speeding. I wont advertise my speeds, but usually finish a BBG around 21-22 hours. From what I've learned from the IBA rides and from a lot of my IBA friends is to minimize your time spent at stops(around 10 minutes) and avoid caffeine as its a diuretic that makes you have to urinate a lot. Your average speed for a successful ss1k can be as low as 42.5mph to complete it at 24hrs, 62.5mph for a BBG at 24hrs. Basically the trick is to keep the wheels spinning. If you gotta stop for break, do it, before its too late! Plan your ride and ride your plan!!

If ya ever need a witness, I'll gladly meet you anywhere in the northeast to sign it for ya. Always cool to put a name to face, and **** I'll go burn up the road with you on my GT!
post #30 of 30 Old 07-13-2019, 08:02 PM

Garage
Ask Help Desk Andy...he can probably help

Paul
1984 Honda V65 Magna
1985 BMW K100RT
2011 BMW K1600GTL - gone
2018 BMW K1600GTL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page