Annual New England ride - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-29-2019, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Annual New England ride

I grew up in Western Massachusetts and have spent a good deal of time in all the New England states but my wife hasn't. We pick one state each year to go tour on the bike, this year it's Maine.
We'll be leaving Friday for a 4 day trip, it's 666miles from our house to Acadia National Park but we're staying in Old Orchard Beach. The wife wants to see the Acadia National Park area so I've mapped out a nice ride up there from OOB and back for the day on Saturday. One the way up, I want to stop at Kittery and then Wells beach and Kennebunk for a fat lobster roll at the Clam Shack.
I'm not big on tourist traps so once we get past those spots on day 1, I'm all about cruising the middle of the state away from the coast and tourists.
At this point, the weather looks good!
Looking forward to a fun ride
Gunnert and GTLen like this.

A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood. George S. Patton
2014 K16GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-29-2019, 05:41 PM

Garage
Ironic. That is where we are right now. Sorry, lobster is all gone.
Jonnybow likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-29-2019, 06:39 PM

Have fun. My wife is from Nova Scotia. She grew up camping annually at Old Orchard Beach.

Duane
Jonnybow likes this.

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-30-2019, 10:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnert View Post
Have fun. My wife is from Nova Scotia. She grew up camping annually at Old Orchard Beach.

Duane
A Virginian and a Canadian. I want to come to your Thanksgiving dinner.
Gunnert likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-30-2019, 11:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfalkenstein View Post
Ironic. That is where we are right now. Sorry, lobster is all gone.
Ok, the after-action report: if you have not been to Bar Harbor, you should go. It is a jewel of a town and the surrounding roads and views are fantastic. I lost my job a week ago and I wanted to destress a bit with my Queen, so I surprised her with very nice accommodations at the Balance Rock Inn. She was very happy with me.

Bar Harbor is a nice town, but honestly, towns are not my thing. Towns are what I do to ride in between without flack.

If you enjoy a dog-friendly walking town with copious shopping (yuck) and more restaurants than you can patron in a week, wrapped in the serene beauty of the Narrows around which everyone from kayakers to ocean liners gawks, Bar Harbor rocks.

As a highlight, I did see a Shelby Cobra, my dream car. And, as I said, my wife was pleased with me, so all-in-all a great spend of money I don't have.
Jonnybow likes this.

Last edited by djfalkenstein; 07-30-2019 at 11:08 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-31-2019, 07:46 AM

Garage
Just returned from a trip to Belfast Maine. Not sure what path your going to take but I can confirm Rt 3 from Augusta to Belfast is 47 miles of smooth Maine state highway, 1/2 of it was just paved. Needed to get up there quicker so I took the Maine State TP up to Augusta from Mass. My 2 cents is that is the best TP in the country, great surface, not crazy traffic but its wide open cut on the sides allow for a good view of anything on 4 legs. I suppose it's to see the Moose creeping out from the trees. Truly awesome highway.

I do know Rt 202 is a nice way getting up there without touching the pike.

Enjoy it, GREAT weather coming. Nice break from the heat up there as well so bring something warm for night. Coastal Maine at night is refreshing !!!
Jonnybow likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-31-2019, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Really looking forward to the trip. Yep, Bar Harbor is where Acadia National Park is and the route around there on Rt3 should be a great ride, that's the plan.

2014 K16GT
post #8 of 11 Old 07-31-2019, 09:41 PM

Looks like your route around the Island skips the summit.
It is a real busy place this time of year but if you head out early enough you can avoid the hoard.
The loop road to the summit is worth the ride.

I usually ride Acadia on a weekday early June or late September.

The downtown is great for people watching. Bar Harbor had something like cruise ships last year.

So most days a few thousand extra folks arrive. Quite a scene.
Jonnybow likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-01-2019, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I'll have to find the summit part of the ride, thanks for the heads up JMac

2014 K16GT
post #10 of 11 Old 08-07-2019, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
We had a great ride last weekend, totaled 1600 miles and no issues other than some traffic on the way up. The weather was perfect, the roads were in excellent shape and the bike was flawless.
Meandered our way up the coast on Saturday doing touristy things, stopped in Kennebunk and had a lobster roll at The Clam Shack. Then headed up Rt1 seeing the sights up to Scarborough and had dinner at a Mexican joint, was pretty good considering I didn't see any Mexicans. Headed to our airbnb in Old Orchard Beach to get a nap then Sunday we headed up to Acadia National Park. The ride up there was great, pavement was perfect and traffic wasn't heavy at all. We spent some time seeing the sights and once we got to the park, the views were amazing. Looking down on the harbor, you can see a cruise ship as well as other boats and yachts, very picturesque. Riding in the park was fun, roads are well cared for although speed limit is pretty slow around the loop. We did take some time to get pictures and enjoy some of the sights. We spent the entire day up there riding around and enjoying the scenery. Headed back to OOB for another nap and ride home on Monday.

Gunnert and Kuzman like this.

2014 K16GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page