Alpinestars Tech Air - Purchased today. - Page 5 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 48 Old 10-10-2019, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

It is a shock to learn that we are fragile.

Adding an airbag is prudent, whichever airbag you choose to use.

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 48 Old 10-10-2019, 03:34 PM

Garage
I don't own either but was turned off by the fact that the alpine requires a recharge to reset the system. The Helite seemed more like squish, replace cartridge, and go. Of course all of that is just from reading the marketing material. Tether systems work well enough, I have had them in our race boat and on various jet skis, snowmobiles, etc.. they are very dependable and become second nature. Also there is the 'beats nothing' aspect of just using either system.

2012 BMW K1600GTL
post #43 of 48 Old 10-10-2019, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

This last ride in the Sierras, one of our riders had an awkward bike drop which resulted in a soft fall and inflation of the Helite airbag. Tiny scratches to the RT and a rush by the other riders to upright the bike and unsnap the airbag from crushing the rider.

The Alpinestar computer determines whether the crash warrants inflation, and the type of inflation. For the race version, which only inflates one argon canister in a crash, the rep at the motorcycle show said bone breaks went to zero. The street version inflates both argon canisters in deployment. I suspect this is the case because the street version covers much more body area than the race version.

The Alpinestars system is heavy. Lift the jacket and you are getting a workout. Once on though, it weighs nothing.

After a crash:

Helite: Change out the single CO2 cartridge and you are good to go.
Alpinestars: Send the whole jacket to California to get updated software, new argon canisters, and complete checkout.

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 48 Old 10-10-2019, 06:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL Lemke View Post
After a crash:

Helite: Change out the single CO2 cartridge and you are good to go.
Alpinestars: Send the whole jacket to California to get updated software, new argon canisters, and complete checkout.
To be clear, I am NOT arguing in any way that the Helite is "superior" to the A-stars system in terms of efficacy or protection, but the above, alone, was all I needed to hear to go Helite. I fully expect someone to develop a system in the future which is better than either alternative at present, but for now, I'll live with the old tether system.

Some days in the summer, though, I just can't hack the heat of having that solid thing on me, on top of everything else.
Harleymarlboroman likes this.

Joey

2019 K1600GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic, Brown Seat, Forged Wheels
2006 K1200S
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
post #45 of 48 Old 10-11-2019, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Here is how the Alpinestars jacket works.

The yellow C shape has another matching one on the other side of the jacket. When you zip the jacket closed, align the two yellow Cs on top of each other and the system is turned on.

Lights on the left sleeve flash in patters indicating the diagnostic and then goes to steady green as the system is in standby. Once riding the green light switches to flashing as the computer sees riding movement and the system is armed.

Certainly more complicated than connecting a tether from the Helite vest to the bike. Certainly better looking.
dobervol likes this.

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
post #46 of 48 Old 10-11-2019, 09:05 AM

Helite V2 is has been available for awhile now. Admittedly, Im not familiar with it...yet.
post #47 of 48 Old 10-11-2019, 10:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc250r View Post
Helite V2 is has been available for awhile now. Admittedly, Im not familiar with it...yet.

From what I can tell the changes are not related to how it deploys or what areas it covers. Looks like they hid the cylinder, added a pocket and increased visibility on the back.

2013 Graphite GTL
PDM60
Amber Running Lights
Schroedie roundels
post #48 of 48 Old 10-11-2019, 10:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL Lemke View Post
Here is how the Alpinestars jacket works.

The yellow C shape has another matching one on the other side of the jacket. When you zip the jacket closed, align the two yellow Cs on top of each other and the system is turned on.

Lights on the left sleeve flash in patters indicating the diagnostic and then goes to steady green as the system is in standby. Once riding the green light switches to flashing as the computer sees riding movement and the system is armed.

Certainly more complicated than connecting a tether from the Helite vest to the bike. Certainly better looking.
To be fair, if all I wanted was better looking, Id have gotten a Ducati, not a BMW.

Joey

2019 K1600GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic, Brown Seat, Forged Wheels
2006 K1200S
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page