Alpinestars Tech Air - Purchased today. - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 Old 01-06-2019, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Alpinestars Tech Air - Purchased today.

Learned the hard way that I'm not indestructible. Alpinestars has countless race crash data captures which prove that there is a 96% reduction in impact forces with their Tech Air system. Bottom of helmet to waist protection, including the entire spine. This one is for street use, as they are developing their off-road version right now in the 2019 Dakar.

I will continue to use my Helite for off-road riding.

Spent nearly an hour talking with the Alpinestars company employees about the system. I now have a high level of confidence that this is the best protection available.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Var..._3735-1920.mp4

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Var..._3735-1280.mp4

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 01-06-2019, 03:50 PM

I firmly believe this is the future in safety. I wear my Hit-Air vest every ride and when the prices as well as selection of gear with built in airbags expands I'll upgrade.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #3 of 48 Old 01-06-2019, 08:09 PM

Garage
I started wearing a Helite Turtle Airbag vest over my Aerostich Roadcrafter suit after awarding myself the vest as a Christmas present.

No problem in cool air, we'll have to see if I can wear it in the Texas heat!
charlie3133 likes this.

Andy
2015 K1600GTS (aka KBiK)
ALTRider Engine Guard and Illium Rear Tip-Over Bars. Adaptiv TPX Radar Detector and SPOT Gen 3
TopSpeed LED high beam bulbs, Clearwater Ericas and Darlas, Billie Brake Light with CANopener 4. Skene P3 Rear Brake Lights and Photon Blaster Turn signals with PDM60. Sargent Seat.
Scuberth C4 Pro, Helite vest with Hi-Viz, Aerostich Roadcrafter Lite suit

2012 Yamaha Supere Tenere (Traded for GT)
2005 Honda ST1300A (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 Old 01-06-2019, 08:38 PM

Are those motorcycle show prices? Better than Revzilla ($550 for the jacket, $1150 for the vest) even before the promo discount.

'18 GTL ebony metallic
added: Altrider engine bars, Ilium rear bars, Clearwater Darla and Billie brake lights
post #5 of 48 Old 01-07-2019, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL Lemke View Post
Learned the hard way that I'm not indestructible. Alpinestars has countless race crash data captures which prove that there is a 96% reduction in impact forces with their Tech Air system. Bottom of helmet to waist protection, including the entire spine. This one is for street use, as they are developing their off-road version right now in the 2019 Dakar.

I will continue to use my Helite for off-road riding.

Spent nearly an hour talking with the Alpinestars company employees about the system. I now have a high level of confidence that this is the best protection available.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Var..._3735-1920.mp4

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Var..._3735-1280.mp4
I have one and its your fault I have it. You may recall around a year ago you put up a post about this stuff. I showed your post to my wife, with a bit of a laugh and that was that (I thought).

A few days later, I was told to order one and got it in March last year.

I have the BMW version (which is the same, only its inside a BMW jacket).

What I have learned:

1. My dealer did not have a clue, they handed it to me I paid and left.
2. Shortly after starting to use it, it developed a fault, it would not arm itself properly, the problem was intermittent, but when riding the status light on the left arm would turn red.
3. In September, I did a 10 day trip to Europe and it worked about 50% of the time, so I complained to the dealer and Alpinestars.
4. I learned that I had to have an account on Alpinestars, plug the vest into my computer for diagnostics.
5. My dealer did not know this and had to go around in lots of circles before they could register the vest as something I had purchased. This took about a month.
6. Eventually an account was setup and I was able to register the vest and it showed over 41 failures due to a arm sensor.
7. I sent the file to my dealer, who went around in larger circles trying to get the vest replaced, eventually, a new vest arrived at the dealers.
8. When I arrived at the dealer we plugged in the new vest and it all looked ok, then we had a look at the connections between the jacket and the vest and one connection looked frayed.
9. 5 seconds later the connector separated from the wire.
10. I was offered a replacement jacket there and then and took the one off the display.
11. I now have new vest and jacket to try this year, hopefully it will be OK.

Good luck RL, hope you never need it.

David
PLAGUE likes this.
post #6 of 48 Old 01-07-2019, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcharlie View Post
Are those motorcycle show prices? Better than Revzilla ($550 for the jacket, $1150 for the vest) even before the promo discount.
Yes, Alpinestars booth was next to Cycle Gear. They had a deal, so I made the purchase. 100% refund if things aren't as described when it arrives.

All warranty is done at Alpinestars corporate, which I think is in California.

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
post #7 of 48 Old 01-07-2019, 08:37 AM

RL, did you learn what must be done to restore the jacket after a deployment?

It would be interesting to learn about the algorithm used for deployment. I'm curious how it would perform in my off-road riding for the minor little drops and get-offs. For example, I've dropped the bike in deep sand where I didn't step off before I was on the ground. I'm guessing it might deploy in that circumstance where the dirt nap is pretty benign and the air bag not needed. But I'm also guessing if I'd had this thing on a couple of years ago that it would have saved my three shattered ribs and collapsed lung. On that one I took flight high side and landed about 15' from the bike.

I'm intrigued enough to look in to this more but I'm going to guess that I might be a candidate for more frequent deployments of the system - hence my question about resetting it for the next use. There's a cool video on the Alpinestars web page for the system:

https://www.alpinestars.com/tech-air...-airbag-system

'12 K1600GT (gone but not forgotten)
'13 S1000RR (sold it to Allstate)
'14 KLR 650 New Edition (gone and thanks for the memories)
'16 R1200GS Triple Black (for all of it)
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290 R (for the inner hooligan in me)
'18 WR250R (for all of it...but slower)
post #8 of 48 Old 01-07-2019, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Alpinestar is developing the system for off-road use right now in the 2019 Dakar. The one I purchased is for street use.

Street algorithms provide for low-side, high-side, rear-end, type street crashes, with full 2-canister inflation before impact. Small bike drops will not trigger inflation. There must be a certain rotation, acceleration/deceleration, etc... for inflation. So, little stuff = No inflation. Remember, there are years of experience with racing and Euro use. Small wonder why airbags are now a race requirement.

Race provides for low-side and high-side single canister inflation, which allows a reserve 2nd use.

The off-road systems will be smaller. They indicated MX first.

All warranty and renewal is done at the Alpinestar company, for US customers.

For dirt riding I will use my chest protector, which is perfect for my low speed rock garden and trail riding.

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
post #9 of 48 Old 01-07-2019, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

The Helite/HitAir systems, with replaceable canisters, may be better for adventure riding? The problem is the deployment in small get-offs. I dropped my Ducati in a slimy mud hole and the airbag deployed. Completely unnecessary. Then, I had the front wheel and boot slide out on a slime covered rock creek crossing, allowing me to fall hard on solid rock. A place the airbag might have helped, but it was without air from the previous deployment. A full coverage chest protector would have been far smarter.

There are no perfect all-use answers for adventure riding yet.

There is a very good answer for street rides, or track racing.

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
post #10 of 48 Old 01-07-2019, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

There are differences in coverage between the airbag systems.

Alpinestar decided to go with this coverage. No broken collar bones since using this on the track.

PLAGUE likes this.

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page