Klim Hardanger First Impressions - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 04-13-2019, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Klim Hardanger First Impressions

I now have my first one-piece suit; a Klim Hardanger (XXL). I am the kind of person who thinks things through (ad nauseam) before executing a decision. In this case, I have debated the relative merits of a "slip on" versus my 12-year-old Rev'It multi-component suit (worn daily but never used). Most of my mileage today is into and out of Boston commuting; around 160 miles round trip. The remainder is the occasional trip I get to fit in; my shake-down trip to DC is one example. Net-net, a one-piece suit was repeatedly the best solution when weighing all of my needs.

I decided on the Klim Hardanger over the Aerostich and Motoport as my first foray into a onesie; primarily because of the chance of a good fit off the rack was on-par with the Aerostich, but the Klim materials and style was a bit of an update. I also felt a custom Motoport was the nuclear option which, while worth the money, was not equally incentivized monetarily (I got a military discount thanks to Duane).

The Suit: There are a number of accurate references and reviews on the Web about this suit's fit and finish. I will say the construction is solid. Now I am not yet used to the newer style of a bonded over-shell versus my Rev'It's layered system. Initially, I thought the suit weighed more, but when I considered the equivalent functional pieces of the Rev'It, there is much less weight with the Hardanger. When on your body the weight disappears. However, a new suit does feel "stiff-ish".

I wonder if the Hardanger can be "softened" with a pair of old sneakers and a dryer as recommended for the Aerostich?

I ended up needing the XXL; not because of the chest or waist sizes, but for arm length and neck. So my suit does have a sight extra center. I also opted for the regular length because of the pant-length when my knees are bent.

My most critical measure was the touchdown yell; does my voice go up when I raise my arms vertically (the dreaded taint lift)? The XXL was just enough.

The truth is this suit together with a Warn N' Safe liner is more than enough to comfortably ride down to my lower limit of 35 F. I feel much more comfort across the back and arms. I also feel no wind unless I want to. I am reducing my kit by several bulky items too.

All in all I am satisfied with the decision to go to a one-piece, and the Klim is a great choice.
Gunnert, pkpr1998, amorley and 4 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-13-2019, 10:49 AM

Garage
Pull it over a heated liner and you can comfortably navigate that 35 with balmy precision.

There is thy gold, worse poison to men's souls,
Doing more murders in this loathsome world,
Than these poor compounds that thou mayst not sell.
I sell thee poison; thou hast sold me none.
post #3 of 22 Old 04-13-2019, 02:05 PM

Garage
After about six months, wash the suit with NikWax Tech Wash. I have found this the best way to soften up Aerostich Roadcrafter suits.

Andy
2015 K1600GTS (aka KBiK)
ALTRider Engine Guard and Illium Rear Tip-Over Bars. Adaptiv TPX Radar Detector and SPOT Gen 3
TopSpeed LED high beam bulbs, Clearwater Ericas and Darlas, Billie Brake Light with CANopener 4. Skene P3 Rear Brake Lights and Photon Blaster Turn signals with PDM60. Sargent Seat.
Scuberth C4 Pro, Helite vest with Hi-Viz, Aerostich Roadcrafter Lite suit

2012 Yamaha Supere Tenere (Traded for GT)
2005 Honda ST1300A (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 04-14-2019, 08:28 PM

Garage
What's this military discount you speak of? Any other vendors have them that I don't know about?

Matt Clark
Bunnlevel, NC
'67 Triumph Bonneville, '72 BMW R75/5, '04 Triumph Bonneville, '05 Triumph Thruxton, '12 BMW K1600GTL
post #5 of 22 Old 04-14-2019, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyMutt View Post
What's this military discount you speak of? Any other vendors have them that I don't know about?
If you have a DD-214, start here: https://www.klim.com/vip-application-form
post #6 of 22 Old 04-14-2019, 09:53 PM

Garage
Cool, thanks.

Matt Clark
Bunnlevel, NC
'67 Triumph Bonneville, '72 BMW R75/5, '04 Triumph Bonneville, '05 Triumph Thruxton, '12 BMW K1600GTL
post #7 of 22 Old 04-14-2019, 09:56 PM

Garage
I rode in my new Hardanger through rain at 40 deg and dropping and then snow flurries at 32deg over about a 4 hour period this morning running from 2 hrs SE of StL up I64 and then I-70 west home to KC. I may have been the only bike on the road from 7a-11a on that stretch. No heated gear. Warm layers and those Moose handlebar mittens were great...first time using. I got chilled. Knew it would break about half way across MO and warm up. Suit performed well. Stayed dry. Comfortable riding 1500+miles in it this wknd. Stayed mostly warm. All dry. It is a tad stiff but donít notice that so much when riding; more when putting it on. Had a clogged main zipper one time. Not sure why it ran afoul with a flap of material run in it. Very pleased with it overall. I just need to figure out how to manage the top portion when stopped and cooling. Pockets and vents are numerous and handy. All the water coming up off the road and it looked clean once home. Canít compare it to any other one piece. Itís my first. Typically wear Olympia Air Glide 2 piece. I used its thermal liners under the Hardanger. 2 thumbs up!
Gunnert likes this.

James

Ď18 K16GT Option 719 Blue Planet Metallic with Saddle Brown Seat
IBA # 63673
Ď73? CB125S Torquoise (sold); Ď76 CR125 Elsinore Red (sold);
Ď83 CB1100F Red White & Black (in a shed); Ď83 CB1100F Blue White & Red (in a garage);
Ď14 FJR-ES Candy Red (sold)
post #8 of 22 Old 04-14-2019, 11:09 PM

"dreaded taint lift".....

2018 K1600GA
2019 HD Road Glide

2006 TW200 (the wife's)
post #9 of 22 Old 04-15-2019, 07:36 AM

I’m curious, which Rev’It gear/suit were you running before the Klim one-piece? I Was using an earlier version of Klim Latitude gear but the last generation (prior to the current generation) didn’t fit right so I switched to Rev’It.

Happy with Rev’It but now carrying a Rev’It rain suit to pull over my gear if I get into a downpour. I find the zip-in liner system uncomfortable and cumbersome to use. Something I really liked about Klim—no rain liner necessary.

I do like the close-fit of my Rev’it Gear, my older Latitude was rather loose fitting and I worried about armor moving around in a get-off. Going to have to try the Hardanger on to check that part of the fit for me.

Mike M
2016 R1200GS Triple Black
2016 K1600GT Black Storm

Last edited by Mike M; 04-15-2019 at 07:40 AM.
post #10 of 22 Old 04-15-2019, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Iím curious, which RevíIt gear/suit were you running before the Klim one-piece?
The now very-faded label reads GTX Defender. This would be circa 2006.
Mike M likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page