Need Arkansas advice - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 01-05-2020, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Need Arkansas advice

a buddy and I and maybe others are planning on an Arkansas / Ozarks trip this spring. Would like some advice on where to stay etc.

Thinking about last week of April - arrive on Monday the 27th, riding Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and then depart on Friday. I'm coming from Colorado, my buddy from Houston.

Thinking of staying in hotels but need to decide where - Eureka Springs or Harrison or Hot Springs

Should we stay all nights in one place or move say Wednesday night to a different location?

Are three days of riding enough?

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-05-2020, 08:09 PM

Garage
Last summer my 2 brothers and I along with 5 others did the same thing. We stayed in the Pinewood cabins in Mountain View for 4 nights. Did day rides every day although some of the guys went fishing one day. We then moved to Eureka Springs where we stayed in the Trails Inn for 3 more nights and did day rides out of there.

The cabins were great. They are set up for 2 people each so we had 4 of them which were all next to each other. They have full kitchens so we grabbed some food and cooked several meals, one of which was a fresh trout dinner thanks to the fisherman.

The Trails Inn is a biker friendly motel. There were a couple restaurants with in walking distance where we had good breakfasts and evening dinners.

My brother Kevin laid out all of the day rides and has them in a Basecamp gpx. file so I'm sure he would pass them on if you would like.

This was one of our best get togethers with great weather, fantastic roads to ride and relaxing evenings. We did the trip in mid May. There was rain forecast almost every day but it never did rain. The summer humidity hadn't kicked in yet either.

Coming from Colorado I would suggest checking out the Trails Inn in Eureka Springs https://www.thetrailsinn.com/ and plan on staying there every night. You don't want to waste time packing up and checking in to another motel in the middle of the trip. There is plenty of riding out of there to fill in your days. "Are 3 days of riding enough" NO but if that's all you have it will be a start and whet your appetite for another trip back in the future.
onad and J-Luv like this.

2016 Glacier Silver/matte blue vinyl wrap GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
2004 Red Corvette
2005 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler
1950 Chevy Pickup

Last edited by Arizona Jim; 01-05-2020 at 08:30 PM.
post #3 of 21 Old 01-05-2020, 09:08 PM

The post by Arizona_Jim was very accurate. In addition, look at the maps on https://www.exploreharrison.com/pages/motorcycling/ and Free Ozark Mountain Motorcycle Ride Maps - The #1 Motorcycle riding guide of the Ozarks provided free by CruiseTheOzarks.com. While Arkansas roads are not what Colorado has, they are supremely good for motorcyclists.
Morgan and J-Luv like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 01-05-2020, 09:58 PM

Point west resort just outside Eureka is a great hotel. It is right on beaver lake. Also you might look at the best Western. It has motorcycle secure parking and it's in the middle of town. I prefer point west myself because of the lake view.
post #5 of 21 Old 01-05-2020, 10:06 PM

I've used both Harrison and Eureka Springs as ground zero.
I much prefer Harrison. Easier access to some of the best riding roads in the area.
Eureka Springs is much too touristy for my liking. I stayed at the Edelweiss Inn when I was there.
In Harrison, I stayed at the Quality Inn. Very nice hotel with outside access so you can park your motorcycle outside of your room.
Jamie's is a very nice restaurant right next door. A varied menu and reasonable priced. I ate there for the three days I was there.
There is also a couple of cool spots for breakfast too. The Neighborhood Diner has great breakfast complete with snarky waitresses,
A great lunch stop in Mountain View is Mickey BBQ; recently voted the best BBQ in the state.
Another fun place for lunch is Oark General Store in Oark. Oldest store in Arkansas. Great burgers too.

The hotel will have a scenic roads map. Easy to follow.

My preference is to stay put and not move around.

Three days should be plenty.

If my personal plans settle down, you might see me there around that time.

Have fun.

Joe
onad and STRich like this.
post #6 of 21 Old 01-06-2020, 03:33 AM
Super Moderator

I prefer to stay in a little larger city, like Russellville because of the added lodging choices and restaurant options. Goldilocks, not too big but big enough.

https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw...ide-there.html
Pitts likes this.

RL
K1600GT #154
IBA# 37,282
post #7 of 21 Old 01-06-2020, 07:34 AM

Garage
Hotel Seville in Harrison. Its part of the Choice Hotel network. They have inside covered parking, a motorcycle wash station and a great bar restaurant for end of the ride recovery.
onad and STRich like this.
post #8 of 21 Old 01-06-2020, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all for the advice.
post #9 of 21 Old 01-13-2020, 04:18 PM

Eureka Springs is great with Harrison second. ES is a tourist town but at that time not much going on. Stay at Best Western, good location with a full hotel style buffet breakfast included. Fantastic breakfast. Very nice people at BW, tell Jed the manager that the Pie Riders sent you. You enjoy the roads in the area as much as Colorado. Roads are clean with very light traffic. My group went to Colorado in May for 16 yrs, but last two we went to Arkansas. Every loved it so did two years. Colorado is great but Arkansas will amaze you. Harrison is just a regular town but ok to stay at. You can ride for a week in NE Arkansas. Love it.
J-Luv likes this.
post #10 of 21 Old 01-13-2020, 04:22 PM

Go on line and get the Arkansas motorcycle guide. They highlight some of the best routes. Route AR 7 from Hot Springs to Harrison is fantastic. Bits just one of many.
Morgan and J-Luv like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page