Darn the luck! - Page 3 - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 Old 05-13-2019, 10:27 PM

I have heard first person accounts of a plugged tire suddenly going flat, but none that caused an accident - although it could easily have done so. If it never happens, dealerships and shops and insurance companies wouldn't be concerned about liability. Clearly, it's rarely a problem and if somebody wants to plug or patch their tires I think that's a valid choice. Personally, I think it's easily worth the cost of replacing the tire for my peace of mind. IMHO, there isn't a One True Way here.

'18 GTL ebony metallic
added: Altrider engine bars, Ilium rear bars, Clearwater Darla and Billie brake lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 Old 05-13-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route66in18 View Post
And, if a plug fails I suppose it will just start leaking air again and if you have a tire pressure display/ warning you'll be right back where you started. I guess that back in the day when tires were half the size and the treads were half as thick you might get a "blow out" and/or the tire unseating itself from the rim but I'm not hearing much talk of that kind of problem lately. I'd be really interested to hear from someone who had catastrophic tire failure and what they think was the cause, plug or otherwise.

It could be they aren't around to tell the story of their catastrophic tire failure. This is a subject that constantly comes around every few months and the same people have the same replies. As Dirty Harry asked, "Do you feel lucky?" If so, plug or patch away to your hearts content. The absolute truth of the matter is no one knows what was damaged in the tire carcass when it was penetrated by whatever the object was. Worse yet is the additional damage that is done to the tire when inserting plugging tools some of which are pretty aggressive tools at best. On a motorcycle you only have two tires to keep you from making that one way trip into Eternity. I learned long ago that tires are quite similar to protective gear but they lead a much more difficult life with lots of different forces acting on them. If your life isn't worth the price of a new tire than I certainly can't help you.

Food for thought, when I was still an active LEO we were ordered to never plug or patch a tire on our cruisers or motorcycles. None of the tire manufacturers we dealt with at the time authorized plugging or patching a tire. So as I said, if you want to go +120 mph on a plugged/patched tire go for it, but isn't your life worth the price of a new undamaged tire? Many here will argue the importance of wearing proper riding gear, but condone something like running around on a plugged damaged tire.....I don't get it. Is it the money involved in replacing a tire or do some of you just like tempting fate??? Ahhh it really doesn't matter much to me, but I don't like taking unnecessary chances and never have. Even if no one has had a recorded instance of a catastrophic tire failure with a patched or plugged tire I don't want to be the first recorded statistic.

Rick H.
Rebus likes this.
post #23 of 30 Old 05-16-2019, 01:07 PM

Anybody who goes 120 MPH, even in a car, much less a motorcycle, and pretends that safety is a top priority is lying. Heck, anybody who rides street and pretends safety is a top priority is lying. I choose to ride street (and wear good gear - Arai and Motoport) but I'm under no delusion that it's a particularly safe activity.

Of course a manufacturer won't condone repair and continued use of their product:

1) They have no control over what repair product is used, how it is used or who does it.

2) They'd just as soon sell you a new tire.

I've done internal patches twice. Both were middle of nowhere flats with no motorcycle shops around so my only option was internal patches at nearby auto shops. So I started carrying a Safety Seal kit and compressor and soon after I bought it I used it on a side of the freeway repair. In all three cases the tires were getting low on tread so I replaced them when convenient within a few hundred miles but riding on a repaired tire never caused me any concern.

I've only had a new tire go flat once but it was a big gash by a 1" long jagged piece of metal so replacing that tire was a no-brainer.

Last edited by Quack; 05-16-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 30 Old 05-16-2019, 01:19 PM

Garage
I put a brand set of tires on my bike and with only 4 miles of wear got a screw dead in the center and flat it went. Got it home, plugged the tire then put 6-8k highway miles on it without trouble. Plug and play...

Cheers!

Doug

Previous: Multiple Japanese (dirt and street), several HDs, 03' K1200GT, 09' K1300GT. Current: 2014 K1600 GT Sport, 2012 Husqvarna TE250 for beating up the bush!
post #25 of 30 Old 05-16-2019, 05:40 PM

Garage
Used to own a 1-Ton Nissan pickup. Its tires were pumped up to 50 psi. One day I encountered a piece of road debris that created a hole so large (it was as if someone actually drilled a hole) that it required TWO gummy worms folded over (so four strands of gummy worm) to span the hole. Even at 50 psi, those gummies held air right up until we dragged the truck to the wrecking yard. Who the hėll uses a timng BELT in the engine of a 1-Ton truck? Aparently Nissan does, that's who...

-Stephen! (The rider formerly known as smv)
--
There is NO need to tailgate me when I am doing 50 in a 35 zone... and those flashing lights on top of your car look ridiculous.
post #26 of 30 Old 05-16-2019, 06:36 PM

OK, I agree if you pick up a nail you should replace the tire. Next time someone has this happen and you're running Dunlop III with 1500 miles or less on the tire please PM me. I'll make a donation to UPS to have the tire shipped to my house.

Duane
TPadden likes this.

Duane: '12 K1600GT/WL EngineBars//Wilbers/VarioLevers/ cbdaneAmber /BajaDesigns LED/PDM60/Remus Headers/GPR Exhaust/BST Carbon Fiber Wheels
post #27 of 30 Old 05-16-2019, 06:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnert View Post
OK, I agree if you pick up a nail you should replace the tire. Next time someone has this happen and you're running Dunlop III with 1500 miles or less on the tire please PM me. I'll make a donation to UPS to have the tire shipped to my house.
Hahaha... Wish I'd thought of that. Good one!
Gunnert likes this.

-Stephen! (The rider formerly known as smv)
--
There is NO need to tailgate me when I am doing 50 in a 35 zone... and those flashing lights on top of your car look ridiculous.
post #28 of 30 Old 05-16-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnert View Post

Duane
If it happens to me, I'll put it up for grabs. Last time I got a flat, I offered up (on a R1200R forum) a practically new Metzeler Roadtec 01 free for cost of shipping and nobody took it.

'18 GTL ebony metallic
added: Altrider engine bars, Ilium rear bars, Clearwater Darla and Billie brake lights
post #29 of 30 Old 05-16-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
Anybody who goes 120 MPH, even in a car, much less a motorcycle, and pretends that safety is a top priority is lying. Heck, anybody who rides street and pretends safety is a top priority is lying. I choose to ride street (and wear good gear - Arai and Motoport) but I'm under no delusion that it's a particularly safe activity.

Of course a manufacturer won't condone repair and continued use of their product:

1) They have no control over what repair product is used, how it is used or who does it.

2) They'd just as soon sell you a new tire.

I ride a motorcycle on the street and I can say with complete honesty that I am very safety oriented. I'm not sure what you mean by "safety is a top priority", but I'm not lying about being safety conscious. Evidently, some are more safety conscious than others. If the cost of replacing a tire keeps me from entering that particular lottery for a Darwin award, I'm happy to pay it.

As for the other points, the same logic could be applied to automobile tire makers yet there is no controversy there as far as I can tell.

'18 GTL ebony metallic
post #30 of 30 Old 05-16-2019, 08:58 PM

Garage
Didn't read all the Posts but here is a link to a Plug I have taken to 180mph on more then 1 occasion on the track.

https://www.motosport.com/product/?a...segment=badger

The tire needs to be dismounted I had just installed 4 Michelin Cup 2 tires when I got a nail in the center.
I couldn't get a replacement and had a track even the next day. My tire guys all swear by it and I do now as well.

Ian

Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page