Suggestions for quick, cooler weather trip in AZ - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Arizona Jim

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2019, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Suggestions for quick, cooler weather trip in AZ

Brilliant minds of Phoenix metro - y'all have any suggestions for a quick overnight trip leaving out of PHX? I'm looking at leaving Saturday morning early and escaping somewhere with miles and miles of pleasant roads, retiring somewhere cool on Saturday night, and then trying to beat the heat coming back Sunday. I know one of you geniuses has cracked the code - SPILL!!

2018 K1600 GTL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2019, 06:31 PM

Garage
Can't help you much this weekend. It will be in the mid 80s in Flagstaff all weekend but then that might feel cool to you coming from the valley.

An early morning escape up the Bee line to Payson and then to Pine and Strawberry on 260. Up 87 and take the Lake Mary road into Flagstaff. Of course Flagstaff is a boring place but at least it has motels and restaurants.

Or a trip to Payson then over to Show Low on 260 for the night. Sunday work your way to Springerville / Eagar and pick up 191 and ride it down the Coronado Trail to Morenci. Sadly it will be a hot ride back to Phoenix from Morenci. 191 (old 666) is a premier motorcycle highway, 90 miles of curves and elevation changes. At the North end is Alpine which has 2 nice breakfast restaurants on Hwy 180 leading East out of town.

If you do this last one make sure you eat supper at the Cattleman's https://cattlemenssteakhouseshowlow.com/ they have bar none THE BEST prime rib anywhere and I mean anywhere.
PLAGUE likes this.

2016 Glacier Silver/matte blue vinyl wrap GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
2004 Red Corvette
2005 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler

Last edited by Arizona Jim; 07-11-2019 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I like the cut of your jib, Jim. I'm thinking something like this staying in Show Low overnight:

https://goo.gl/maps/fuAEWpkJgSihcXDB9

Looks like it gets pretty warm heading down through Safford, etc. I am also banking that my brother on his 84 Goldwing will not enjoy the twisties on 666 like I would

2018 K1600 GTL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2019, 07:44 PM

Skip Show Low and stay in Pinetop Lakeside. Stay at the GreenTree Inn. A very nice place to stay (A lot of motorcycle riders stay there) and the Pinetop Brewing Co is half a block away. Be advised when I was on it last month the 191 down to the copper mine has road colored gravel on it that's hard to see. You can ride it just be careful. fyi.. The cliff I went over last year with my GT was on the 191.

Rick
2012 K1600GT (smashed)
2015 K1600GT (went over a cliff)
2018 R1200GS

Last edited by Rick92040; 07-11-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in