Wanted : BMW pillion armrests (or good alternative) - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 12-27-2018, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Wanted : BMW pillion armrests (or good alternative)

Cross posted in UK Rider section.

If anyone has no need for their pillion armrests, please contact me with your offer for sale.

Or, are there any good alternatives to bmw armrests?

Thanks in advance.

UK biker since 1997, former RT owner (last 2 bikes) and loving the amazing K1600 GTLE, since Nov 2017.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 12-28-2018, 07:04 AM

Garage
You may well have read this thread already? .................

https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw...-armrests.html

The bikes fitted with passenger armrests have had cut-outs made to the plastics each side, so the armrest supporting frame could be fitted. They are not QD, at least in OE form, so I can't honestly see many riders wanting to discard them, unless you can find a breaker. I have seen after market rests attached to the rear box on an RT, but clearly these would not take any significant load.

BMW quote the kit at £430 + carriage on-line today, which seemed surprisingly reasonable, but perhaps I am missing something.

Good luck with the search.
1stexecutive likes this.
post #3 of 25 Old 12-28-2018, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks.

Not sure £430 is right but will check as my calculation of the various parts added to over £800 plus vat when I last asked a BMW retailer.

UK biker since 1997, former RT owner (last 2 bikes) and loving the amazing K1600 GTLE, since Nov 2017.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 12-28-2018, 08:59 AM

Garage
Give Motoworks a call and ask them
1stexecutive likes this.
post #5 of 25 Old 12-28-2018, 10:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Give Motoworks a call and ask them

Looks like they have got a GTL with armrests in the breakers shed, so you might be in luck ............ https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/T...ikesBroken.php

You are right about the costs OP. The quote I got, although it purported to be K16 armrests, was if fact just the support frame.
1stexecutive likes this.
post #6 of 25 Old 12-28-2018, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Many thanks guys. Most helpful, as always.

I will call them on 2/1/19, as photo shows K1600 armrest, but their on-line shop is not currently showing any armrests for sale 👍

post #7 of 25 Old 01-17-2019, 08:43 AM

I don't even collect my bike until this weekend, and the Mrs is asking me why it doesn't have arm rests like the LT did

1stExec - did you find any?

Is finding these on the second hand market like hunting rocking horse poo?
post #8 of 25 Old 01-18-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post

1stExec - did you find any?

Is finding these on the second hand market like hunting rocking horse poo?
You are right - they are equivalent to gold dust - very rare and impossible to get hold of. In the end, I opted to improvise and got a set from ebay of the armrests which fit GS model ...

Yes, not a perfect fit, but they look smart and should do the job at a rock bottom price. Still need to fit them on the bike...might take a few weeks but will post some picks once installed ...

One Pair Black Drilling Required Motorcycles Rear Box Armrest For R1200GS F800GS https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F163321607461

post #9 of 25 Old 01-18-2019, 04:30 PM

New and fits to the bike was £700
post #10 of 25 Old 01-19-2019, 05:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stexecutive View Post
You are right - they are equivalent to gold dust - very rare and impossible to get hold of. In the end, I opted to improvise and got a set from ebay of the armrests which fit GS model ...

Yes, not a perfect fit, but they look smart and should do the job at a rock bottom price. Still need to fit them on the bike...might take a few weeks but will post some picks once installed ...

One Pair Black Drilling Required Motorcycles Rear Box Armrest For R1200GS F800GS https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F163321607461

I mentioned these in my post 2, as I had seen them on an RT.

They may look the part on say a GS, but they rely on the top box/mount for strength. Whilst they will take the rested arm, when it comes to shuffling around or dismounts, it seems unlikely that they are capable of taking the load of a pillion rider leaning on them - it could wreck either the top box or its mount which has a surprisingly low load rating. That's why OE has that expensive framework, so do make sure your pillion takes great care.

Post 6 on this link shows the OE sub-frame, including the cutouts in the adjacent tupperware - it's quite a beefy set-up & post 21 shows a pdf of the installation............ https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-accessories/175114-installing-gtl-passenger-armrests.html
1stexecutive likes this.

Last edited by squibb; 01-19-2019 at 06:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page