Seat improvement - BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 04-23-2019, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Seat improvement

What can be done to improve the comfort of the standard seats?
Short of replacement at £600
Any options to replace padding, etc. within UK?

90mins is about all we can handle!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 04-23-2019, 09:38 AM

Garage
You can use an AirHawk seat cushion, they help when inflated correctly

A pint of sweat, saves a gallon of blood. George S. Patton
2014 K16GT
post #3 of 36 Old 04-23-2019, 10:07 AM

Try a local upholstery shop, you know where they do chairs and furniture. I was talking to the local dealer about my old bike and he gave me a card of a local guy that he said did great work for a lot less then the commercial guys. I moved to the GTL and it has a Russell Day seat so didn't use the "guy". I locked on the internet and found 4 guys within 50 miles that advertise that they work on motorcycle seats. Good luck and it's just a suggestion.
bill069 and Arch Stanton like this.

Ride, be safe, and help others!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 04-23-2019, 11:03 AM

You could try these guys who aren't too far away in Coventry: Custom Seats

They recently did a FZ8 seat for a friend and made a nice job of it.
Arch Stanton likes this.

Phil
2019 K1600 GT Sport
2015 W212 E63 AMG
post #5 of 36 Old 04-23-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
What can be done to improve the comfort of the standard seats?
For me (in the UK) I suffered the seat, now after about 5K miles, it's much more comfortable, maybe I've moulded to the saddle, so don't give up hope yet!

There are threads on here about wearing different underpants, ones that don't crease, but I'm not courageous enough to search those links out for you.

Joe
post #6 of 36 Old 04-23-2019, 12:03 PM

A custom saddle made to fit your weight and riding style is a huge improvement over stock. Every bike I own will have that figured into the purchase price.

There are simpler/cheaper options (gel pads, air cushions, the local upholstery shop) that vary in price and quality which may work for you or may not, but you won't know until you've already spent the money.

But one other important and often overlooked thing to consider for real long-distance comfort is what goes between you and the seat.

Jeans or work pants are good for everyday wear, but just don't cut it for long rides. Besides having seams that you sit on which cause irritation, they can retain moisture (either sweat or rain) which is bad for your skin. And they offer no padding or abrasion resistance, so even a very low-speed slide will result in some serious damage to your legs.

Some guys try creams, powders, and even padded bicycle shorts, none of which provide any real comfort, and all of which add other problems, such as clumping, sweating, and seam irritation.

Personally, I like the Aerostitch AD1 Pants, which are waterproof, breathable, comfortable, and have no seams to sit on. Under that goes LDComfort Undergarments, which are also breathable, comfortable, devoid of seams to sit on, and actively wick moisture away from your skin to avoid sweating, rashes, and irritation. I've tried many other brands of under- and over-pants in the past, and none of them have worked as well as my Aerostitch and LDComfort gear.

I have ridden more than a hundred different thousand-mile days in that gear, and dozens of 1,500-1,600-mile days in complete comfort in all weather conditions. Can't ask for much more than that.
ResQU and K16guy like this.

Ken IBA# 366
'13 K16GTL & '09 K13GT-LD
Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full.
All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 36 Old 04-23-2019, 12:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnybow View Post
You can use an AirHawk seat cushion, they help when inflated correctly
A friend of mine just finished an iron butt 1000 on his 2018 Goldwing using an AirHawk cushion and when I met him at the end of the ride he said his butt felt perfect. With out it he said he would have encountered some pain.

2016 Glacier Silver/matte blue vinyl wrap GTL
1975 Daytona Orange R90S
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650
IBA#9293 BMWRA#41092 BMWMOA#185857
2004 Red Corvette
2005 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler
post #8 of 36 Old 04-23-2019, 12:52 PM

Garage
Love my Airhawk. Many 20+ hour days in the saddle with no issues.
seaswede likes this.

2014 BMW GSA / 2012 GTL / 2009 HD CVO Road Glide

Operations Manager, Motorcycle Relief Project
post #9 of 36 Old 04-23-2019, 12:53 PM

Garage
I had mine modified by Tony Archer in Huddersfield, which was an improvement. He only modded the seat and didn't change the foam etc, so long distance comfort was still an issue. I ended up with a Sargent seat and that has much improved the long distance comfort.
post #10 of 36 Old 04-24-2019, 08:32 AM

Garage
Arch ....... are we talking GT or GTL?- I can't see your 'garage'. Either way I'm guessing you may have a Low seat option. Maybe NOG or Wollaston could let you try a K16 with the std/high seat.

Alternatively call/email Tony Archer .......... https://tonyarcher.co.uk/services/bike-seats/ He can mod your seat to your spec, within reason. The only issue, at this stage of the season, is the timings - hence an airhawk may prove the short term solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW K1600 Forum : BMW K1600 GT and GTL Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page