BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve always been leery of putting my iPhone on a plastic stand, regardless of brand. These are pix of items I decided on that are sturdy, non marring, metal, and removable in seconds. The phone holder shown (Ulanzi) is beefy and has screw down, glued in pads in the jaws. It will take most cases. These items are photographic mounts used for lights, screens, cameras on a photo set. Ebay and Amazon has them approx $10 each piece shipped. There are two separate billet style pieces equaling one mount in the pictures shown. Costing under $25 bucks! Forgive my attempts to capture them on the bike as everything is black on the BGA almost! (Exception:The yellow is a proprietary Amazon floating plastic handle for STD action cams, the only one with a 1/4” threaded tripod insert at the bottom.) The (Jansite) phone holder pictured in the box has three brass insert points, and great rotation capabilities for a beefy plastic mount. (I’ll be returning it.) Everything else I’ve shown is metal. A nifty 5 piece replacement set of billet aluminum camera mount screws/wrench, supposedly salt water resistant, and a threaded cam mount is under $10 too! The name brands are visible.A safety lanyard is not a bad idea, but so far, mine have not loosened up. (I’m not a fan of spring loaded phone mounts). There is an enormous amount of flexibility. Get creative. The big thing is the handlebar Mount section, I believe. It’s well padded, you can crank it down, check it while riding, and remove it quickly at a stopping place. The “Small Rig” clamp also has 3/8” threaded holes for heavier stuff! I mount on each side of the bar mount (low) and adjust to have no obstruction of dashboard. That leaves the high side cross bar empty. Browse Amazon and EBay. USA sellers ship faster. Hope someone finds these pics helpful.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
I would also be leery of using any of those items that are for photographers - they are not meant for the rigors of mc riding so I am not sure how well they would hold up and/or stay tightened after bouncing around all day. I have done my fair share of amateur photography and it is amazing how easily those ball sockets and so forth can come loose just by having the weight of the gear hanging off of them - Seems that I am always having to tighten/adjust them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I am returning the plastic spring mount.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So far, with these beefy metal pieces, I haven’t had a loosening problem. After all, I’m on a cruiser! But certainly that’s a possibility. My $25 is well spent, I think ?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That’s some fine American workmanship! Beautiful stuff! ????

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, that’s another nice one!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is the other, beefiest ball mount one I put together; probably put a SLR on it! Easily adjustable large knurled knob with gloves on. Clamp $10, Ball $12, phone mount $10, for under $35 total.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a GTL and I use the Ram Claw and their phone/iPod mount. It works great and has 4 points of contact and it’s spring loaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts