BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Can't believe you guys are poking fun at our very own Matt Wise. The forum member with the highest placement in this years IronButt rally. He rode 11,000 miles in 10 days. I'm guessing that a combination of good interstates, along with proper inflation had more to do with his good mileage report than did his riding style.

Although that whole Prius thing was pretty darn funny... :gm

·
Premium Member
5,936 Posts
Here is some food for thought:

Coming from an ST1300 I have several friends and relatives who ride those bikes. Two of us were getting around 10K on our Michelin PR2/3 tires. Two of them are getting up to 17K or more on their PR2/3 tires. I've seen these tires so can verify their longevity.

The difference I noticed is that the 10K guys are riding 90% asphalt/chip seal 2 lane roads one in Wisconsin/Illinois and the other, me, in Arizona. Where as the 17K guys are running 90% concrete 4 lane roads. One in Iowa and the other in Phoenix.

I've run through 2 sets of PR3s on my GTL and even though I've taken them off at around 7,500 miles, do to up coming long trips, I would say they still have maybe 2,000 miles left in them so I will put them back on someday. I just ordered a PR2 for my next install and will see how it does compared to the PR3.

I would like to try the Michelin Commander II but it only comes in 160mm and 200mm widths in the 17" dia. tire. I measured and don't think the 200mm will fit without rubbing the drive shaft housing.

I may try the Avon AV56 Storm 2 Ultra 190/50ZR17 73W next. I've gotten up to 18,000 miles on the Avon tires I've put on my Valkyrie. The 50% aspect ratio doesn't concern me or the 73W because 99.9% of the time I'm riding 1 up and the difference between 73W and 75W is only 48lbs.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
The NASCAR guys always say that the concrete roads wear tires much faster than asphalt.

Most of Phoenix has rubberized asphalt on its freeways, you would think that would have minimal tire wear.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
The NASCAR guys always say that the concrete roads wear tires much faster than asphalt.

Most of Phoenix has rubberized asphalt on its freeways, you would think that would have minimal tire wear.

Ride some twisties with that glass-bead embedded into the asphalt. You won't be getting any Prius award evah!.. maybe more like the Hummer H2 Award. (H1's were diesel and more efficient)

·
Super Moderator
17,036 Posts
(H1's were diesel and more efficient)
Personal experience with a diesel H1, maintained by Rod Hall, was that it was less reliable than a Yugo or Fiat. Not to be trusted beyond the tow distance form the repair shop.

Nearly unstoppable off-road though, as we tried to catch it with hidden traps. Track hoe excavated pits and all.

·
Registered
346 Posts
OK, that does it!
I just used our forums wonderful search function and did not come up with a thread for a tire mileage poll. I don't know how to create a poll but if anyone else is curious about what people are getting for mileage (actual not anticipated and honest) (dark side car tire people need not apply) and knows how to create a poll, PLEASE start one. May I suggest: 2000 mile increments, front and rear and we don't really have to do a lot of commenting just select your range in the poll. And at the end of the year those in the top category could step up, announce their mileage for the chance to win the prize.
I would gladly create a plaque and ship it to this year's winner. Possibly another contest on what it would be called? My nominations, with all due respect :bow: or :lol: would be, again, the Prius Award or the Vespadictorian Award.
great ideal; I just bought my first pr3. when i get them in and mounted I will sent pic of the mileage and tire. Also I think we should do just the rear tire. It gets the most work any way. I am looking to get the best price as well. I paid 194.00 on line can someone beat this price. My k16 has about 11897 miles, had it since 9/2012. thinking about giving it a 1yr. cake and party. hahaha. I have pr2 now, impressive when new and in the rain. I ride everyday. I parked my truck and k16 everyday, rain included. Well in Bama it snowed one day. I drove truck then. High winds bothers me, but I keeps going. So let's start the poll. By the way any one going to thunder on the beach. Panama City, Fl.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

21 - 31 of 31 Posts