BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a little advice from our Oregon members.

I will be leaving Eugene early Saturday 18th August morning with my camp reservation booked for that night just north west of Sacramento, on my trip to DarBQ 2018

Here is my question. Do I hug the coast and the 101 or do I try and go inland to hit the national forests?
Anything I should be particularly aiming for to visit on the way? I know its a long day in the saddle but that's how I like it :)

Cheers

Charlie

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
From a non-Oregon member ... :eek:

I'd suggest to do one route on the way out, and the other on the way back. My motto when on a day ride or a trip ... is to never run the same road twice (if possible) :tb

-

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From a non-Oregon member ... :eek:

I'd suggest to do one route on the way out, and the other on the way back. My motto when on a day ride or a trip ... is to never run the same road twice (if possible) :tb

-

I'm on a ten day trip. But when we are finished at DarBQ I will be heading purely North West to get back to Vancouver Canada PDQ.

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
Decisions decisions. I wish I had that tough choice!! Lucky you! I'm I-70 west across KS or I-80 west across NE and a couple hours extra seat time in the heat of the day. Ha! Safe travels!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
We are returning from the Oregon coast currently. Started in Austorai and ended in Florence before heading East to go back home. 101 was a Zoo! People driving slow, people passing cars on double yellows an people pulling out in front of us. We tried to hit all the yellow and red roads (suggested for twisties) from the Butler motorcycle maps. We found some truly amazing roads away from the coast.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
I'm not from Oregon, but have traveled extensively in that area. I was there just last month. I would stay towards the coast as long as I can as it's going to be hot in the valley.

If it were me, I'd head west from Eugene to Florence; I think it's OR 126 or the Florence-Eugene Highway. Then take 101 south to CA 20 west towards Clear Lake and I-5. Continue to I-5 south until you reach your camping place NW of Sacramento. Once 101 ventures eastward south of Eureka, you'll start to feel the valley heat.

This way is also 600 miles so consider your travel times. Best of luck, ride safe.

PM me if you head towards Lake Tahoe on US 50 and take that route to Colorado. I'm nearby and we can meet for a quick meal or cup of coffee. I just came home from my 4400 mile trip through NV, CA, OR, WA, BC, AB, MT, SD, WY, CO then home again.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PM me if you head towards Lake Tahoe on US 50 and take that route to Colorado. I'm nearby and we can meet for a quick meal or cup of coffee. I just came home from my 4400 mile trip through NV, CA, OR, WA, BC, AB, MT, SD, WY, CO then home again.

I'm staying not too far from lake Tahoe the next day. At a Federal Campground at Findley.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
I live 2 blocks west of 101 on the central coast. Between mid April & the end of September it is a zoo around here. As nigelhobbes said it can be & is crazy. The town I live in has a population the rest of the year of about 1300. Now with all the tourists that swells to near 6000. I went to the post office at noon today. Never got there. While waiting to cross 101, I stopped counting cars when I got to 280, & that was only counting those going south. There was no break long enough to run across with my dog. Between pick ups with 5th wheelers or campers, motor homes the size of a transit bus & towing a full sized car, kids darting into traffic, & just about every vehicle slowing down to take pictures, it is a true challenge to get through without an incident or three. If you do choose 101, start just as the sun comes up. Be prepared to do less than the posted limit, as a good deal of it has no safe place to pass, even with the acceleration of the K.

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
As others have said, 101 will be slow going, perhaps slower than Google predicts. There are just so many motorhomes and other vacationers that you really can't move along at much of a pace. It may, however, get a little better as you get farther down the coast.

It is likely to be much warmer inland, however. The forest should be better than the I-5 route, but still warm.

With the exception of a couple of relatively short segments, there really isn't much for N/S routes between I5 and the coast...too mountainous.

Not sure if you want a basically direct route or a bit of an adventure...

There is a really fun run from Eugene to the coast at Reedsport on North Smith River Road. I'm pretty sure it went through Alma and Vincent Creek Campground, but not certain. Last year, the road had a fair number of potholes. They're well spaced and the road quality was generally pretty good. It appears the potholes were marked for repair...they all had been painted with a white circle around them...must stay alert on this road, particularly since it is heavily tree lined with scattered sunlight. There were a couple of short gravel segments IIRC.

I do know that 199 between Grants Pass and Crescent City is a nice run and more or less puts you in the right direction.

96 from just north of Yreka to Willow Creek is a great run (except for a flat tire I had in a construction zone last summer). It is a lightly traveled twisty route but could take a fair amount of time.

299 From Willow Creek most of the way to Redding is good...good road quality, more traffic, more sweeping turns than twists.

The run between Cave Junction and Happy Camp looks interesting. I had planned to take it last summer until I had that flat and had to make a change to my plans. I can't say what that road quality is like but the number of turns is compelling.

US 97 in Oregon, while not an interstate isn't all that much better. It is primarily straight.

Crater Lake is always a sight worth seeing and you're going to be really close to it. However, we were there on July 3rd and it as not worth what we had to go through in traffic. Took 20+ minutes just to wait through the line to get into the park Inside was not much better.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Central OR member here...

Agreed about Hwy 97 being arrow straight. I'd suggest avoiding Crater Lake as well since there's a pretty sizeable forest fire down there right now and the smoke is rather thick. Same for the area around Medford.

If you are coming through Bend, please do give me a ring (details on the member map thingie). You can park the K bike for a bit and use a couple of my kayaks for a nice float down the Deschutes river.

~BradS

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for taking the time to post your advice and guidance.

Its very much appreciated

·
Registered
216 Posts
Charlie,

101 is cooler with beautiful views of the ocean but slower...Hyw 5 is hot with aggressive commuters, trucks but faster, 97 is more isolated and hot, kinda boring.

Your choice,

Paul

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
There’s cool roads off of 101, and you can enjoy some cool stops.

If in Eugene, head up Chambers Rd (South), take a right on Lorraine Hwy (West), then left on Territorial Hwy (South). Follow Territoial past King Estate Winery (I highly recommend a stop there, food and view). Continue South. Then take a right on Hwy 38 (South and West). Continue through Drain, and Elkton (you can have wood fired pizza, pastries, lunch, breakfast, in Elkton at Tomasellis). Continue west on 38, to Reedsport (I recommend fish and chips at the Schooner Inn Cafe).

From Reedsport, take 101 Souuth to Crescent City. At or just before Crescent you can take a short ride to Jeddidia Smith Redwoods. Then 101 down to Humbolt Redwoods. South again on 101 to Orick and Prarie Creek Redwoods. Then 101 to Santa Rosa. Note: I’d sure be tempted to cut off 101 in Leggett to 1 to continue hugging the coast.

I’ve had a good sandwich at one of those Redwood Parks (Northern two) in one of the visitors center, but I can’t remember which one. :)

As others have mentioned, it’s busy on 101 now, but a good ride. There’s plenty of places to stop south of Reedsport such as Arcata, CA, which has a couple of really cool B & B’s.

Also, you didn’t mention how you’re getting to Eugene...there’s great wineries scattered along 99 at Newburg, and an Air museum (Spruce Goose), and McMenamins (food, beer) in McMinville. 99 will take you into Corvallis, and you can take Peoria road (sweepers through farmland) into Harrisburg, then 99 to Junction City, then South of JC, Prarie Road to Northwest Expressway into Eugene.

There’s also clear gas at Chevron at 99, and Irving Rd in North Eugene, and at the Loraine market in Loraine (South of Eugene).

Safe riding!

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts
These sort of questions are made difficult to answer unless the necessary additional information is added. Information which allows the answer to be tailored to the desires of those asking the question.

1) Do you enjoy riding slow behind RV, stopping at all the normal tourist spots?

2) Is finding the local favorite places to eat a priority?

3) Do you prefer backroads?

4) Eugene to Sacramento is a hike. Long hikes usually preclude riding the most enjoyable roads.

My favorite roads look like this, roads which saw back and forth across the twisty backroads.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1) Do you enjoy riding slow behind RV, stopping at all the normal tourist spots? No

2) Is finding the local favorite places to eat a priority? Absolutely not. Six monthsa go this would have been a very different answer

3) Do you prefer backroads? yes

4) Eugene to Sacramento is a hike. Long hikes usually preclude riding the most enjoyable roads. Agreed. I always set myself very aggressive routes. I don't get much free time so when I do I want to make the most of the time available and cover as much ground as possible. I also understand that this can be a detriment. Its something I need to work on.

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
1) Do you enjoy riding slow behind RV, stopping at all the normal tourist spots? No

2) Is finding the local favorite places to eat a priority? Absolutely not. Six monthsa go this would have been a very different answer

3) Do you prefer backroads? yes

4) Eugene to Sacramento is a hike. Long hikes usually preclude riding the most enjoyable roads. Agreed. I always set myself very aggressive routes. I don't get much free time so when I do I want to make the most of the time available and cover as much ground as possible. I also understand that this can be a detriment. Its something I need to work on.
Agree with RL's comments in #4.

Eugene to Sacramento, staying off of main highways, is a really long way to go in one day. I think you're going to end up on I5 for a few hours no matter what you do unless you're riding for 17-20 hours. I just plotted a potentially interesting route and it is over 15 hours with 2-3 of it still on I5...

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Eugene,+OR/Sacramento,+CA/@41.5784663,-126.0278544,7.25z/data=!4m49!4m48!1m40!1m1!1s0x54c119b0ac501919:0x57ec61894a43894d!2m2!1d-123.0867536!2d44.0520691!3m4!1m2!1d-122.6026745!2d43.4850942!3s0x54c6e7fb62f3adb1:0x725941cad491351!3m4!1m2!1d-122.7488698!2d43.2730398!3s0x54c68de39c966297:0x148c9bf0a787664a!3m4!1m2!1d-122.6999899!2d43.2236848!3s0x54c68eaef2c02385:0x2a70e394877dd13!3m4!1m2!1d-122.8407218!2d42.6911411!3s0x54c5ec0f883cbe6b:0xcc5e9e935c996d26!3m4!1m2!1d-123.3745605!2d41.7987025!3s0x54cfd7b843224479:0x1ab2b5e1e492d06a!3m4!1m2!1d-123.633314!2d40.9433807!3s0x54d3d8372479c92b:0x28b88582ea6cd640!3m4!1m2!1d-122.9743805!2d40.3696221!3s0x54d313e1cc92e49f:0x2d4931403b225ea6!1m5!1m1!1s0x809ac672b28397f9:0x921f6aaa74197fdb!2m2!1d-121.4943996!2d38.5815719!3e0?hl=en

I'm sure you could beat Google if constantly riding, but you do have meals, gas, and stretch breaks to work in.

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts
I would cancel Sacramento to take on some of take in roads you will be passing right past otherwise. So far west deserves taking in the great mountain passes.

Even of that means you have to superslab it the rest of the way home.

I have some absolute must-ride roads in that area. World class best of the best roads.

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts
But then, I also have some undeniably phoneminal roads east of Sacramento too. One in particular requires a U-turn because of rock slides. This means zero traffic.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
When I would visit my daughter while she was at school in Eugene, I’d use this route to come home. I’ve adjusted it for your use.

Leave Eugene via I-5 south to OR 58.

Continue on OR 58 to US 97. South on US 97 or OR 39.

OR 39 turns into CA 139 and the border. Continue south on 139 to Susanville.

From Susanville, take US 395 south to CA 70.

West on CA 70 to CA 49.

Continue on CA 49 to CA 89 at Sierraville.

From Sierraville, Findley Campground is about 11 miles south.

It’ll be a hot 450 miles or so. There’s plenty of gas and convenience stores along the way to get something cold to drink. It’s probably the shortest way and it’ll allow you to hop into Jackson Meadow Reservoir to cool off a lot quicker than most other ways.

Happy trails.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you all. I really appreciate the time it took you all to put these suggestions together.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts