BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh the horror of choices! :unsure:

I've just come home from visiting a local dealer.

While being surrounded by great `bikes was a nice experience, I'm in a bit of a quandary.

I'm most certainly getting myself a long-overdue present in the form of a pre-loved K1600 but am quite unsure as to which.

I'm used to my old Yamaha xj600/xj900s so I tend to gravitate to the GT for it's riding position, but the GTL is a bit more comfortable.

However, the specs of the available GT's aren't quite what I'm hoping for whereas there are a couple of interesting GTLs with "the right specs".

One is a 2011 model with about 110Kkm on the clock, the other is a 2015 with about 30Kkm. Both with a reasonable service history and come with a dealer warranty.

For either of the GTLs I'd be looking to get the higher seat, moving the top case forward (with a GT top plate) and getting a GPS unit.

I've also considered swapping out the handle bars for GT ones, but that may be for a later date.

The dealer offered to sort out the topcase, seat, new switchgear on the handlebars and a used Navigator 6 for an additional 10% of the asking price - on the 2011 model. The 2015 one is about 25% more expensive and will require similar alterations/additions.

Hence I seek the wisdom of this forum - what say you all?

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
2015, new switchgear would only be a recall that hasn't been done, you can get a Nav 5 from Ebay for reasonable price, unless you need a 6. Case movement is minimal I believe, bars could be had from Ebay also. Seats are rarer, £300 new in the UK from BMW

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
2011/2012 were prone to piston, switch, and water pump failures. You can bet the switches and water pump have been changed on the 2011 you're looking at. Unless the motor has been replaced the piston issue lingers. Personally, I'd stay away from the 2011 at all costs..

Duane

·
Registered
441 Posts
Oh the horror of choices! :unsure: ... the specs of the available GT's aren't quite what I'm hoping for whereas there are a couple of interesting GTLs with "the right specs".
What specs does the GTL have right that are missing on the GT?

Between having the right specs, and more comfortable, less mileage, and newer, I assume price is the only reason you are looking at the 2011 GT.

Getting the GTL also makes Gunnert's concern about 2011s moot, though I think he overstates them. Well, not the switch issue. If they have not been replaced with newer ones, there is no why I'd buy it. I went through 5 of those **** $530 plus installation things.

I am not sure what a Kkm is but 30K of them should have sorted out any obvious issues.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not sure what a Kkm is but 30K of them should have sorted out any obvious issues.
Well - stricly speaking I should've written 30Mm (Mega-meters) i guess ;)

The "right specs" is a bit fuzzy I suppose. As far as I can tell, the basic machine is exactly the same - the differences (apart from the riding position) seem to be the"toys" (Audio system, heated grips/seats, electric suspension etc.)

The available GT's here (again, pre-loved) all seem to have had original owners who weren't interested in that sort of thing and (supposedly) just wanted a "basic" crotch-rocket?

·
Registered
518 Posts
I had three, a 2012 GT, a 2015 GT Sport and a 2017 GT Sport. The 2012 bike had a gearbox like a tractor, I remember bruising my toe with it. Each bike got better and more refined, the 2017 bike had a lovely gearbox and was was well sorted.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Not really sure why you would buy a GTL and try to convert it to a GT? Wouldn't it be better just to hunt around and look for a good 2015 GT with a Top Box already fitted? But if you do go that route:

2011 - 2016 GTLs (v GT) has
  • 2ltrs bigger fuel tank
  • Slightly softer suspension
  • A speed limiter set about 140mph
Obviously the riding position is different and the rack/hand rails/seat/handlebars/footpegs are different.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
I've had both the 2011 and the 2015 K1600GT's and I think the sweet spot for a used GT is the 2015. Don't get any year before the 15 or after the 17. Before the 15 there are engine problems and after the 17 the engine mapping was changed losing some of the fun. There is a markable difference between the GT and the GTL. They are different bikes with the same engine. Ride them both and decide which bike you want. For me if BMW had never made the GT I would have never owned a 1600. There are a lot of great used GT's and GTL's accross the country so don't be lazy and settle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great input so far! :)

After I posted my initial query I had a bit of feline therapy (2 cats resting on my chest/lap while lying on the couch - heartily recommended) and a good long think.

Despite only sitting on the GT briefly, the experience stayed with me and my only conclusion could be (as others have mentioned) why try to convert a GTL into a GT?!?!??!!

Unfortunately there aren't many "loaded" GTs available in my neck of the woods (Denmark) so I guess I'll have to make do with what I have and try to wait patiently for the right `bike to turn up.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Imo, given what you’ve stated, you need to pick the bike that fits you best / is most comfortable.

For me (and is wager many here), re the GT, GTL: I sat on one and was like ahhhhhh yeah. And sat on the other and got right off. Bought the first one.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Just my point of view is that you buy the latest and greatest that you can afford. At least with a 2015 most of the major issues were resolved.

·
Premium Member
2,877 Posts
Great input so far! :)

After I posted my initial query I had a bit of feline therapy (2 cats resting on my chest/lap while lying on the couch - heartily recommended) and a good long think.

Despite only sitting on the GT briefly, the experience stayed with me and my only conclusion could be (as others have mentioned) why try to convert a GTL into a GT?!?!??!!

Unfortunately there aren't many "loaded" GTs available in my neck of the woods (Denmark) so I guess I'll have to make do with what I have and try to wait patiently for the right `bike to turn up.
There is a good selection of K1600 GTs in neighboring Germany. Importing to Denmark is a non issue thanks to the European Union. I can offer help in doing that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There is a good selection of K1600 GTs in neighboring Germany. Importing to Denmark is a non issue thanks to the European Union. I can offer help in doing that.
Thanks for the offer, but I'm not sure I'm ready to import - that seems a bit risky to me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts