BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 GTL with ~140k miles on it. I have recently retired and am planning on putting on some serious, sort of, miles.
Has anyone had any unusual issues when approaching 200k - 300k miles?
The most miles I have had on BMWs are ~150k each on a couple of R100s, one 1980 - one 1990.
So far I've only had the early switches and water pump stuff, nothing serious. My valves are still squarely in the center of the tolerance at my last 18k check and all scheduled services have been done usually within 1k of when they were due.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Regular maintenance. You're good to go. Just stay on top of it.

·
Premium Member
6,396 Posts
If you haven't done them yet you can bank on shocks being shot..

Duane

·
Registered
678 Posts
Oil change, spark plugs and air filter if you been following the maintence guide you should be sound as a pound

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Oil change, spark plugs and air filter if you been following the maintence guide you should be sound as a pound
Good to know my '12 GTL with 70,000 mi. is only 1/3 to 1/2 through its life cycle. I've got a lot more rides planned!

·
Registered
678 Posts
If you dont wash you bike or change the fuilds in the clutch, gearbox, or brakes then yes youll run into problems. If your tires are worn etc. Anything wear and tear. As far as engine goes. As long as you been changed that oil and you broke it in right and havent been flooring it every time your on it. Man that bike will surpass you. Mostly likely youll upgrade sooner before it brakes.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Congratulations on your 140K miles! I have 96K miles on my 2015 GT.

It is great to hear about people riding these bikes towards the mileage they can achieve with proper maintenance rather than falling into the marketing trap that next year's model must be better.

As @Gunnert recommends, check your shocks. I am looking at replacing mine soon.

Change your front wheel bearings. I had a catastrophic failure with my front bearings late last year that resulted in a new front axle, new front wheel and new front brakes. While my Service Manager said that they check the bearings every time a front tire is changed, if a single bearing ball cracks, a major failure will follow very quickly.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I got a new motor at 36,000. New drive shaft at 44,000. Getting a 19, selling a nice pre-order 12 with 54,000.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2012 GTL with ~140k miles on it. I have recently retired and am planning on putting on some serious, sort of, miles.
The most miles I have had on BMWs are ~150k each on a couple of R100s, one 1980 - one 1990.
So far I've only had the early switches and water pump stuff, nothing serious. My valves are still squarely in the center of the tolerance at my last 18k check and all scheduled services have been done usually within 1k of when they were due.
I have 240K KM on a 2012 going better than ever.Virtually no issues in 8 years

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have 240K KM on a 2012 going better than ever.Virtually no issues in 8 years
Let's see, ? .62 km per mi...that can't be right... A km is less than a mile... so...oh, .62 240÷.62=342,000. ...or is it ×??
? Btw, for all you Americans, it's just under 150k.

Seriously? No water pump, left or right switch, front fork ball joints (my only real surprise), coils? Most of my issues were sorted out under warranty. But nothing for you?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Very impressive !!! Great to know you could reach that high or more. I do believe it is how you ride as well, like any other machine. Happy riding....!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Interesting thread, for sure!

Sold my R1100RT a couple of days ago and I'm going to get into a 2012 GTL Premium in the next few weeks. It has a little over 40K miles, so not high miles, but hopefully I'll have a lot of miles ahead of me with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts