BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just did a spark plug change and valve check, and after assembly of everything I get no start.
Fuel pump works, air filter is ok, but I have no spark on any new spark plug neither on old ones. Any suggestions?
I tried to route the wiring harness to the point where it connects, but there is not much space above the head.

Many thanks for guiding me the right direction, if possible.

·
Registered
924 Posts
How do you know you have no spark?

Maybe you didn't get the coils seated. Maybe the wires aren't clipped in to the coils correctly. Maybe the wires are switched around and the firing order is totally off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do you know you have no spark?

Maybe you didn't get the coils seated. Maybe the wires aren't clipped in to the coils correctly. Maybe the wires are switched around and the firing order is totally off.
I took the spark plug out, installed the coil outside (click heard) and grounded the plug to the minus of battery to be 100% sure. Then I tried to start and watched for spark.
I am pretty sure that coil cables are installed in correct order, I checked it with the diagram on realoem.

·
Registered
924 Posts
My first thought was that something you disconnected didn't get properly reconnected.

Do you have a GS-911? Maybe the OBD detected some fault condition and is preventing the bike from starting (by cutting the spark off) until the fault is cleared.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My first thought was that something you disconnected didn't get properly reconnected.

Do you have a GS-911? Maybe the OBD detected some fault condition and is preventing the bike from starting (by cutting the spark off) until the fault is cleared.
I have the same feeling. But I am thinking and looking for it for almost 2 days, and yet found nothonig.
Unfortunately I do not have GS911, I have to find someone who can borrow it to me.
Do you know where the wiring harness for the coils ends?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Sorry, I don't know where the wiring harness goes. But, if you didn't disconnect it, it seems unlikely that it would be involved. Maybe some parts diagram would show it:

I wonder if disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes or so and then reconnecting it would reset something.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Oh, and make sure the battery is fully charged. And able to deliver the amps. You might try swapping in a known good battery.

Reactions: Gunnert

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hi, I just did a spark plug change and valve check, and after assembly of everything I get no start.
Fuel pump works, air filter is ok, but I have no spark on any new spark plug neither on old ones. Any suggestions?
I tried to route the wiring harness to the point where it connects, but there is not much space above the head.

Many thanks for guiding me the right direction, if possible.
Did the valve check require any bucket changes? - was the cams and cam-crank timing disturbed?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did the valve check require any bucket changes? - was the cams and cam-crank timing disturbed?
No it did not, everything was between 0.13 - 0.23 - 0.33. I did not move with camshafts or timing chain.
Also the engine light is not on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry, I don't know where the wiring harness goes. But, if you didn't disconnect it, it seems unlikely that it would be involved. Maybe some parts diagram would show it:

Yes I did it as carefully as I was able, but you never know.
I thought that reconnecting this connector might help. But I do not see any obvious way to disconnect it.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Until you get yours hands on a GS-911 to look for fault codes, here is another thing to consider trying: Pull the ECU and clean the contacts. That is a real long shot, since what you are seeing probably didn't just crop up coincidentally but is most likely related to something you did during the coil replacement and valve check; but with any weird electrical problem it is worth cleaning the ECU pins.

Good luck and be sure to let us know what eventually turns up.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Kill Switch on ?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Kill Switch on ?
Are the kill switch and start button different on the 2012? Same switch (rocker) on my 2018.

But, it makes me wonder: Is the Neutral light on? If the bike thinks it's in gear with the side stand down, that'd stop the plugs from firing I think.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are the kill switch and start button different on the 2012? Same switch (rocker) on my 2018.

But, it makes me wonder: Is the Neutral light on? If the bike thinks it's in gear with the side stand down, that'd stop the plugs from firing I think.
The bike cranks, primes, only not firing the spark.
It is in N, the light shows and when cranks, rear wheel is not turning of course.

I just unplugged CDI connectors, and later today I will apply contact spray.
We will see...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Not that familiar with this engine, yet, ...is there any risk turning the crank backwards while doing the valve clearance check and no oil pressure on the timing chain tensioner?

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
I read about someone who did the same job and failed to correctly connect the crank sensor, which prevented the bike from starting. There is a sensor at the bottom of the motor on the passanger (in NA) that is part of the fan loom. I was very careful to make sure that was plugged back in when I did mine.

Reactions: 1004ron

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I read about someone who did the same job and failed to correctly connect the crank sensor, which prevented the bike from starting. There is a sensor at the bottom of the motor on the passanger (in NA) that is part of the fan loom. I was very careful to make sure that was plugged back in when I did mine.
Thanks for the tip, I will double check it.
I event think, that I was not forced to uplug this cable, and I was able to move it away so it did not interfered with head cover.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Today's update:
After reconnecting all connectors again (they were correctly plugged, it is not in my opinion even possible), it sparks, but I think in 2 of 3 cases. Its hearable, that has tendency to start, but I tried last evening for about 10 minutes and it did not catch. Over night on charger and in the morning test again, did not start.
If the signal for CDI to spark is conditioned by the signal of camshaft sensor, that could be a problem.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts